Hi all, 

Newbie to the Klipsch board but long time vinyl dj and analog guy :) I need your help. I'm building a home set up for my dj gear (ie. all analog rotary mixer and all turntables), playing disco, 80s, and early & modern electronic music. I've got Heresy IIIs and a sub on my list and I'm having trouble what amp to choose. I wasn't trying to spend "too" much (around $1K and under) but here's what I've narrow down in terms of integrated amps (hoping to connect a few other inputs, maybe a digital input, but sound quality is priority #1) - all of which are around 50w which I'm hoping would power the speakers enough. I know there are much better amps and pre+amp combos, but I'm trying to take it easy for my wife's sake ;) I've read around and on here of people saying more power to the Heresys will drive them to sound better but I'm thinking these should do the trick. 

Heed Elixer - class A

NAD C 368 - hybrid class D

Cambridge CXA60/CXA80 - class A/B

PS Sprout 100 - class D

NAD D3045 V2 - class D

Marantz PM7005 - discrete circuitry

Peach Tree Decco125 - class D

Cheers

• Like 1

Yeah, the NAD 368 will make you happy.  I'm running a 338 and absolutely love it.  The only downside is no tone controls on mine, but I've got what you'd have to get the BlueOS module to accomplish with the 368.  If I remember right, the 3045 will high-pass itself for use with a sub, which is nice, too, but between them I'd go 368.  That way you can pick up a 268 later and bridge them (or bi-amp) if you want.

Even the 338 will drive my Forte IIIs to excessive levels in a fairly large room.

• Like 1

The likelihood of hearing any differences in audio quality b/w these amps is nil, IMHO.  Todays solid-state amps are engineered to be sonically linear while driving any typical loudspeaker, and the Klipsch is a very easy speaker to drive.  50 watts is more than enough unless you're interested in causing long-term hearing loss.

So, with that in mind, I'd consider the amps feature set and form factor.  Several of these amps (the Peachtree, and Sprout for example) lack a balance control, would that be a problem (it sure would for me  but not for everyone)?  ...And tone controls (for me a must-have, but not for others)?  ..How about the digital display on the NAD C 368?  ..In my experience, these displays and touch-screens can deteriorate with time, but my one experience might not be representative.  ..And how about having an internal DAC?  Some believe that DAC technology is apt to change so you might believe it better to keep this "outboard" (I do not share this view).  Are you ok with a "push & scroll" control knob that you use for both volume AND to chose inputs and access other settings? Some prefer this for it's simplicity/ tidiness,  Others, like me, prefer separate, faceplate mounted controls for these purposes?

If it were me, I'd probably pick the Marantz or the Cambridge Audio, but only because of their feature set and form-factor.    ..But sound-wise, I think they will all do just fine.

ods

@KayR311,

Welcome to the forum.

I have driven my Heresy 1s and Heresy 2s with various pieces over the years.  Some to mention are my current Cambridge Audio 640A V2 and NAD T773 AVR,  Integra DTM-40.4, Luxman R-117, B&K PT-3II/Acurus A150 combo, Adcom preamp/amp combo, Denon PMA-700V, Denon PMA-750, Denon PMA-1080R, Yamaha A-S1000.  All combos sounded pretty wonderful, though tonally some slight differences and some had more bass slam.  Speaking for the Cambridge Audio and NAD examples you are considering, either will power the H3s with ease and should be tonally similar.  Can't honestly speak for the other integrateds mentioned for lack of experience but being how the Heresys are not really amplifier picky, they too should be fine.

Bill

1 hour ago, willland said:

@KayR311,

Welcome to the forum.

I have driven my Heresy 1s and Heresy 2s with various pieces over the years.  Some to mention are my current Cambridge Audio 640A V2 and NAD T773 AVR,  Integra DTM-40.4, Luxman R-117, B&K PT-3II/Acurus A150 combo, Adcom preamp/amp combo, Denon PMA-700V, Denon PMA-750, Denon PMA-1080R, Yamaha A-S1000.  All combos sounded pretty wonderful, though tonally some slight differences and some had more bass slam.  Speaking for the Cambridge Audio and NAD examples you are considering, either will power the H3s with ease and should be tonally similar.  Can't honestly speak for the other integrateds mentioned for lack of experience but being how the Heresys are not really amplifier picky, they too should be fine.

Bill

which of these amps you listed have more low end?...

Just now, habinger808 said:

which of these amps you listed have more low end?...

Seriously, the B&K/Acurus(150w/ch) combo did produce the best(tightest and coherent) of all but the Denon integrateds were great as well as the legendary Luxman R-117 were very punchy and fast.  None of them were slow and bloated by no means.

