I Retired Yesterday!

kevinmi

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Burn out is a real thing.  I've had the same job for 21 years and it's hard to get excited anymore.  I do my best to do a good job everyday but the thrill is gone.

That's how it was with me at GM. With all the BS going on with the union corruption and being a contract year, it was getting unbearable. Workin' for a livin' is a young man's game!

• Like 1

Congratulations on your retirement. i went out on a disability retirement from my last job after 22 years back in 2010. Next year I rollover to my regular retirement, and hopefully SS.  The last 8 years were unbearable, and in the end i found out that 8 years of the stress from  my job caused a lot of health problems...hence why i am now on disability. My Wife who is 19 years younger then i am, could not understand how it is to go to work hating every minute of it.  She loved her job (since she was her own boss). Now that we moved to Mexico neither of us works, but she is getting  the itch to return to working again. I told her I am never returning to work...time now to be spent on what i want to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellisr63 said:

Congratulations on your retirement. i went out on a disability retirement from my last job after 22 years back in 2010. Next year I rollover to my regular retirement, and hopefully SS.  The last 8 years were unbearable, and in the end i found out that 8 years of the stress from  my job caused a lot of health problems...hence why i am now on disability. My Wife who is 19 years younger then i am, could not understand how it is to go to work hating every minute of it.  She loved her job (since she was her own boss). Now that we moved to Mexico neither of us works, but she is getting  the itch to return to working again. I told her I am never returning to work...time now to be spent on what i want to do.

I've had 5 surgeries in the last 9 years. I'm fighting for SS disability right now. Moving to Mexico was something I often thought about. Your money will last longer, for sure!

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, kevinmi said:

Workin' for a livin' is a young man's game!

😂.  I hope it will be some years to come before I say the same.   Then again... Working 50% of the time you are actually at work and only having to work 3 days a week might have something to do with it.  Congrats on your retirement and enjoy!  Stick around here and I'm sure many will help you burn through some retirement money quickly (but you will love every minute of it). 

but not your life

Crime is no worse than any major City in the USA. We have been here since November 2017 and love it. Is there crime...yes, is it violent, 99% no. in the USA if you get mugged you are lucky if you end up in the hospital instead of the cemetary. Medical costs are a small percentage if the USA. I have a prescription that is $500 without insurance in the USA, and is around $200 with insurance...here it is $35. My pacemaker was $250K in the USA. Here it is $35k. Car insurance for full coverage on our 2012 Kia van was $600. Food is about 1/2 (or lower) what it is the USA. We bought almost a 3000SQFT home that was 3 years old for $250k which would have cost us easily $2million in the Bay area. property taxes on our old $850k home was almost $10k...here it was under $300 a year. Electricity is under $100...most people pay $50. Gas is about the same as it was in California. Dinner for 2 in a real nice restaurant is under $500 pesos (around $25). We live in one of the most expensive areas in Mexico too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Reporting Crimes in US and Mexico

If an assault or murder happens anywhere in the U.S., people are likely to call the police and tell them what they saw or heard. Investigations are conducted, evidence is gathered, suspects are apprehended, and trials occur. Fundamentally, if you get hurt at Disneyland or in the Grand Canyon or on Waikiki Beach, the authorities will help you. In Mexico, only 25 percent of crimes are reported and only 5 percent are successfully prosecuted because everyone is afraid of (often fatal) retaliation by drug cartels and criminal gangs. Reporters in Mexico don’t use their names in bylines or report the names of suspects. News blackouts are common, and corruption rates within Mexican municipal governments and police departments are sky high.

3 minutes ago, USNRET said:
Reporting Crimes in US and Mexico

If an assault or murder happens anywhere in the U.S., people are likely to call the police and tell them what they saw or heard. Investigations are conducted, evidence is gathered, suspects are apprehended, and trials occur. Fundamentally, if you get hurt at Disneyland or in the Grand Canyon or on Waikiki Beach, the authorities will help you. In Mexico, only 25 percent of crimes are reported and only 5 percent are successfully prosecuted because everyone is afraid of (often fatal) retaliation by drug cartels and criminal gangs. Reporters in Mexico don’t use their names in bylines or report the names of suspects. News blackouts are common, and corruption rates within Mexican municipal governments and police departments are sky high.

Fake news right?

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Fake news right?

If you say so.
Frankly I have traveled the world and I have no desire to live anywhere but the U.S. of A. regardless of crime rate. I live within 2 hours of the Mexican border and will never travel closer by choice. My work requires that I go to certain places south and way south of Texas but the eh, conditions are not like living there as the protection is better.

I refused to allow my teenage daughter to spend 2 months in Europe with a school group this summer as my travels there have not been enjoyable; shot at, hit by stones, intentionally served bad food yada yada.

I am a picky eater, do not have the ability to learn languages, want my creature comforts (electricity with heat and air) etc, etc.

While I would love to find a place to retire that meets the above at a significantly lower cost of living I ain't found that place yet.

Thankfully you seem to have a different take....good for you.

• Like 1