Sheila & the Squirrel (Border Collie)

Chris A

The squirrel apparently was so hungry that it didn't react to the radar-swiveling ears of a border collie that managed to move in just inches away in front of it.  Sheila, our 4-year-old border collie...who's not the squirrel's friend, is making sure that the squirrel is "fully under control", however. 

Duncan has other plans...but if he can only get out the door. 

Thanks to my wife (Syd) who managed to video the entire episode.

Chris

• Like 4

Love it. What's running through that squirrel brain? Pretend that predator isn't real. Don't acknowledge her and she won't chase me. Oh look, she gave up on me. Maybe not, radar ears again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lived in a house with four Akitas. Fenced back yard. Squirrels, rabbits, opossums, raccoons, you name it -- they all came into the yard, sniffed the air, thought to themselves, "Hmm ... smells like 'predator'. Must be safe."

It wasn't.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Lived in a house with four Akitas. Fenced back yard. Squirrels, rabbits, opossums, raccoons, you name it -- they all came into the yard, sniffed the air, thought to themselves, "Hmm ... smells like 'predator'. Must be safe."

It wasn't.

My brother had a Husky that was quite the hunter as well.  Squirrels or cats didn't stand a chance.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

My brother had a Husky that was quite the hunter as well.  Squirrels or cats didn't stand a chance.

It's a different game with multiple dogs. They hunt like a pack, and actually form strategies and execute tactics. It's an amazing thing to watch.

• Like 1

Just now, Edgar said:

It's a different game with multiple dogs. They hunt like a pack, and actually form strategies and execute tactics. It's an amazing thing to watch.

His dog was extremely patient.  He would crouch and freeze for as long as it took till he knew that he had them in a position where he could out run them.  My Rottie is just the opposite.  He sees something move he's after it.  He's never caught a thing.