Smallish Room for Klipschorns?!

Duane

Hi Folks,

Just had my first experience listening to a pair of 1982 Khorns and it was inspiring how they sound in a larger space than I have.! Considering the opportunity to purchase them however my living room is only 13x14 with a high sloping ceiling with tile flooring on the ground floor. Also between the the two corners at one end are the sliding glass doors to the patio and the other end has the kitchen pass-thru(2x5) with an open doorway to the kitchen next to it. Music, 50's-60's Jazz mostly with some rock thru records and older tube equipment. Current speakers are  Altec Bi-flex which  surprisingly have decent bass without a subwoofer. Concerned the room will be not be adequate for sound development as I will be only 9-10 feet away at the listening position with the sofa backed up almost to the pass-thru. So is this an opportunity or is my brain working overtime?!?! It's all about the music.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Duane in Clearwater

• Like 2

I have had them in a room that small, also. 

I agree with Mallette; try them on the 14 foot side.

You might want to put a thick curtain over the sliding glass doors, and an area rug on the tile floor in front of the Khorns.

It is good that the ceiling is high, Klipschorns prefer that.  Klipsch says "at least 8.5 feet high," but more is better, IMO.

The only problem I'm aware of is that the sweet spot may only be about 1 1/2 seats wide, if you require good imaging.  Other aspects of the sweet spot my be wider (e.g., tonal balance, etc.).

You probably will be able to futz around with home made room treatments and furniture, and get the sound you want.  Don't over deaden the room.   I like putting some diffusers in, and keep absorbers to a minimum.  Diffusers may (or may not) make the room sound bigger. 

They can be plain:  

image.thumb.png.bf704632cb2b2603c2d5545ab814fb51.png

Or fancy:

image.png.ab25e9e130c4bd434804472e5afa8905.png

Or both.

Some people like Polycylindrical diffusers.  They are relatively easy to make (compared to the above).   See Artto's Klipschorn room.  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/forum/32-architectural/   

Shelves (probably not book cases because of closed ends) with lots of vases, art objects, and artifacts on them can be diffusive.

What kind of electronics do you have?  Do you have tone controls?  Audyssey?

It is possible that none of this is necessary.  Listen for prolonged periods first.

• Like 2

Don't over deaden the room.   I like putting some diffusers in, and keep absorbers to a minimum.  Diffusers may (or may not) make the room sound bigger. 

At first I over deadened my room. Then I experimented with both absorption and diffusion. It turned out that a good amount of diffusion and a minimal amount of absorption in key areas (reflection points) was the ticket.

It's worth going down this road and learning about room acoustics. You'll get the most out of your listening experience and your equipment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1