Have I made the right choice for cables?

Kain

Please tell me if I have made the right choices for cables.

Center speaker: Monster Cable MCX-1s Biwire Speaker Cable - Center Channel.

Main speakers: Monster Cable MCX-1s Biwire Speaker Cable.

Surround speakers: Monster Cable MCX-1s Speaker Cable.

Subwoofer: Monster Cable MonsterBass 300 Subwoofer Interconnect.

Component: Monster Cable Monster Video 1 Component Video Cable.

Toslink: Monster Cable Interlink LightSpeed 100 High Performance Digital Fiber Optic Cable.

So, what do you think? Are there any changes that I should make?

By the way, the "Toslink" cable is to connect the DVD player's "Digital Out" to the A/V receiver's "Digital In" right?

I just bought my RC-7 and the MCX-1s Bi-wire center channel cable (The one for $50). It works and sounds great! All you do is screw on the connecting pins you want and you are set. So, that one is a go.

However, I also bought the MCX-2s main speaker cable (they don't make a bi-wire for MCX-2s) instead of the MCX-1s Bi-wire. The MCX-2s are $10 cheaper but I was sold on them because they have different wire gauges for high and low frequency (Wider wire for lows, thinner wire for highs)and the salesman said this was a better proven method than bi-wiring and I would easily notice better detail and bass response. Plus I wouldn't have to buy four more pins. But, if your going to spend all that money already, who cares about 30 dollars more. You'll be happy with either one.

----------------

On 10/23/2002 9:18:37 AM Dombo wrote:

I just bought my RC-7 and the MCX-1s Bi-wire center channel cable (The one for $50). It works and sounds great! All you do is screw on the connecting pins you want and you are set. So, that one is a go.

However, I also bought the MCX-2s main speaker cable (they don't make a bi-wire for MCX-2s) instead of the MCX-1s Bi-wire. The MCX-2s are $10 cheaper but I was sold on them because they have different wire gauges for high and low frequency (Wider wire for lows, thinner wire for highs)and the salesman said this was a better proven method than bi-wiring and I would easily notice better detail and bass response. Plus I wouldn't have to buy four more pins. But, if your going to spend all that money already, who cares about 30 dollars more. You'll be happy with either one.

----------------

If that was the case, why didn't you get the MCX-2s Center Channel speaker cable for the RC-7 too?

Looks like a big chunk of change for wires to me, but atleast you'll be happy with them. If you're gonna spend that much get the Monsterbass 400 cable, better than the 300 and worse than the M series. 2.gif I have the Monsterbass 400 and it works great, I'm sure the 300 works well too, but if you have the money might as well huh? 2.gif

My IXOS bi-wire has the thicker wire for lows and thinner for highs, maybe take a look at other brands of wire, possibly save some $$$ and get a better cable.

And correct on the digital in/out. I have the Monster Fiber Optic cable you listed ($79.95) and it works fine. 9.gif

I would recommend using a coax cable for digital rather than using optical. Coax has higher bandwidth.

Think about this:

1) Optical - the electrical signal from the DVD is converted to optical so it can be transported to the receiver via the optical cable. Then in the receiver it is again converted from optical to electrical.

2) Coax caries the electrical signal straight away to the receiver.

This is my understanding, however.

Sounds like you will have great sound. If I were you I think I would spend a little more on the componet cables. The video 1 is there entry interconnect--no turbin cutts. This can make it hard to get on the terminal if the fit is not perfect. I reccomend at least the video 3.

----------------

On 10/23/2002 7:48:01 PM Dombo wrote:

I wanted to test out a biwire and see what all the hype was about, so I got the MCX-1s instead of the MCX-2s center. I think Z1 is not as good because monster has them listed in increasing quality from what I could tell(left to right)

----------------

Thanks.

So, now that you know what the difference is in biwiring, you would get the MCX-2s Center Channel cable for the RC-7 if you could buy again?

"I would recommend using a coax cable for digital rather than using optical. Coax has higher bandwidth.

Think about this:

1) Optical - the electrical signal from the DVD is converted to optical so it can be transported to the receiver via the optical cable. Then in the receiver it is again converted from optical to electrical.

2) Coax caries the electrical signal straight away to the receiver."

Higher bandwidth???

Even if you are using a coax digital connection its still digital so it will still go through a DAC(digital to analog converter)to be converted from digital information(ones and zeros) into sound.

A coax cable is more susceptable to electromagnetic interference inside a crowded av rack than an optical cable in my opinion.

I currently use one of each type of digital connection on my Yamaha HTR-5540 and personally I can't tell a difference.

Peace, Josh

Monster makes good cable, but overpriced and you can get more for your money with other brands. If you are looking at a optical cable I suggest you check out the Wireworld glass optical cable over at audioadvisor.com The glass is a huge step up from the plastic optical cables.

Unless you are going with pure silver cable, there ain't a hill of beans of difference. A difference, yes -- but nothing worth fretting over.

If you are set on Monster, you should go to Monster's site, and use the product comparsion feature to get a better idea of what the differences in their cables are.

Have you considered buying used cables off of www.audiogon.com?

I'm getting ready to unload all of my Monster interconnects there, as well as my MIT 4 speaker cables. Someone's going to get a good deal. I'd offer them to you -- but shipping might be murder.

BTW -- people can argue the debatable merits of biwiring until the universe collapses. Whatever the reason(s), it always makes a difference in my systems. It's not really noticable until you crank the system up. Biwiring seems to clean the treble up a little.