Upgrade to RF-5 vs RP-8000f?

TMatt

So I currently have the R-28fs, R-25c, and an R-12sw in my living room which is about 20x13 feet and semi open to the kitchen. I'm not super happy with the musical depth and bass from the R-28fs and am considering upgrading. There is a pair of RF-5s for sale for 500 bucks near me, is this a good deal? There is also a pair of RP-8000fs for 750 within pickup distance. Which do you guys think would be the better deal/best speaker for me? I will be watching TV/movies 50%, music 30%, and video games 20%.

Edited by TMatt

$500 is a fair price for good condition 5's. I certainly would prefer them to the 28's, but that don't tell you much.  I had 5's for years and always thought they were well balanced for a modern look speaker( my term). There are only a few Reference speakers I would prefer, all are larger. If it were $3-350 I'd say run get em' cause you can't lose.

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2019 at 1:53 PM, TMatt said:

I'm not super happy with the musical depth and bass from the R-28fs and am considering upgrading.

Try adding another subwoofer.  (I know Costco had the matching R-12SW's on sale for around $200).  Or, since the R-12SW's aren't really anything to brag about performance wise, sell your sub and buy a better quality one... you can usually find decent used ones in the $500-700 price range.

Most of the time, depending on how you have your system set-up, anything below 80hz is sent to the subwoofers. So, getting larger main speakers will not give you as much noticeable difference as adding a good subwoofer... or two!

I had my pair of RF-83's as my front speakers in my home theater... and they were overkill.  I switched them out with a pair of RF-3's (Same woofers as the RF-5's you're considering) and didn't notice anything lacking.  Then, I moved the RF-83's to my 2.2 system for just music were they are much better suited to shine!

I hope this gives you some options to consider.

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2019 at 12:28 PM, Fish said:

$500 is a fair price for good condition 5's. I certainly would prefer them to the 28's, but that don't tell you much.  I had 5's for years and always thought they were well balanced for a modern look speaker( my term). There are only a few Reference speakers I would prefer, all are larger. If it were $3-350 I'd say run get em' cause you can't lose.

Shit it’s old but how would you compare Rf5(340), Rf35with rw10(300), RP3($200)

On 4/20/2022 at 9:22 PM, Lezliemackerel said:

Shit it’s old but how would you compare Rf5(340), Rf35with rw10(300), RP3($200)

Well, maybe late but..rp3 for $200, if in good shape is a good deal but, they have a Klipsch amp so it's gonna die soon....The 35's with a sub is also good for $300. The 35's are not the better of reference 8 inch to my ears, still, for the price, ok. The 5's for $340 ? that's easy, buy em'. You can listen for as long as you want and still make a few bucks as $400 would be a quick sale around here. Sorry late, best.

• Like 1