Single KPT-335-B/M

CANT

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.e6721536b67c137b854de98f49056bb3.png

To support what I was saying about he midrange being the low point, here are the active setting per Klipsch. This also, pretty adequately, displays the difference I was referring to in the bass bins (904 v 315). I would still keep in mind though that preference and application do still play a roll...

On 6/29/2019 at 7:37 AM, jjptkd said:

Nice! I've collected a pair of the 335 tweeters (horns and drivers) crossovers, k-69's and a single k-510 horn plus a k-48 woofer, thinking about building a simple Chorus 1 style cabinet and just mounting the tweeter on the top. It seems finding a second k-510 is the biggest hold up so I've been looking at alternatives

I had wondered about an Eminence H2EA as an in-a-pinch sub for the K510 for this application... haven't gotten around to buying a pair though

If you wanted to go 2 way you could use the K703/K70G on top of a K48 in a Chorus enclosure with a simple KPT310 crossover, until another 510 materializes? I did something similar for a while? I personally wouldn't suggest a K510/K69 2way unless you were using a K691/DE750 though even then I would say I preferred the 3way.

2 hours ago, CANT said:

I had wondered about an Eminence H2EA as an in-a-pinch sub for the K510 for this application... haven't gotten around to buying a pair though

If you wanted to go 2 way you could use the K703/K70G on top of a K48 in a Chorus enclosure with a simple KPT310 crossover, until another 510 materializes? I did something similar for a while? I personally wouldn't suggest a K510/K69 2way unless you were using a K691/DE750 though even then I would say I preferred the 3way.

That Eminence horn would NOT be a good substitute for the Klipsch K10 horn. Let's look at the specs.

The Eminence is a 60x40 degree dispersion (not 90x60 deg)

The Eminence is an exponential flare (not a modified tractrix flare)

The Eminence is not a CD horn  so the dispersion narrows as you go up in frequency (not a constant directivity (CD) horn where the off-axis response is similar to the on-axis response).

Roy talks about the advantages of a CD dispersion in various places on the forum. Floyd Toole has a more extended discussion in his book and also on some youtube videos. It is a goal worth shooting for. 

That said, there may be some that would prefer the Eminence horn ..... It is cheap enough to try, although getting the crossover right on a non-CD horn presents some additional challenges.