Klipsch R-51PM Hiss

wallop

Hello,

I’ve recently got into this whole audio world and bought some Klipsch speakers. More exactly I am talking about a pair of R-51PM and the R-100SW subwoofer.

All good with the subwoofer but I am having some issues with the speakers. There is a hiss when they are turned on (not sure if this is normal). This hiss is also present in the right speaker when the speakers are turned off (it is very faint though, I have to place my ear right on the horn) and there's nothing plugged in them (except for the power cable of course).

Besides the hiss, when I turn them on - there is a strange pitched sound coming from the left speaker (some sort of high constant frequency).

For the sake of eliminating the variables I tried the following:

1. Turning off all devices from around the speakers

2. I have moved the speakers in different rooms and sometimes the pitched sound goes away but if for example I move the speaker a bit or just lift it off the ground, it comes back again

Could it be related to grounding issues? I am really lost and I've bought these speakers just two weeks ago and the experience wasn't a good one. (but I really love how they sound).

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue. Tried grounding them but nothing helped. Also tried unplugging everything running on electricity in the same room. Issue persists. I also have a strong interference from the left speaker. Sounds almost like an old GSM phone signal. Tried with ferrite rings with no improvement. Bought some faraday fabric and put next to the active speaker. 99% improvement. Looks ugly though and can’t accept that solution really. Have you solved your issues?

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 11:06 AM, Charki said:

I have the same issue. Tried grounding them but nothing helped. Also tried unplugging everything running on electricity in the same room. Issue persists. I also have a strong interference from the left speaker. Sounds almost like an old GSM phone signal. Tried with ferrite rings with no improvement. Bought some faraday fabric and put next to the active speaker. 99% improvement. Looks ugly though and can’t accept that solution really. Have you solved your issues?

I'm also having hissing issues, particularly with my left speaker, which is nearby some devices of mine that have Wi-Fi, so I'm wondering if it's a wireless interference issue. How did you apply the faraday fabric to your speaker, so I can try it out and see if it fixes my problem? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to bring up this post again. I thought I had arranged myself with the noise but it is fairly annoying. The normal hiss is acceptable to me when sitting >2m away from the speakers, but the additional noise coming from the left speaker is pretty bad. The noise is reminding me of faint wind shrieking. It recently started to bother me again after I moved the speakers a few centimeters and so I'm wondering whether there is anything influencing the loudness.

Edited by Johnyy

• 5 months later...

Sorry for reviving this post again but I still have the issue, even after a warranty replacement. It seems just to be a bad build quality overall. I added a bit of an aluminium wrapper on the right speaker towards the lower part (where probably the AMP is located) and it reduced the high pitched sound quite a bit. The strong hissing is there nonetheless, nothing I can do there apparently.

• 5 months later...

I have the R-820F's and in 1 speaker I'm getting a "hiss" that goes along with the vocals (it's kinda hard to explain).  I have very good hearing and it came up all of a sudden and I narrowed it down to the speaker.  After I send this message I'm going to check the crossover in the speaker.  I'm willing to bet that is what it is.  Maybe a bad capacitor or something.

• 2 years later...
On 6/4/2019 at 9:29 AM, Diem said:

I'm also having hissing issues, particularly with my left speaker, which is nearby some devices of mine that have Wi-Fi, so I'm wondering if it's a wireless interference issue. How did you apply the faraday fabric to your speaker, so I can try it out and see if it fixes my problem? Thanks.

I never got it solved. The faraday was taped to the wall next to the speaker. Quadruple wrapped. Swapped and repaired 2 or 3 pairs before giving up. Bought the RP600II instead. With a Yamaha receiver. More expensive. Bigger than planned. But it was driving me crazy. Never regret it though 🤘🏽