Quest on a pair of 15" 'La Scala' clones with double woofers.

28 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

Most say that my actual 'Exampli' amp is powerful enough to drive those 'La Scala' clone speakers. Yet I doubt that the nominal 10 dB increment the 'La Scala' will bring should suffice for volume in the music room/basement that is twice as big as the room it is in now and fully dampened... I might be wrong though.

As I said, I used 3.5 watt amps on La Scalas in an aproxx. 42 square meter room, with 3 meter ceiling. It can be painfully loud with low distortion.

The lower distortion through La Scalas is due to all three of the components being horn loaded. Horn loading increases the efficiency, and as efficiency goes up, distortion goes down. Partly why your speakers are distorting when you apply more power.

Your speakers were meant to use a lower powered tube amplifier, which is why they have a 15 ohm (nominal) impedance. This provided a better load for the tube amp output.

Bruce

• Like 1

Can you post a picture of your La Scala clones? Yo keep saying double woofers, so it would be good to know what is different with these compared to a regular La Scala where each cabinet has a 15 inch woofer (horn loaded), a midrange compression driver/horn, and tweeter horn/compression driver.

You can see the basic cabinet design with the exploded view drawing I made a few years ago. (I missed a piece, but it isn't crucial to understanding how the cabinets go together).

Bruce

La-Scala-Folded-Horn-Design_2.jpg

• Like 1

+1 on listening to them before you start modding.

My LS will induce a false heartbeat. Yeah... they thump

Running them on an H/K630... 65W/ch. Half volume is loud and over that starts becoming painfully loud.  And Yes... they sound good great as loud as you care to push them.

44 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Do you have a phono preamp?

Yes, I've been trying to present my phono set-up in my 'signature' but for some reason, maybe because I'm still only a 'newbie' on here, will have to await some time before I can. Same for my 'avatar'. Anyway, yes I have an external PCB adjustable preamp. French discontinued brad Isem 'Modulis'. Which is good enough. Might consider to upgrade one day. Lurking at Lehmann 'Black Cube' SII... Hopefully also adjustable for my Denon DL-102 who is also a relatively "exotic" beast. HO MC MONO cartridge set by ear to sound best at 100 Ohms, 100 pF and 60 dB !!!

46 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Can you post a picture of your La Scala clones? Yo keep saying double woofers, so it would be good to know what is different with these compared to a regular La Scala where each cabinet has a 15 inch woofer (horn loaded), a midrange compression driver/horn, and tweeter horn/compression driver.

Bruce

Yes here it is. The ex owner/builder had the "braces" panel cut for the woofers 'V' enclosure. But he didn't assembled them. So I might try without them "braces" panels first and with after and then make up my mind. Here's a picture of them reaching 1 meter 50... (2 x 15" woofers) He did them according to plans. So on the wood cabinet build they are 'clones' of original 'La Scala'.

1080332579_Capturedcran2019-01-2312_54_48.png.3f36939c20cd79ae4862b464cfc4d59a.png 

Edited by tlscapital

The dog house doesn't look to be the correct shape.  The angle appears to be too acute.  I'd be interested to see what he did to the speakers to allow the top end keep up with the new bottom.  I wouldn't call them clones, more like inspired by.

If each has two 15s, they aren't built from Klipsch plans. The tops should keep up with the bottoms, as the tops are hotter than the bottoms anyway. You will get more volume, but not more bass, as that is more a function of the horn length. As teh late DJK posted, below about 100Hz or so, La Scalas act more like direct radiators (still horns, but...).

Carl, The cab may also be deeper, giving a longer horn, which would help the bass.

Would  like to see the plans.

It's a nice takeoff on the LS... The doghouse is made like the Peavey FH-1, so you don't end up with the parallel wall for part of the horn length. That is a plus.The outside footprint is about the same as the LS at 24 inches. The double woofers will give you more output, but not necessarily lower freq. output.

This would be like staking a couple of industrial bass cabs.

Bruce

21 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The dog house doesn't look to be the correct shape.  The angle appears to be too acute.  I'd be interested to see what he did to the speakers to allow the top end keep up with the new bottom.  I wouldn't call them clones, more like inspired by.

Yes OK, you're right; more like inspired by.

20 hours ago, Marvel said:

It's a nice takeoff on the LS... The doghouse is made like the Peavey FH-1, so you don't end up with the parallel wall for part of the horn length. That is a plus.The outside footprint is about the same as the LS at 24 inches. The double woofers will give you more output, but not necessarily lower freq. output.

This would be like staking a couple of industrial bass cabs.

Bruce

OK, thanks for clarifying that and more specifically pointing those "ressemblant features".