Worried about RP-600m port

themeuge

I currently have a pair of old RB-5IIs as part of a 5.1 all-klipsch setup. These are placed on shelves of a wooden built-in that houses my TV, center and front speakers. The RB-5IIs have a front facing port that can breathe. I was thinking of upgrading to the RP-600m, but I am worried that the rear-facing port would muddy the noise or create vibration because it faces an enclosed space. Does anyone have any insight or advice?

16 hours ago, themeuge said:

I currently have a pair of old RB-5IIs as part of a 5.1 all-klipsch setup. These are placed on shelves of a wooden built-in that houses my TV, center and front speakers. The RB-5IIs have a front facing port that can breathe. I was thinking of upgrading to the RP-600m, but I am worried that the rear-facing port would muddy the noise or create vibration because it faces an enclosed space. Does anyone have any insight or advice?

Welcome to the forum.

I've used an RC-7 (rear ported) in a cabinet for years with no issue.  I did however put egg crate material on the wall behind it to be on the safe side but never did a before/after comparison to see if it was really necessary.

Thank you for the very rapid reply!

I guess my other question would be whether you thought that RB-5II to RP-600m was a worthwhile upgrade, rather than a sidestep. Money isn't the question here, it's only whether it's going to yield results. Thanks in advance!

On 3/3/2019 at 7:41 PM, themeuge said:

The RB-5IIs have a front facing port that can breathe. 

Image result for klipsch rb-5 II

PHOTO from Google Images

That would be a rear facing port.   I too would think that the older RB-5II would out perform the newer RP600M but not by a huge margin.

Are you certain that your speakers are RB-5IIs?

Bill

1 hour ago, JefDC said:

Why are the RB5's assumed to outperform the RP-600's ? 

It doesn't seem logical that speakers that are about 15 years older would be better, in that case Klipsch could just bring the older model on the market again.

Well, my "assumption" is because of the heavier cabinets and  8" woofers.  If Klipsch was to produce an RP800M then my "assumption" could be different.

Bill

1 hour ago, JefDC said:

It doesn't seem logical that speakers that are about 15 years older would be better, in that case Klipsch could just bring the older model on the market again.

Newer is not always better take it from most of us with older Klipsch. I got 1972 k-horns ..1980 LaScalas.....I bought my son a pair of RB-35s and I would put them up against almost any new Klipsch bookshelf they have now. They should have kept the RB 35 and RB 81s I think. If you dont think RB35s are good just try and find a pair for sale.

7 hours ago, JefDC said:

Well, probably because Roy Delgado who is the chief engineer at Klipsch said that the RB-5 was the best voiced bookshelf speaker they ever made.

On 3/3/2019 at 6:41 PM, themeuge said:

They need a few inches behind to allow ths port to breathe, about 3 or 4 inches minimum.

very unlikely it colors your sound --

the colorization would come from the cabinet itslef, not the port.  so if you have bookshelf speakers on those shelves now expect no worse than current imo.  i have the 160ms, version before the 600 

21 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Well, probably because Roy Delgado who is the chief engineer at Klipsch said that the RB-5 was the best voiced bookshelf speaker they ever made.

The question becomes even more pronounced - why not relaunch 'the best voiced bookshelf speaker' in some form again then ?

I must admit I forgot that the RB5 is a 8" speaker versus the 6" RP-160 / RP-600. I actually have bought and used several of the mentioned speakers: a RB5 (resides with my ex-wife now), a RB81 (used by my son) and had a RP-160 until last year. (I can still go and listen to any of them).

In my opinion the RB5 is an exceptionally good speaker with other qualities than the newer RP-160. The latter is more 'polite' sounding and some music types sound (a little bit) better with the former and others with the latter.

But if the OP has speakers with a port on the front side it must be another type than a RB5/RB5II.