Single KPT-335-B/M

CANT

KPT-335 HF/MF  ~  HF = K703 w/K70G, MF = K510 w/K69A 

KPT-315 LF  ~  LF = K48

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Model-KPT-335-B-M-3-Way-Behind-The-Screen-Cinema-System-Speaker-Single/254152213763?hash=item3b2ca70503:g:T5cAAOSwAWNcfvam

*This ebay listing was pulled for reasons that can be seen below but I would be on the look out for the crossover, woofer and horns/drivers

17 hours ago, CANT said:

It’s a third... I bought the other 2

The seller has been awesome and would likely accept a reasonable offer

Very curious as to what you think of them I almost pulled the trigger to compare to my 904 and 942's.

39 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Very curious as to what you think of them I almost pulled the trigger to compare to my 904 and 942's.

I am as well... and I plan on testing them in a 310, 325 and 335 configuration. I have a pair of Cornwall’s I’ve been playing around with for a while and so far have preferred the 2way setups over the 3way.

I also specifically wanted the 335 over the 435 because I also tend to prefer a single LF driver over the dual. 

• Like 1

I picked up the 435s from these guys.  Turned out they had a third so I grabbed it too.  Curious what you don’t like about the dual driver base bin.

Mine shipped Friday, not sure when I’ll get them yet. 

I want to try them 3 way passive, 3 way active and 2 way active.  Active’s new to me so it’ll be a learning curve, I’ll be looking for help in the forum....

Hope you enjoy yours.

Edited by Heaterman
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Heaterman said:

I picked up the 435s from these guys.  Turned out they had a third so I grabbed it too.  Curious what you don’t like about the dual driver base bin.

Mine shipped Friday, not sure when I’ll get them yet. 

I want to try them 3 way passive, 3 way active and 2 way active.  Active’s new to me so it’ll be a learning curve, I’ll be looking for help in the forum....

Hope you enjoy yours.

They should have sent you a tracking number, mine should be arriving in KC this Thurs... They offered me the third 335 as well but my house is just not big enough for that jazz and I really didn't want to be saddled with trying to move/part out a single... I already knew going into this that I would only be keeping one of the two sets, 335's or Cornwalls, anyway... 

As for the dual driver thing, that's just a preference... I do most of my listening at fairly moderate levels, in a rather small room and a single LF driver just sound better to me, more coherent maybe. At higher sound levels, in a larger space, I would say it matters less... I guess it might also help to clarify that I intend to use these primarily for music and not TV or HT... I'm really not much of a TV/Movie guy

Active can be fun but at this point I primarily only use it for testing... I've just spent tooooo much time in the past chasing ghost in equipment chains and the nice thing about Klipsch being so efficient is that you don't 1,000,000W to power them.

• 2 weeks later...

So, this listing was pulled because one of my cabs was damaged in shipment and they are sending me the cab from this unit to replace my damaged one...

I'm not sure how they'll list them but I would be on the look out for the crossover, woofer and horns/drivers. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Speaking for myself only.  I have the next closest thing to these, KPT-435’s (dual 15’s but same mid/high).  the Cornwall’s are great (I have a pair) but can’t compete with the 435’s.  It’s not a fair comparison really, the KPT’s are more than twice the size in every way!   dual 15’s, 2” 510 mid horn & 1 3/8” 703 high freq horn.  The 703 tweeter horn is larger than the Cornwall mid....  at low volumes the difference is slightly tilted in the KPTs favor, the louder you play them, the greater the gap between the two.  The KPT is cleaner, larger sound stage, with a lot more headroom.  Some may disagree but the difference is kinda like comparing a Heresy to a Cornwall (not quite that drastic of a difference (lows of CW and KPT cover similar freq) but kinda)....  hard to describe, need to hear them together to truly understand.  They are big, don’t be fooled, and unless you like industrial looks you’ll need to put time and money into making them look otherwise.  Also, if you’re not going active you’ll need to ditch the factory passive crossovers, meant for behind the screen, mids and highs are many dB too hot.  I’ve been playing with ALK CSW universals, APs and ESs with REW sweeps.  All make these speakers sound incredible.  Active is on my list going forward...

If you want to get very close to these in a smaller more attractive enclosure build a Cornscala.  Or better yet, a belle or La Scala bottom with 2” horn top hat.  The latter will beat them in clean bass, just not as low but a good sub will make any setup better (IMO).

hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 6:25 PM, jjptkd said:

@CANT Curious how you like these compared to your Cornwalls? Thanks

I would say that the 335's are everything I had hoped to achieve in all of my attempts to modify my Cornwalls... though I do wish they were more aesthetically appealing and came in a slight smaller footprint.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2019 at 11:30 PM, Heaterman said:

Also, if you’re not going active you’ll need to ditch the factory passive crossovers, meant for behind the screen, mids and highs are many dB too hot.  I’ve been playing with ALK CSW universals, APs and ESs with REW sweeps.  All make these speakers sound incredible.  Active is on my list going forward...

I am going to disagree with this on a few levels... from what I could tell, the tweeter was left a bit hot to compensate for the intended screen but only a few dB. Replacing the 2ohm resistor in that circuit with a 4.5-5ohm (2-3dB reduction) does the trick just fine. Also, the KPT335 (or at least mine) had a sticker on the back stating that, when used with a KPT-904/940 LF cab, the 904/940 cab would be 3dB louder and that output difference would need to be accounted for? In theory this would mean that when used with 904/940 you mid band is actually too low, though lowering the tweeter output may still be all that is needed, preference depending. 

507447078_KPT-335Sticker.jpeg.bdbda944e26c57438198597a858a74bb.jpeg

Also, knowing what I know about the stock network and the ALK CSW you referenced, I would NOT in any way recommend the ALK as an adequate sub. 

335 Spec sheet:

KPT335.thumb.png.240c4b08284ea9f5f548743bb428e8f8.png

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CANT said:

I would say that the 335's are everything I had hoped to achieve in all of my attempts to modify my Cornwalls... though I do wish they were more aesthetically appealing and came in a slight smaller footprint.  

Nice! I've collected a pair of the 335 tweeters (horns and drivers) crossovers, k-69's and a single k-510 horn plus a k-48 woofer, thinking about building a simple Chorus 1 style cabinet and just mounting the tweeter on the top. It seems finding a second k-510 is the biggest hold up so I've been looking at alternatives I have plenty of time to sort it out, thanks.

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Nice! I've collected a pair of the 335 tweeters (horns and drivers) crossovers, k-69's and a single k-510 horn plus a k-48 woofer, thinking about building a simple Chorus 1 style cabinet and just mounting the tweeter on the top. It seems finding a second k-510 is the biggest hold up so I've been looking at alternatives I have plenty of time to sort it out, thanks.

you can find some interesting information here. http://www.nutshellhifi.com/MLS/MLS3.html

my vote is for a two way Chorus build like a Cornscala "D" I am sure Bob can help you with a network.

1 hour ago, moray james said:

you can find some interesting information here. http://www.nutshellhifi.com/MLS/MLS3.html

my vote is for a two way Chorus build like a Cornscala "D" I am sure Bob can help you with a network.

Kinda like a Crites CS-1.5?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/308819-crites-cd-1-5-speaker-build-3.html