Beyond the Specs: Klipschorn AK6

haydukej

The first time I heard a Khorn mirrors Roy's story. It was a jaw dropping experience - I expected the powerful bass but it was the midrange and high frequency clarity that surprised me. It sounded like live music, more realistic reproduction  than any loudspeaker I had heard before. I was a poor college student at the time and couldn't afford a pair, but when I left college and got  a job I began to save my money. When I had enough money to buy a pair and rent a house with two good corners I made my dream a reality. That was 50 years ago -  many amplifiers, receivers, turntables, cartridges, CD players, and houses have come and gone but the same Khorns are still with me, upgraded over the years, but still here. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 2:59 PM, Don Richard said:

The first time I heard a Khorn mirrors Roy's story. It was a jaw dropping experience - I expected the powerful bass but it was the midrange and high frequency clarity that surprised me. It sounded like live music, more realistic reproduction  than any loudspeaker I had heard before. I was a poor college student at the time and couldn't afford a pair, but when I left college and got  a job I began to save my money. When I had enough money to buy a pair and rent a house with two good corners I made my dream a reality. That was 50 years ago -  many amplifiers, receivers, turntables, cartridges, CD players, and houses have come and gone but the same Khorns are still with me, upgraded over the years, but still here. 

Time for a DE-120 tweeter for your pair!!

• Like 1

Kudos to Roy for a well-done video on the Klipschorn AK6.

Has anyone seen the other Klipschorn AK6 video? Here's a transcript of the opening narration: "The key to the Klipschorn's deep bass and high efficiency starts with its eight-foot folded horn low frequency cabinet."

Say what? Has there has been a major design change to the Klipschorn's bass cabinet? My Klipschorns, which I've had new since 1979, have a bass horn mean path length of about 66"----not the "eight-foot" folded horn described in the video. Oh, wait. Never mind. I just measured the outside circumference of one of my bass horns and it is almost exactly 96". Mystery solved!!?? 

Seriously, does anyone know what "eight-foot" the video refers to? 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn#product-specs

Regards,

Lee

I don't have any audio on my pc so I just clicked through different scenes...

Looked like part of it (end?) was done with Roy in their anechoic chamber?  As I saw the triangles of the chamber behind him it dawned on me that might have made the video much easier to make since they didn't have any reflections to contend with.