Jubilee owners what amplifier are you using to Bi Amp?

krellpwr

On 3/12/2019 at 7:55 PM, Emile said:

OK @ClaudeJ1 ... you made me spend money again :D  Haha ... only $42 :)  Got the 100Wx2 KnobSound on order WITH the transformer (easier than buying them separate).  Anyone else interested, here is the link  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-Mini-Digital-Power-Amplifier-HiFi-Stereo-Amp-100W-2-with-Power-Supply/282997128167?hash=item41e3f17be7:g:UWwAAOSwFSRbkX3U 

Here's how they were when hooked up to the Jubes, with 5x5" CD case for scale. You can't believe hot TINY these are as POWER Amps, for gosh sakes. My audio buddies that came over for a listen simply could not believe that live drums sounded this real and STUPID LOUD with these tiny amps on the huge Jubes!!

IMG_1517.JPG

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You can't believe hot TINY these are as POWER Amps, for gosh sakes.

Jeez ... even smaller than I thought :D  Looking forward to trying one when it arrives from "Zhina."  

Tried my 30wpc Marantz 1060 on the JBL's I got yesterday (JBL SR4718A; single 18", 4 ohms, 98dB, 30-3300Hz). Could not get any volume out of them.  Thinking I really have to go up in power as these are just about subwoofers??

Claude ... the tiny Nobsounds are 100x2Watts ... assume that's at 8 ohms so the would probably give me at least 150W at 4 ohms/

31 minutes ago, Emile said:

Jeez ... even smaller than I thought :D  Looking forward to trying one when it arrives from "Zhina."  

Tried my 30wpc Marantz 1060 on the JBL's I got yesterday (JBL SR4718A; single 18", 4 ohms, 30-3300Hz). Could not get any volume out of them.  Thinking I really have to go up in power as these are just about subwoofers??

Claude ... the tiny Nobsounds are 100x2Watts ... assume that's at 8 ohms so the would probably give me at least 150W at 4 ohms/

They need a 24 volt supply, not 19. The 100 W spec is 4 ohms and probably peak.........IOW........a BS spec. I think you will be lucky to get to 50. The OP's question is about the JUBEs, not other speakers, which DON"T have 106-110 db/W sensitivity, and not down in the low 90's, which means you need 20X more power. You could be barking up the wrong tree here, as you seem to do often, no offense. But the money is low enough, even if it doesn't work out.

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2019 at 7:15 AM, MenloBob said:

One advantage to two different amps is that you can match the different power requirements i.e. a more powerful amp for extra damping on the bass drivers vs. a super clean low wattage for the mid compression.

It doesn't really work that way with Jubilees.  Many typical 2-way speakers cross over from woofer to tweeter at 1800 Hertz or so, meaning that the bass amp in a bi-amped setup does most of the work, while the treble amp just covers the top few octaves.  Jubilees, on the other hand, have their crossover point set at 480 Hertz, so the tweeters are actually doing more work than the woofers.  This is because of the 10 octaves of the audio range (20 to 20K Hertz), the woofers in Jubilees cover the bottom 4-1/2 octaves (20-480), while the tweeters cover the top 5-1/2 octaves (480-20,000).  This means that more of the sound comes through the tweeters, which improves clarity.

In that specific case, it's best to have two matching 2-channel power amplifiers, or four matching mono power amps.  This simplifies gain and level matching between the woofers and tweeters, plus it gives a consistent sound from bottom to top.  With non-matching amps, the character of the sound can change noticeably as the music moves up or down across the crossover point.

With my 402 JubScala IIs, and their predecessors, the 510 JubScalas, I'm using a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 dual-mono power amps.  With that arrangement, 500 watts is available to each driver:  500 watts to each woofer, and 500 watts to each tweeter.  It's certainly more power than is needed, but the high clarity, low noise, and low distortion is why those are in the system.  The high power is just a bonus.  All that overhead is also helpful in making really believable dynamics and higher-volume transient notes, so the power doesn't go to waste, even if it's not called for all that often.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I've been running this setup since 2008, and it sounds mighty fine.

Typical power requirements on my Jubs at  a relatively loud levels on music. 

( ~100db and ~104db on SPL Meter )

Vertical bi-amp with MHA100 

Left channel = Jub LF

Right channel = K402/TAD4002

Note: You can Tap on pictures for full resolution of images 

2AFE14CA-EBE3-47D7-87F7-F9DA00476F74.thumb.jpeg.3fc6a78947b4ab24b2e2136d66c742f0.jpeg

75812421-5618-4055-9ABA-A23E2CA7A730.thumb.jpeg.ad5a365c0d86c7f4c40ef0028cd6c986.jpeg

• Like 1

I must be a simpleton.

I use a couple of Adcom 5X5 amplifiers. a 535 for the tweeter and a 555 for the woofers. The amps each have some bypassing on the power supply caps, but other than that they are stock. This is a fairly inexpensive solution that has a big bang for the buck.

Guess what, the Jubilees sound great!

• Like 1

I currently use a Parasound A52+.  I can't recommend it just because there are no gain controls, they literally had no space left to squeeze in any gain controls otherwise they would have.  I'm about to switch to an A23+  for the 402 horn and a JC5 for the bass bin.  If you decide to go with a multichannel amp just make sure you aren't getting into this situation, the 402 with no crossover is just too sensitive, the amp needs to be totally silent.