New Deang AA's with Jupiters

Budman

32 minutes ago, Budman said:

shootout

Could you expand your description?  I've seen and owned several varieties of Khorn Type AA's including the Crites A/4500 but I don't know everything about them.  What are you A/B'ing, and how is the sound different?

The set on top came out of my personal LaScalas - that’s the only set like that I’ve ever built. The Werner autoformer and copper foil inductor on the low pass were simply to satisfy curiosity. The capacitors are MusiCaps and RTX MultiCaps (all film and foil). 

The set on the bottom is how I would prefer to build these in the future. Jupiter on the primary, and Arizona Blue on the tweeter. The Arizonas are Mylar film/paper in oil and hermetically sealed. The capacitor is actually the 524 Series from Electrocube. 

https://4donline.ihs.com/images/VipMasterIC/IC/ELCU/ELCUS00028/ELCUS00028-1.pdf

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Could you expand your description?  I've seen and owned several varieties of Khorn Type AA's including the Crites A/4500 but I don't know everything about them.  What are you A/B'ing, and how is the sound different?

I’m going to guess that anything you’ve ever heard involved either the old worn cans or entry level metalized capacitors. 

Films sound smoother and a bit more subdued, not having that characteristic exaggerated sizzle and low level grain that many metalized capacitors have. Of course, nothing that would be noticed in a triple blind, hands tied behind your back test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s only a handful of commercial companies that wind capacitors, and they simply wind to a vendor’s specs and put their label on them. Looking at the spec sheet for the 524 Series, it seems highly unlikely that it’s not the same capacitor. 

12 minutes ago, Deang said:

I’m going to guess that anything you’ve ever heard involved either the old worn cans or entry level metalized capacitors. 

Films sound smoother and a bit more subdued, not having that characteristic exaggerated sizzle and low level grain that many metalized capacitors have. Of course, nothing that would be noticed in a triple blind, hands tied behind your back test. 

Dean, what is it about the Arizona caps that is an improvement over the Audiocap Thetas that you had previously recommended?

These look great.

I rebuilt some crossovers and used foil inductors once. Went back to wire after. Not sure I could hear any difference over just coiled wire construction. But they sure are pretty.

Maybe in ten years I will look at the crossovers in the LSii and Hiii. 

That is why I bought new. I would diddle with older sets instead of listening. 

If I had an older set ALK, BC, and you would be tired of the inquires by now. 

I’ve always recommended any film and foil over a metalized. The PPT Theta is best value in that category. A 2uF Theta is $20, which I consider very reasonable for what they are giving you. By contrast, the polystyrene RTX is $60, and the Jupiters are almost $90. 

I always said I would use a Mylar if I could find a true film version of it. These are also in oil and hermetically sealed. A lot of capacitor for $40 a piece.

Using these type of parts in the new designs is cost prohibitive because of part count. It works well for what I do because the filters are simple and only have three capacitors.

I bought some for the networks supporting my Radian Coaxials. Gee, I sure hope it sounds good. 😮

2 hours ago, Budman said:

my 86 year old mother in law just moved in with us so 100db is a little much

she does like Dire Straits

Wow... 100db. If I got my rig upto 100db, the reflections would just cause havoc with my hearing. I don't know how folks listen that loudly?