Is there a max amount of time speaker cables are good for? Value on audioquest crystal hyperlitz 10' pair?

I locally found a pair of 10' audioquest crystal hyperlitz speaker cables with binding posts for only $50. Owner says they were $800 originally. I dont know exactly how old they are but is there a shelf life on the cable itself? Does it start to lose quality somehow or should it be just fine? And last is the $50 a good price?  If anybody has info on timeframe on these cables it would be awesome or any other info of course. Thanks as always.

Screenshot_20190306-054320_Facebook.jpg

received_324281958146769.jpeg

3 minutes ago, willland said:

Unless the ends are corroded or there is a broken area, then they should be just fine.  I think I have a pair very similar from audioquest.

Bill

So they are biwire. Those will be fine with my soon to be rf7iii's? And thay seems like a good price for them I think?

1 minute ago, wuzzzer said:

What he said!  It's just copper wire, I personally get all my cables and supplies from MONO PRICE, but copper, doesn't have a shelf life relative to the human life span, check the connections from time to time and if any of the copper is exposed, trim off any oxidised areas and reconnect.  Don't get caught up in snake oil BS when it comes to wires, it's a load of garbage and you could be spending your money on more equipment and Klipsch speakers.  😅  IMHO 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pete H said:

What he said!  It's just copper wire, I personally get all my cables and supplies from MONO PRICE, but copper, doesn't have a shelf life relative to the human life span, check the connections from time to time and if any of the copper is exposed, trim off any oxidised areas and reconnect.  Don't get caught up in snake oil BS when it comes to wires, it's a load of garbage and you could be spending your money on more equipment and Klipsch speakers.  😅  IMHO 

Alot of people like Monoprice it seems or Blu Jeans cables. Ok so it sounds like this audioquest pair is q no go for most. Sp I still have some heavy duty Monster cable wire left from quite a while. Is there any reason not just to use that since it is like 4awg or 6awg? Then I dont spend any additional money on wires and can pit towards the rear and atmos speakers. 

So what is it with all the cable crap how are there all these stupid expensive cables and hdmi's and all that and it's all a sham? Seems like lots and lots of people think the more expensive wires make a difference and not just the people that sell them either lol

4 minutes ago, jordan122345 said:

Alot of people like Monoprice it seems or Blu Jeans cables. Ok so it sounds like this audioquest pair is q no go for most. Sp I still have some heavy duty Monster cable wire left from quite a while. Is there any reason not just to use that since it is like 4awg or 6awg? Then I dont spend any additional money on wires and can pit towards the rear and atmos speakers. 

So what is it with all the cable crap how are there all these stupid expensive cables and hdmi's and all that and it's all a sham? Seems like lots and lots of people think the more expensive wires make a difference and not just the people that sell them either lol

You can't sell a cable or wire for $400 if you don't have self proclaimed "audiophiles" that absolutely hear a difference, hype and marketing and it's done with so many products.  I can promise you that if you take the time to do your own testing with simple 16 gauge lamp cord/14-2 solid copper wire/12 gauge stranded inexpensive speaker wire and $800 super deluxe, made from alien technology wire, it won't make a darn bit of difference in what you hear.  In the end, you need to prove it to yourself (you can't be the one switching the wires in a blind test), so don't take my word for it or the company trying to sell you something you don't need, do that and you will know, and then you can buy those speakers.

Not everyone, even on this forum, will agree with me, but I'm confident that the overwhelming majority do.  It's a fun ride regardless, but you do have to wade through some BS to get to the truth.  Are you going to the pilgrimage in Hope?  Great time and so many people that have terrific, real world, experience that can help you spend and save money all at the same time.  LOL

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pete H said:

You can't sell a cable or wire for $400 if you don't have self proclaimed "audiophiles" that absolutely hear a difference, hype and marketing and it's done with so many products.  I can promise you that if you take the time to do your own testing with simple 16 gauge lamp cord/14-2 solid copper wire/12 gauge stranded inexpensive speaker wire and $800 super deluxe, made from alien technology wire, it won't make a darn bit of difference in what you hear.  In the end, you need to prove it to yourself (you can't be the one switching the wires in a blind test), so don't take my word for it or the company trying to sell you something you don't need, do that and you will know, and then you can buy those speakers.

Not everyone, even on this forum, will agree with me, but I'm confident that the overwhelming majority do.  It's a fun ride regardless, but you do have to wade through some BS to get to the truth.  Are you going to the pilgrimage in Hope?  Great time and so many people that have terrific, real world, experience that can help you spend and save money all at the same time.  LOL

I understand what you mean. I would love to but we are taking a vacation to Hawaii on April 2nd so I cant make both happen unfortunately.

So should I just attempt to use the older huge Monster wire that I have then? Or get the 50ft spool from above?

4 hours ago, jordan122345 said:

I understand what you mean. I would love to but we are taking a vacation to Hawaii on April 2nd so I cant make both happen unfortunately.

So should I just attempt to use the older huge Monster wire that I have then? Or get the 50ft spool from above?

Will that Monster wire even fit in the speaker and amp connectors? If it will fit, it should be fine. 12ga is a pretty good all around speaker wire.

25 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Will that Monster wire even fit in the speaker and amp connectors? If it will fit, it should be fine. 12ga is a pretty good all around speaker wire.

I could be wrong on the gauge of the wire but it is considerably bigger than 12awg. Before I was using binding posts I believe and it worked fine 

I zoomed in on the photo and I would steer clear of them. It looks like the shrink tube has pulled off part of the wire which means they may have been under tension which could loosen the solder connections etc. I would just go with 16 or 14 gauge monoprice copper wire. 

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I'd be more inclined to ask him if they had ever been thru a flood..

29 minutes ago, jordan122345 said:

Hmmmmm. So does that mean no way or yes go them?

Well, a tornado or hurricane might also disqualify them, but I'd be especially wary if they were ever owned by a guy named Bubba.

11 minutes ago, twk123 said:

I zoomed in on the photo and I would steer clear of them. It looks like the shrink tube has pulled off part of the wire which means they may have been under tension which could loosen the solder connections etc. I would just go with 16 or 14 gauge monoprice copper wire. 

Yikes. Thanks for the heads up there 

Ten years MAX life.  The electrons in the outer shells get depleted and the ones in the inner electron shells can't move up to replace them because of the Strong Force.  After 10 years the wire becomes a semiconductor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1