SPL-150 vs R-115SW

hunkyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello … I heard that the amplifier of the new model has been modified and improved, so many complaints about the R115SW going bad. I don't know what these people do to their subs, maybe they blast it to the extreme for too long? I don't know. I do own a R115SW and it's an amazing sub, no complaints about it, to the contrary. I mainly watch movies with my system and I love the way that the lower frequencies are dispersed equally in my theater room.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Revisiting this thread looking for more suggestions. 

The R-115SW and SPL-150 are currently both available on Amazon.  $700 for the R-115SW and $900 for the SPL-150, including the WA2 wireless adapter.  The prices are close enough not to matter (especially if I get the WA2 to got with the R-115SW as well).  The upgraded amp on the SPL sounds good.  Anything that really separates the two functionally or audibly?  

This will be for in my original version RF-7 home theater setup (RF-7, RC-7, RS-62) 

I'm considering upgrading to RF-7 II or III.  I've heard the III sounds better, but aesthetically I much prefer the II, not to mention it's Cherry finish matches what I currently have, unlike the Natural Cherry on the III.  

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

So two of those for the price of a single SPL-150.  O_O  Not sure about the B-stock risk (going by the description in the ad), but that's really hard to pass up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saturn5 said:

Not sure about the B-stock risk (going by the description in the ad), but that's really hard to pass up. 

Yeah ... concur :D  But if you are like many of us and "hide" your subs it should be OK ??? :( :)    

Add-on ... if you PM him, they might be cheaper as he won't have to pay the eBay commission :) 

3 minutes ago, Emile said:

Yeah ... concur :D  But if you are like many of us and "hide" your subs it should be OK ??? :( :)    

Add-on ... if you PM him, they might be cheaper as he won't have to pay the eBay commission :) 

You are a bad influence.  Thank you. 😀

• Haha 2

• 8 months later...

Get the new SPL-15 if they have "updated" the amplifier they have probably fixed the problem of the older 15SW amplifiers going bad.  My 15SW amplifier went bad after only 3 years.  It was always correctly connected and never over driven.  The amplifier just "went out" with normal use.  Frustrating at only 3 years when it wasn't cheap.  Bought directly from a dealer, shipped to the house and has never moved since install.  I submitted a ticket so I hope it is still covered under warranty as its a known problem :) Replacing just the amplifier doesn't look too hard.

-Eric

As appealing getting two of those things is for the average household one is enough, trust me.  Also, if the new amplifier last the life of the sub its much more worth the extra cost than it burning up after only 3 years. 

• 9 months later...

The issue with the R-115SW amps is a design flaw where a resistor is mounted near the PCB surface and the heat essentially melts the caps around it. 

I made the mistake of setting my amp to ON instead of Auto so my amp was on 100% of the time and the resistor eventually caused my caps to slowly fail. My sub goes into premature thermal shutdown at lower and lower volumes. 

There is a guy on these forums Supreme Innovations who fixes these amps and has a line up of 30 of these Klipsch 115 and 112 amps to fix.  All with the same core issue.  He will replace all the caps, install a higher rated resistor and mount it away from the PCB and caps.  

Ive now also installed smart switches on all my sub amps so they receive no power when my receiver is off.  I have other power amps that went south left in auto mode also due to heat issues.  

i also have an SPL-150 and have not opened it up to look at the amp to see if they changed the design at all...  may have a look one day...

Edited by Lithiumus
Spelling and more info

• 10 months later...

I have two R-115SW subs, bought two years apart at Crutchfield.  The amp on the one bought in 2016 failed November 2021, well after warranty coverage.  I was shopping speakers at a Klipsch dealer (Gramophone in Maryland) and asked if they could get the replacement amp (the one from the SPL-150 is the recommended substitute) and the cost.  Gramophone's Klipsch rep sent me one for free and I popped it in.   It works fine.

• 2 years later...

I just bought the 150 for $600...  already had the 115SW and I honestly thought they were the same.  Close enough, glad to hear this has a better amp, even though my 115 is still working fine (less than 3 years in).  Hope it continues to keep working, but I am looking forward to running two 15s in the living room.  My girl on the other hand...