Jubilee owners what amplifier are you using to Bi Amp?

krellpwr

I use two amps for my jubes. I've tried many different high end amps on the bass bins and I like my Crown I-tech the best. The bins really come alive with alot of power and higher dampening factor. Class A for tops. Sounds amazing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, krellpwr said:

Is it better to get (2) separate amplifier to Bi amp or a 4 or 5 channel amp?

It depends on how loud you listen and if that's extremely high SPL (over 95 dBC consistently), then having separate power supplies in the amplifiers might make a difference if you're really pulling watts out of the amplifiers.  ICEpower modules have their own power supplies, and are used a lot in multichannel amplifiers. 

Chris

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Coytee said:

and currently a dedicated Crown K2 for each one

I use those for my subwoofers, they are 800 Watts into 4 ohms, but I found I only need 1/5th of that power for the LFE channel in Blue Rays. For my JUBES, I used $25 TI chip Amps (class D) with $9, 19 volt power supplies at 30 Watts/channel. With those little cigarette pack amps, I was able to blow people's hair back on drum recordings at 110 DB. K2's are way overkill for Jubes, but hey, what's money.

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I use those for my subwoofers, they are 800 Watts into 4 ohms, but I found I only need 1/5th of that power for the LFE channel in Blue Rays. For my JUBES, I used $25 TI chip Amps (class D) with $9, 19 volt power supplies at 30 Watts/channel. With those little cigarette pack amps, I was able to blow people's hair back on drum recordings at 110 DB. K2's are way overkill for Jubes, but hey, what's money.

Claude,

Interesting :D  Used to have 52wpc (Marantz 2252B) on my 904's (OK; not jubes :) ) and it sounded very, very good. Switched to a Crown K1 (350wpc??) and believe the bass is indeed tighter (due to the large damping factor ??). Highs seem better also.

Getting some JBL 18" bass bins tomorrow for use with my K-510's.  Thanks to your comments, I'll hold off buying another Crown ... going to experiment with my 30wpc Marantz 1060 first (OK; prob 45wpc at 4 ohms).

Cheers, Emile

8 hours ago, Emile said:

Thanks to your comments, I'll hold off buying another Crown ... going to experiment with my 30wpc Marantz 1060 first (OK; prob 45wpc at 4 ohms).

This is what I used on my Jubes with TADs on K-402's.......................Nobsound Mini Digital Amplifiers TPA3116, which was cheaper and less power than the one shown on the bottom here. Same 19v. laptop power supply. when you have 106-110 db/Watt efficiency in speaker, You get much higher noise from High Power amplifiers like the Crown K2 vs. these little dudes! Even at worse case power output of ONLY 30 Watts per channel in the amps, you have 4 channels working for you...........so That's 120 UNCLIPPED Watts or 20.7 dbWatts added to the 106 worst case efficiency of the Jube Bass bin (less on the K-402's 110 db/W drivers). So 106 + 20.7 = 126.7 db at 1 meter, which is about 120 db in a small room at the sweet spot. If you need to play things louder than this, you are destroying you hearing and most people will run out of the room when you reach this level. I have only done so a few times on really good recordings of live DRUMS and people were amazed that all I used were these inexpensive little amplifiers!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-19V-3-42A-Power-Adapter-Universal-Power-Supply-Charger-Input-100-240V-50-60Hz-/272072625959?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-Mini-Digital-Amplifier-TPA3116-HiFi-Power-Stereo-Amp-Black-100W-2/263235435782?epid=2270424656&hash=item3d4a0dfd06:g:xg8AAOSwE1tcYbEL

Excuse the black gaffer tape, as it's the quickest way to prevent people from turning the knobs, once their gain is set. The volume control is on the Yamaha Pre Pro.

These little amps were all I needed to blow people away. It's kind of an F. You to expensive amps when you own Jubes!!

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You get much higher noise from High Power amplifiers like the Crown K2 vs. these little dudes!

They certainly might be as quiet as a church mouse....  I know nothing about them.  I do however, know what's going on with the K2's...

I'm here to tell you....  you can sit in any seat in the room and they are virtually dead silent.  Probably as quiet as your church mouse. :emotion-21:

Gotta love the variable gain controls!

Mine (my gains) are (without actually looking or counting clicks) about 25% of their range so they're dead quiet and have enough power to turn it up....  if you want to get stupid loud (as in really stupid) loud, all you need to do is move the gains and you have more stupidity at your demand.

• Haha 1

Well, when I had a pair of speakers similar to Claude, I use to power them with a Classe CA-150 (150wpc @ 8ohm, 300 @ 4ohm) on the bass bins and then 

a Triode Labs 2A3 SET (3-4wpc) on the K402s...

This was in a 15ft x 20ft room.

IMG_0471_SM.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coytee said:

They certainly might be as quiet as a church mouse....  I know nothing about them.  I do however, know what's going on with the K2's...

I'm here to tell you....  you can sit in any seat in the room and they are virtually dead silent.  Probably as quiet as your church mouse. :emotion-21:

Gotta love the variable gain controls!

Mine (my gains) are (without actually looking or counting clicks) about 25% of their range so they're dead quiet and have enough power to turn it up....  if you want to get stupid loud (as in really stupid) loud, all you need to do is move the gains and you have more stupidity at your demand.

ALL power amplifier Specifications for Signal to Noise Ratio are done at FULL OUTPUT. Into 4 ohms, a K2 is a 29 dbWatt amplifier (800 Watts). So when you are using only 1 Watt of power from a K2, you are 29 db closer to the noise floor, which makes the TRUE signal to noise ratio about 71 db vs. 100. In the case of the smaller amp, assuming that it's the same 100 db S/N spec, you are ONLY 14.7 db closer to the noise floor (not 29), so it would be about 85 db signal to noise ratio, or about 15 db BETTER than the Crown K2.

That being said, neither one is audible from a seated position, but putting your head in a K-402 at idle might tell a different story. I know I'm getting picky here, but it's how the math works out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha ... yes; have the (less powerful) K1 ... and have had it up to "stupid" levels :D 

I own Two K2's and One K1 myself, so I know how powerful they are but WAY overkill on any Klipsch speaker, but on a Tapped Horn with a 21" B&C driver that has a monster 6" voice coil, they are mickey mouse amps.

• Like 1

OK @ClaudeJ1 ... you made me spend money again :D  Haha ... only $42 :)  Got the 100Wx2 KnobSound on order WITH the transformer (easier than buying them separate).  Anyone else interested, here is the link  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-Mini-Digital-Power-Amplifier-HiFi-Stereo-Amp-100W-2-with-Power-Supply/282997128167?hash=item41e3f17be7:g:UWwAAOSwFSRbkX3U 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

by the way, if those are yours......very very pretty!

They were, but I had to downsize. Yes, the guy who built them did a fabulous job. I was sad when they were gone, but not too sad, since I got a matching center channel now.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

They were, but I had to downsize. Yes, the guy who built them did a fabulous job. I was sad when they were gone, but not too sad, since I got a matching center channel now.

Hey Claude... not as sad as I was to learn they were no longer living in the Motor City. 😂

But, I have my thinking cap on in hopes of getting back close to the audio bliss that those Tigerwood's provided me. 🤔

Most of the time I use 45\2a3 DC SET. Sometimes I put the 45\2a3 DC SET on the K403/B&C DE82TN and use various amps on the Jub LF either Luxman MQ60 or Knight PP EL37s or Brook 12A clones. I find myself with the SET more and more these days. I might make a bigger version of that SET amp that takes a 250 triode and try biamping again. I'm also passive couldn't do the active long term.