5.1 Music Titles that are worth buying DVDA, Blu Ray, etc.

Max2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, Schu said:

this is about what I have...

How is the Genesis box set mixed?   Its seems its hit or miss on some of these multi channel offerings anymore.   How does "A Night at the Opera" rank with you are far as the mixing goes?

For the classical music I love, high-quality hi-res audio/video recordings are commonly available.   Many operas, ballet, and a growing number of classical concerts are available on Blu-ray, featuring DTS-HD MA 5.1.  Blu-ray audio/video (featuring hi-res surround-sound and hi-def video) is my favorite way to enjoy classical music.   A few classical recordings are available on Ultra HD Blu-ray. 

Provenance of the recording is critical – i.e., modern recordings that were captured and mastered as hi-res.  

If you haven’t experienced classical music via Blu-ray, IMO the following is a very enjoyable high-quality set of all Beethoven symphonies (plus 3 other works) for a very reasonable price.   (I bought the deluxe box set for approximately $50.   Apparently the Blu-rays discs are now also available with “non-deluxe packaging”.) 

Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos Danish NSO

• Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1–9
  • Joaquín Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez
  • Hector Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14
  • Richard Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie (An Alpine Symphony), Op. 64, TrV 233

41+EYqMSRUL.jpg

I can make other Blu-ray audio/video classical and opera recommendations if anyone is interested.

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2019 at 12:50 PM, Zen Traveler said:

I am still tremendously interested in this material and listen to it most nights.

I guess it's how you listen to music. Imo, the artists/composers I listen to have more going on in their heads than a band performing in front of you like a concert. Not really notes on a page as much as creative expression all around you. There are several threads I've commented on/started dealing with this subject. Fwiw, my favorites are Talking Heads, REM, Steely Dan/Donald Fagan. Depeche Mode, and quite a few other artists albums they made into multichannel that were cult hits (Alice cooper, David Bowie, Bryan Ferry) and the Elton John and The Doors are excellent libraries as well. 

One of the things I noticed coming back is how dead the Home Theater section seems to be compared to the 2 Channel Forum here....Is there anyone else that still listens to multichannel music on a regular basis?

28 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Ive been thinking about getting into multi-channel. Finally found the correct rear channel speakers....

Cool. I convert 5.1 into 9.2 using heights and rears...The real payoff is having RB-75s as Side surrounds and rears using the Dolby upconverting algorithm, PLIIz which converts it to "9.2". 

8 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Cool. I convert 5.1 into 9.2 using heights and rears...The real payoff is having RB-75s as Side surrounds and rears using the Dolby upconverting algorithm, PLIIz which converts it to "9.2". 

I just have a 5.1 system, it's in our living room. I don't know if I can talk the wife into adding more speakers. She thinks I have too many now 😟

I would like to go to 7 channel though....maybe she won't notice 2 more speakers!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I just have a 5.1 system, it's in our living room.

Actually going from 2 speakers to a 5.1 system was the biggest jump that made a difference for me....7.1 was definitely noticeable but only marginally, imo. Adding the heights seem to add something but I really can't swear on it. ;) 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 10:59 AM, Zen Traveler said:

Btw, the only title I really have jonesed for but don't have is Band on the Run.

that opening chord progression for the song Band on the Run is one of my favorites. 

Roger Waters In the Flesh was good. 

@Max2  when you listened to A Night at the Opera, how did the song Good Company sound to you?  Very interesting trivia about that song, Brian May said that his guitar parts were recorded one note at a time. He wanted the dixieland jazz sound and wanted his guitar to sound like a dixieland jazz band. So, towards the end, that's a guitar not a trombone. That LP was engineered by Roy Thomas Baker who did a fantastic job. You may (or may not) find this interesting about the track Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

that opening chord progression for the song Band on the Run is one of my favorites. 

Roger Waters In the Flesh was good. 

@Max2  when you listened to A Night at the Opera, how did the song Good Company sound to you?  Very interesting trivia about that song, Brian May said that his guitar parts were recorded one note at a time. He wanted the dixieland jazz sound and wanted his guitar to sound like a dixieland jazz band. So, towards the end, that's a guitar not a trombone. That LP was engineered by Roy Thomas Baker who did a fantastic job. You may (or may not) find this interesting about the track Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon. 

Honestly, I haven't given it that much in depth attention. The whole disk sounds great, but Im always wowed by the dynamics  of the old songs I listened to as a kid and that the multi channel formats can really play into, given the engineer takes it that direction.   Likely, one Queen track  I always have to get through, not on this album, but THE GAME in 5.1 is "Dont try Suicide."  Its really clean and has that dynamic swing level to it. Of course, "Dragon Attack" is just brutally good with surprises in the drum section, DTS and straight PCM are both great

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 10:08 PM, BigStewMan said:

From what I understand is that there are two versions of this album on 5.1 DVDA and one doesn't have the beginning of that opening for some reason. Dunno but I'm still interested in either but haven't made an effort lately. Alot go good stuff on the playlist. Last night I listened to Talking Heads NAKED on DVDA and that whole collection is Reference material in multichannel. :)