Need help with adding sub into two channel system using preamp

jackrcox

Hello all,

I recently picked up a Monolith 12 to pair with my Klipsch LaScalas, but the method that I am using to send signal to the sub is not providing enough and I was wondering if there anything I can do to better amp the signal. 

I had thought that I could just use one of the two RCA outs on my Schiit Freya and connect this directly to the sub which has a line level input. The problem is that the signal  is far too weak and the sub is barely audible at all listening levels. 

My current dirty solution is to send a signal to a second preamp and crank that, but the signal is still relatively weak and I am sure this is not the most ideal way of doing this. Is there any sort of separate step up amp I can use that is designed for this or anything? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jack

5 minutes ago, jackrcox said:

@babadonoThe monolith accepts line level stereo inputs so I have an stereo rca interconnect running from the preamp to the sub. 

Add a Y as mentioned above.  That will double the voltage that the plate amp sees.

Single cable - Y- plate amp.

8 minutes ago, jackrcox said:

@CECAA850 I had a y input going into it originally but since it is able to process a stereo left and right signal I decided to go that route since my interconnect was of better quality. 

Was the volume any better with the Y?  It should have been.

• Like 1

OK I wanted you to get set up to run tones through the Freya and into the Monolith sub. It looks like the Monolith is made for HT and I am not understanding why it does not have enough gain reach to work with the Freya. That said, true to form the Monoprice website does not give very much info(read none) about what level is needed to drive the sub. My fear is it is defective. Has it ever worked to your satisfaction with any other input?

@babadono @CECAA850Correct. The adcom does not have controls for gain.

The second freya rca out is now connected to an adcom preamp solely to gain signal to the monolith. Only then with the adcom and monolith gains set at about 4/5ths I am able to get usable amounts of low end. That said it is not much, and I would like a bit more headroom. 

According to the specs for the Art Cleanbox, sending an unbalanced signal through and converting it to balanced provides a maximum of +21db of gain. Assuming I do this and combine both balanced cables into one using an xlr y connector and connect it to the sub, do you think this will provide enough gain?

Edited by jackrcox
Clarity of problem

When you run directly to the sub from the Freya, without being connected to the Adcom, are you able to get a usable signal?  It could be the efficiency of the speakers. 

This is may sound dumb, but is your crossover turned up on the sub’s plate amp? 

I’d also make sure that none of the settings on the sub are set to THX.

How much do you have the sub gain turned up on the plate amp? 

• Like 1