FNG checking in.

y2keglide

Hello Klipsch fans! New guy here, just bought my first set of Klipschorns and I'll be learning all I can by reading posts here before I start asking questions.

Just wanted to check in and say howdy, been enjoying my little Marantz 2240 with a pair of KG4's for years but stepping up my game now and found a great deal on the K-horns.

(1972 C models  I was told, Type K.D.F.R on the tag inside) I got them for $1200 and was told one bad tweeter diaphragm, just ordered two new tweeters from Crites so I'm only in them for $1400 so far.

Anyway glad to be here and looking foreword to learning all I can about these beasts.

Regards,Dean

• Like 3

Thanks guys, I'll put up some pics soon and a funny storyline about what they look like now and my plans to change the look.

I'm a retired cabinetmaker turned truck driver so I have some skills but not as much time as I'd like.

Happy Monday, off to work now.

• Like 2

OK, we'll see if I can post some pics.

The original owner bought them in plain fir plywood industrial grade with no side covers etc. and then covered them in shag carpet lmao!

The guy I got them from is the second owner, he had them for 30 years and couldn't dig the shag look so that came off.

He ordered emblems and speaker cloth and side cover kits from Klipsch and then covered the plywood left showing with this ugly grey Formica.

I'm not digging the grey stuff so it's coming off when I get a chance, probably have to wait 'till summer..

I've thought about it quite a bit and as much as I'd like to veneer them I think given what they've already been through and how much trouble it would be to clean them up well enough to do it I'm going to just do another p-lam job with a nice textured wood grain look.

There are some plastic laminates made these days that are hard to tell from real wood without looking close and it will be super durable and almost stain proof besides being a whole lot easier to do.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Those aren't that bad, seen much worse! I think you got a deal, they seem to be in great shape.

Thanks I think so too, first set I've seen for under $3000 close enough to go get and I've been looking at them for years.

It was still nearly 4 hours one way so Sunday was a bit of a road trip.

2 hours ago, y2keglide said:
4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Those aren't that bad, seen much worse! I think you got a deal, they seem to be in great shape.

Thanks I think so too, first set I've seen for under $3000 close enough to go get and I've been looking at them for years.

It was still nearly 4 hours one way so Sunday was a bit of a road trip.

For 1972 Khorns in Average/poor condition the average sale price is $1433.  Considering the poor condition and blown tweeter $1200 is about the going rate.  i couldn't quite see but those crossovers don't quite look right.  For 1972 I would expect Type AA XO's, the first year they were used.

Since you are a woodworker (I'm jealous) If you do a nice restoration on the finish you can increase the value by about $600 or so.

+++

May I ask the location where you got these?  There was a pair in grey recently FS in Denver, original asking price was $1500.  I track prices and I don't want to list the same speaker twice.  Thanks!  -Dave

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

For 1972 Khorns in Average/poor condition the average sale price is $1433.  Considering the poor condition and blown tweeter $1200 is about the going rate.  i couldn't quite see but those crossovers don't quite look right.  For 1972 I would expect Type AA XO's, the first year they were used.

Since you are a woodworker (I'm jealous) If you do a nice restoration on the finish you can increase the value by about $600 or so.

+++

May I ask the location where you got these?  There was a pair in grey recently FS in Denver, original asking price was $1500.  I track prices and I don't want to list the same speaker twice.  Thanks!  -Dave

Seattle area, I think prices out here are typically higher. I’m closer to Portland actually, have never seen a set for less than $3000 asking price around these parts. 

There’s a rough looking set on Portland Craigslist with no extras asking $3000 right now. 

6 minutes ago, y2keglide said:

Seattle area, I think prices out here are typically higher. I’m closer to Portland actually, have never seen a set for less than $3000 asking price around these parts. 

There’s a rough looking set on Portland Craigslist with no extras asking $3000 right now. 

There's a few forum members in your area, and they have commented about the lack of Klipsch Heritage speakers around there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, y2keglide said:

I'm not sure but I think you're right about higher prices in Washington.  There are areas where prices are higher, like Cal and Texas.  Some places lower like Florida and Chicagoland.

That's why I posted the spreadsheet, a person could look up the specifics of their own region.  It doesn't matter what the national average is if a certain set of speakers don't come up for sale in your area.

• Thanks 1