Heresy 2 plus build

Dave S

This weekend I put my Heresy 2 plus project speakers as I am calling them  together just enough to give a listen.  A bit of background on this build.  I used stock K76 Tweeters with Crites Titanium diaphragms, stock K 53 mids and Eminence Delta Pro 12-450 A woofers in a cabinet designed and tuned for the woofer. So roughly 1.25 cu ft larger than stock Heresy cabs.  Rear 4 inch ports and Crites crossovers.  I couldn't wait for the damping foam to arrive so the sound check was a bit bass boomy.  I could have thrown a pillow in each one I guess.   After running them for a couple of hours to help the woofers settle in I gave a listed with some variety of music.  Granted, foam will help the bass a lot I should think but it doesn't sound too bad.  I think the squawker is a bit on the weak side and maybe I will have to attenuate the woofer a bit to give it more of a chance.  Unless you have suggestions on improving the K 53.  I have to confess I know just enough to be dangerous in building speakers so please forgive me here.   Any suggestions are appreciated.   One thing for sure I will not be needing my sub woofer in this set up.  Bass is very strong with the larger cab.  I still have to build slanted risers and install my walnut veneer but I just had to listed for a bit first.  My Canadian friends may appreciate my temporary hockey puck risers.  🙂

Heresy 2 plus.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MC39693 said:

It is hockey season after all!  Nice work, stay dangerous and have fun with those.

Keep your stick on the ice and a smooth seam is the sign of a true craftsman are two of my favorite sayings from my hero, Red Green.  🙂   Back to a speaker related question.  I spoke to Bob Crites about the upgrade to the K 53 diaphragm.  He didn't think the titanium version would be much of an improvement but he does have a phenolic version that he says does have some advantages.  I trust Bob's advice and I am wondering if any of you here have used one of his upgraded diaphragms  for the K 53 squawker and what impression you have?  

Red Green, now there is a modern day hero!  I don't have any titanium drivers in my Heresy (2 sets), so can't help there, but have taken Mr. Crites' advice on other matters and I'd say he's batting 100%.  Others with more experience hopefully will comment.

The older Tangent T-400 and T-500's were larger ported cabinets that used the Heresy drivers, too.  Those Tangents sounded really good but their downfall was the cabinets weren't near as solid.  They used front firing ports, which I prefer personally, as it doesn't require me to have to watch the distance between the ports and a back wall.  I could never get KLF-30's to sound good in our old house but the front firing ported CF-3's sounded amazing being a couple inches from the walls.  Rooms are always the downfall or the advantage with some speakers.

Good job on your build!  Now get that veneer on  ;)

Ha avguytx,

How right you are about rooms being a downfall or advantage.  I have not yet even tried to place my Heresy 2 plus speakers yet.  I need to finish them first  and have them fully run in.  I will get that veneer on when it warms up a bit.  I need to order glue and don't want to pay extra for guaranteed non freezing shipping which I don't trust anyway.  A little too cold here right now.  Good info on the Tangent speakers.  I am still sorting mine out and have to figure out what if anything I want to do with the K 53's in them.  Do I put new Crites phenolic  diaphragms in them? In the mean time I will build my slanted risers and put the hockey pucks back on the ice.  😉

4 hours ago, avguytx said:

The older Tangent T-400 and T-500's were larger ported cabinets that used the Heresy drivers, too. 

At some point I will build some solid Tangent 400 cabinets out of russian birch and move my Heresy II parts. Maybe get two sets of cabs made so my friend with a pair of Tangents cat get his into solid cabinets.

Bruce

• Like 1

Seems like just basic particle board and not MDF.  Possibly not quite 3/4" thickness but I can't remember for sure.  They were sold a lot at the PX's and the lesser dense cabinets made it a little cheaper for shipping.  But I could be wrong.

I believe that is correct.

They 400 uses the exact same parts as the HII. The ones my friend has sound great, and aren't coming unglued, but stiffer, solidly built cabs would be a huge improvement.

Thanks CoolCanuck.  I like tubes.  I like turntables and playing LPs.  Don't call them vinyls.  LOL   But I am not an audiophile.  I am a hacker that loves listening to good music.  I love trying to make a particular piece of equipment sound better.  My turntable is modded to the point that is sounds pretty decent.  Next is getting the speakers to the point I like them.  That is part of the fun for me at 67 years old, my hearing is not what it used to be.  Too much loud music and not using hearing protection around wood working equipment.  Had I to do it over I would  have.  But I still love listening to rock and roll and pop music from the 60's 70's 80's.   I built my first speakers when I was in high school.  I took them to college and thought they sounded pretty OK but then had a chance to AB them against some others in a local   HI FI shop.  They really sucked.  LOL  Just goes to show that you can used to listening to bad equipment and not know the difference.  Until that is you can directly compare them to something else.   Which gets me to my point of how your brain can become accustomed to a particular sound and you think those speakers or other piece of equipment is starting to break in and sound better.  Sometimes it is your own brain that is changing what you  are hearing.  On the other hand run in or break in of stereo equipment is a real thing.  Speakers definitely do require a break in period just as phono cartridges and vacuum tubes.   You can tell when you keep comparing against another speaker or cartridge or whatever that you use as a given standard.  Just as my new Klipsch Heresy 2 plus's are starting to loosen up.  Woofers in particular need time for the cone suspensions to loosen up and perform.  I also think new crossover components need burn in time.  Some will say I'm crazy and they might be right but I think all electronics need time to settle for best performance.  Man this has gotten long. Sorry.  I just want to thank those in this group who have answered questions for me and been very helpful.  I have a lot to learn and this group obviously has some very smart folks that I can learn from.  Keep on keepin  on.  

• Like 2

I don't have anything with tubes left... lol. Lots of LP's / 45 and around 2 dozen 78's. My turntable can do 78's, but don't want to break the needle, as they're not in the best shape. I have a a Symphonium as well, but alas, it no longer turns as it has corroded itself to death.

I think CCM pucks are reputed to have better harmonic resonance.   So good choice!  Actually a source who wishes to remain anonymous told me the Slovenian factory makes all of the pucks including CCM and Bauer branded ones.  Who knows.   

As much as I hate to see the hockey puck risers go, I did cut and glue up some slanted risers for the project shown here.  I do have a question concerning damping material used by Klipsch in the  Heresy 3 and others.  It appears that the motor board and the rear baffle have a black textured  coating that almost resembles auto undercoating or bed liner.  Is this done to dampen vibration or is it merely cosmetic?  I am thinking I  will apply a material like Dyna mat  on the inside of the rear baffle and the inside of the motor board.  Along with some extra internal bracing the Dynamat might provide some damping and vibration control?  I will also cut pieces of the matt for the squawker horn as well.   I also plan to put the convoluted foam on internal wall surfaces.  

slanted risers.jpg