Need help with adding sub into two channel system using preamp

jackrcox

What is the source component?   

Have you proven that the subwoofer works OK?  If so, what was the configuration (i.e., how were components connected) when the sub worked OK?

Have you tried disconnecting the preamp from the DAC, and connecting the sub directly to the DAC?  If this works, then perhaps use a Y-cable from the DAC feeding the sub and pre-amp???

We're all rooting for you ...     

• Thanks 1

@lakedmb with a direct freya connection the output of the sub was what I would consider low and only faintly audible with a setting of +6 db or higher on the plate amp and only when the volume on the freya was fairly high(borderline to high for longer lascala listening) and playing tracks that are nothing but fairly heavy bass. Crossover is set to 80 hz. 

Thank you for the help. 

@robert_kcthe source component is a laptop or phone set to 100% ie -0 db.

Great idea on the direct to dac idea. 

Haha, so I plugged the sub directly to the dac and played a 35hz test tone and just about shook my old brick house to the ground. Sweet jesus. The sub works... good. Gain on the sub was set to -3db for the test.

It seems to be the sensitivity coming into play. Splitting the signal from the dac would work although I am afraid of compromising the quality by splitting it. Is that reasonable?

Aside I am in trouble from the wife now for rousing her from sleep due to this last test so I need to call it a night. It seems like a good stopping point anyway. 

Thank you for the help so far everyone. This forum is great. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jackrcox said:

@robert_kcthe source component is a laptop or phone set to 100% ie -0 db.

Great idea on the direct to dac idea. 

Haha, so I plugged the sub directly to the dac and played a 35hz test tone and just about shook my old brick house to the ground. Sweet jesus. The sub works... good. Gain on the sub was set to -3db for the test.

It seems to be the sensitivity coming into play. Splitting the signal from the dac would work although I am afraid of compromising the quality by splitting it. Is that reasonable?

Aside I am in trouble from the wife now for rousing her from sleep due to this last test so I need to call it a night. It seems like a good stopping point anyway. 

Thank you for the help so far everyone. This forum is great. 

LOL.  I should have suggested that you first turn down the volume on the sub.   Try a Y cable from the DAC to feed the pre-amp and sub .... but turn down the volume on the sub first ...   😊

If it sounds good ... enjoy the music ...

P.S.  This configuration will work best if the subwoofer has a remote volume control.  You might also try the Y cable between the pre-amp and amp, so that the sub's volume level tracks with the volume level of the main speakers.   (FWIW, I use Oppo players, which have "bass management", with configurable crossover parameters for the sub, and an RCA line-level sub connection, and a remote volume control.  I also have volume control on most of my subs.)

• Like 1