Suggestions for AVR please

hunkyn

Looking for AVR recommendations for my Klipsch setup.  Understand AVR is heart of the setup but also would like to keep the budget to a minimum if possible.  I already bought the speakers below

RP-8060FA

RP-504C

RP-502S

SPL-150

I will be adding two ceiling speakers to make it 5.1.4 in the future so looking for receivers that does 5.1.4 or 5.2.4 so that i can add another sub in the future.  My room is approximately 17 * 13 with 10 feet vaulted ceiling.  Amazon has a good deal on NR787 and has 100 W per channel but i think for RP-8060FA the spec says 150 W is needed so not sure if the NR787 is powerful enough.

Like @willland's suggestions (as always) :D  Have the Onkyo TX-RZ810 (now "830") and for the price it's a nice unit. If you have multiple HDMI inputs, be sure they "transfer" to pre-outs or zone 2/3 in case you want to add another amp/speakers later. (Think 4 of the HDMI's are routed to zone 2/3 on my 810.)

Also ... don't be concerned with the Watts spec on the speakers. Had a 52wpc vintage Marantz on my 800W (?) KPT-904 speakers and it sounded great and blew me out of the room ... OK; have 400W on it now ... "think" it is better but not even sure :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hunkyn said:

Thanks both. Seems like RZ830 meets my budget and features. It has some subtle differences between NR787 and RZ830. NR787 is available for $469 in amazon today and $599 for RZ830.

IMO, do what you can to get the 830.  One main advantage over the 787 is that it has multichannel preouts for adding an outboard amp in the future if you so desire.  Other important features to mention are a more advance room EQ and better power supply.

Bill

• Like 1

IMO, do what you can to get the 830.  One main advantage over the 787 is that it has multichannel preouts for adding an outboard amp in the future if you so desire.  Other important features to mention are a more advance room EQ and better power supply.

Bill

Thanks Bill definitely liking 830 now that I have been spending time. Amazon has a good deal and will buy today or tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, willland said:

do what you can to get the 830.  One main advantage over the 787 is that it has multichannel preouts...(respectful snip!, just wanted to reference the post)

The problem with your posts Bill, is that after you've weighed in, there's not much else to say!  :lol:

I bought the Onk TX NR717 (2014) as an underpowered AVR precisely because of what Bill said.  It has pre-outs for all 7.2 channels and I was able to add a 5 channel Emotiva XPA-5 last year to get a little more life out of it.  I love my Onk, it has great sound.  My understanding is the RZ series is a step above the TX series although I've never heard one.

FYI I also have one of the AVR's Bill recommended, a Marantz 6011 (he said 6012, very similar).  Highly recommended, great sound, decent power and it works well with Klipsch.  The 6011 has enough internal amps to fun 5.2.4.  If you add an external power amp it will process 7.2.4 channels.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oldred said:

If your budget is tight.......you can't beat accessories4less - George

I bought a Denon 5.1 AVR a few years ago from A4L for my son.  It has been 100% reliable and a great value, except the remote controller stopped working after his dog nearly ate the dang thing.

I am not a fan of buying electronics used because you don't get a warranty.  That being said I bought my Marantz 6011 used from a Forum member and because he was a trusted source it turned out to be a fantastic savings and a great AVR.

921994760_CheapThrillonCF-4small.thumb.jpg.8defb546685cf7a984aec0bf24939d08.jpg

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The problem with your posts Bill, is that after you've weighed in, there's not much else to say!  :lol:

You are a funny guy.  I will take that as somewhat of a back handed complement.:unsure2::D

Thanks,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, willland said:

I will take that as somewhat of a back handed complement.

It was intended as the highest complement.  You give such sound advice after I end up reading your suggestions and reasoning I find myself just saying "yep." 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

It was intended as the highest complement.  You give such sound advice after I end up reading your suggestions and reasoning I find myself just saying "yep." 

Okay, what's the angle?  Do I detect a little Eddie Haskell going on?

image.jpeg.266ecb6049e7bfdcc0b7e61bf217aad6.jpeg

Seriously I do appreciate the kind words.  I have learned a ton of info from the well informed folks on this forum and like to pass it on when I am able.

Bill

• Like 2

Just want to add that the 150 Watt rating is the MAX continuous watts the speakers are rated for, not what they require.  The RP-8060FAs will sound great with much less power.

I had the RP-8000F which is the exact same speaker minus the additional atmos speaker connected to the RZ730 (They were probably getting 60W max) and they worked great.

Keep in mind that even if you get the RZ830 which is rated at 120W that is for only 2 channels driven.  With all the channels powered it is going to be much less.

The only way you are going to get anywhere close to 150W is with an external power amplifier.

Edited by jason51672

On 3/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, hunkyn said:

Looking for AVR recommendations for my Klipsch setup.  Understand AVR is heart of the setup but also would like to keep the budget to a minimum if possible.  I already bought the speakers below

RP-8060FA

RP-504C

RP-502S

SPL-150

I will be adding two ceiling speakers to make it 5.1.4 in the future so looking for receivers that does 5.1.4 or 5.2.4 so that i can add another sub in the future.  My room is approximately 17 * 13 with 10 feet vaulted ceiling.  Amazon has a good deal on NR787 and has 100 W per channel but i think for RP-8060FA the spec says 150 W is needed so not sure if the NR787 is powerful enough.

I got away from AVR's and went with Yamana Pre Pro and separate Class D amplifiers.............much better sound.

• 3 months later...

Hi I have Purchased the

Denon x3500h 

Klipsch Rp 8060fa, 504c,spl120, and 400m surround any suggestions on the stands for the surround?

is this a good combination fir my room size 20ft by 17 ft.

will the base be good or any recommendations on adding any more speakers etc. Will the sound be good with what I have?

Please suggest 🙏🏽

Thanks