Help setting up 115sw subs

RNJOKER

I was able to purchase another r-115sw subwoofer and I have one placed at the front of the room and one at the back of the room.  I’ve heard and read how the subwoofers should be shaking the entire house.  It’s weird because it seems that the pair of 120sw subs were louder than the 115sw subs.  I’ve watched different scenes and I can “feel” the bass and it sounds sharper but not as loud...is it me or is that how the 115sw subs are supposed to be?  I have them both set up with the frequency all the way to the lfe...the gain is at the notch just after the halfway point.  I have one connected using a subwoofer cable and the other one with the wireless kit.  I ran the calibration on my pioneer vsx-lx-503 receiver and it set the sub volume at -4.5 which I increased to -2.  When I had the pair of 120sw subs the mcacc set it at -16dB.  Is there something I’m doing wrong with my set up or does it seem that I did everything correctly?

thsnk you 

Not sure what is going on but maybe the 120sw subs were producing more audible distortion which you interpreted as loudness.  The R-115SWs are probably smoother because they are not working as hard to fill the room.

Bill

• Like 1

Hello ... I recently got one ... my first one and because I didn't set it up correctly, my basement doors where shaking, everything was shaking ... JUST AMAZING! Never experienced such a powerful sound. Now it's all adjusted and the sound is amazing, best sub-woofer I've ever heard. Can't wait to get the second one :-)

On 3/4/2019 at 9:36 AM, RNJOKER said:

Can you elaborate on “time align”?

Subs are a certain distance from where you sit.  Your avr autocalibration typically sets up the distance of your speakers and sub.

When you have more than 1 sub, they often have to be fine tuned to integrate them for best results as even an avr with 2 sub inputs often cant autocalibrate 2 subs properly.  Usually the most critical factor is where you place them...nothing influences response more tr han puttimg the subs in good spots.

2nd is distance, if they are different distances this should be incorporated in setup...with external amps with dsp there are actually distance settings.  For most commercial subs they have a phase option which is similar and likely what you need to adjust to make them work together constructively.

38 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

For most commercial subs they have a phase option which is similar and likely what you need to adjust to make them work together constructively.

^

If you haven't already, set the phase on the sub up front to 0 and the one behind you to 180.

8 hours ago, RNJOKER said:

Thank you for the feedback...I’ll switch the phase on the back sub to 180 and leave the sub at the front of the room at 0.  I’ve read on many different forums and posts that you should leave the phase at 0...why is that? 

The phase should be set at 0 if the sub is on the same plane (wall) as the mains.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RNJOKER said:

So anytime a sub is placed on the opposite wall of the mains the phase should be set to 180? Whereas if the sub is on the same wall as the mains it should have the phase set to 0?

For the most part yes but will not hurt to experiment.  The purpose is for the sound waves to arrive at the same time.

Bill

5 hours ago, willland said:

For the most part yes but will not hurt to experiment.  The purpose is for the sound waves to arrive at the same time.

Bill

If you have an spl meter and test tones you can check.  Put the front at 0 and the rear at 0.  Play a test tone and record the spl at the listening position.  Do the same thing again but this time with the rear at 180.  If the reading is higher with the rear sub at 180 than 0 leave it there.  If it's higher with both at 0 then leave it that way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RNJOKER said:

What are some good text tones to use?  Where can I find different test tones for the subwoofers?

Sine waves work well.  Just don't crank the subs up and hold it as they'll heat up the voice coils.  You can find them on line pretty much anywhere.