I am very happy with my current setups, NAD/Heresy I and Cambridge Audio/Heresy II.

Bill

• Thanks 1

Great, love all the comments! Any tips on the type of amp in terms of circuitry? I know class-A amps sound amazing, even though they run pretty hot and aren't as efficient as other. I know technically class D are inferior but with today's tech, they can sound just as good. 

@billybob , those NADs do look great. Are you working with a NAD amp? I like that the C 368 is a bit more high end than the 3045. Although I do love the size of the 3045, just wanted something more 'audiophile'. 

@glens, read that the 338 does sound smooooth. Many reviews compared it to the Cambridge Audio CX60, seems like they might be similiar in that comparison. Good to hear it drives your Fortes though. Did you bi-amp as well? Curious how that would work out. The CX80 has XLR inputs too which I think my analog mixer would love to take advantage of!

@Panelhead, i don't know much about Marantz, but i feel like i should! Can you recommend something for me or do you think that model works? They make so many different models are hard to narrow a few down. 

@ODS123, good points. I originally wanted the Sprout, but also read the same things. And because I'll be connecting an analog rotary mixer to the amp, my first priority is sound, then functionality (pre/sub out, maybe a digital in, so yes a quality internal DAC but analog circuitry is more important for me), then appearance (was hoping for something small like the Heed Elixir). Do you have a particular marantz or cambridge audio amp you'd recommend than the ones i listed? 

@willland, you're home set up sounds amazing! Any particular amp you lean towards between the Cambridge and NAD w/ your H1 and H2s?

At this point, I think Im narrowing down my list to the Elixir (might be the best sounding one with its class A amp), Cambridge Audio, NAD, and Marantz. 

12 minutes ago, KayR311 said:

@willland, you're home set up sounds amazing! Any particular amp you lean towards between the Cambridge and NAD w/ your H1 and H2s?

Truthfully, the Cambridge Audio integrated with Heresy IIs does sound a bit better due to it's strictly stereo design.  But the room acoustics are not as good as the guest bedroom with the NAD/Heresy I combo.  The NAD is a multichannel AVR so by design it will not do stereo as well as a dedicated 2-channel rig but for an AVR, it is the best I have ever heard.  If the NAD ever takes a dump, I would not hesitate replacing it with an older or current NAD integrated amp.  

Really a tough call between CA and NAD.

Bill

On 3/9/2019 at 12:12 AM, KayR311 said:

Hi all, 

Newbie to the Klipsch board but long time vinyl dj and analog guy :) I need your help. I'm building a home set up for my dj gear (ie. all analog rotary mixer and all turntables), playing disco, 80s, and early & modern electronic music. I've got Heresy IIIs and a sub on my list and I'm having trouble what amp to choose. I wasn't trying to spend "too" much (around $1K and under) but here's what I've narrow down in terms of integrated amps (hoping to connect a few other inputs, maybe a digital input, but sound quality is priority #1) - all of which are around 50w which I'm hoping would power the speakers enough. I know there are much better amps and pre+amp combos, but I'm trying to take it easy for my wife's sake ;) I've read around and on here of people saying more power to the Heresys will drive them to sound better but I'm thinking these should do the trick. 

Heed Elixer - class A

NAD C 368 - hybrid class D

Cambridge CXA60/CXA80 - class A/B

PS Sprout 100 - class D

NAD D3045 V2 - class D

Marantz PM7005 - discrete circuitry

Peach Tree Decco125 - class D

Cheers

This will do everything you want to do. Tubes & Klipsch 😍

https://www.noteworthyaudio.com/products/cayin-cs55a-integrated-tube-amplifier

FWIW, I read that the newer Klipsch speakers don't play well with class D amps. If you get one be sure  you can return it.

I'm using the Cambridge CXA60 with some Radian Coaxials which have the same sensitivity as the Heresy III. Trust me, unless you live in a barn, it'll get plenty loud enough.

I've owned a lot of integrated amps over the years, the CXA60 makes my top three.

• Like 2

I just ordered an Onkyo A-9110 integrated amp for a second system. It is only rated at 30 watts per channel A/B into 8 ohms, 50 into 4. It’s all analog, no digital inputs which I personally prefer. I have a very good DAC. Four line level inputs, MM phono stage, tape out, and fixed subwoofer out. It also boasts a modern loudness circuit and tone defeat for the purists. For a tick under 300 clams and 30 day satisfaction guarantee I figured, why not try it? My Heresy III’s are on order, hoping they will be here today. I will certainly try the Onkyo with them and report back. 

• Like 2