New Deang AA's with Jupiters

Budman

48 minutes ago, Schu said:

Wow... 100db. If I got my rig upto 100db, the reflections would just cause havoc with my hearing. I don't know how folks listen that loudly?

Ditto on this. I distinctly remember a period of wanting to crank my gear as loud as possible for grins - I think purely to show that it could do so without imploding, not because it sounded great. As my gear has grown larger in both size and capability, however, my listening levels have gone back down and normalized in the 85db range. I generally don't forbid new listeners from grabbing the remote and turning it up if they like, but I've come to appreciate the nuance that's found in music at lower SPL reproduction levels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To find the spaces between the notes (the shape, color and nuance)... one needs to NOT squeeze and compress that air/space to the point where it becomes indistinguishable from everything else around it.

Maybe one of the truly free ways to increase playback quality, is to learn how to listen...

Russ,

I would image the crossover with the Werner Autotransformers and Foil Inductors sound better than your crossover with the Jupiters, can you discern a difference?  I have been curious about spending money on the Werner Autotransformers and wondering if they are worth the additional monies?

Thanks,

Bernard

i have not had any time with the jupiters because i just installed them a couple days ago

as far as cost, Dean would have to answer that

i have 2 hrs on the new ones but i set them up in 2 different rooms so that was my first mistake. i have them on my first floor 2 channel now where they will stay. when i have time i will bring up the other set and compare with the same songs and the same volume

14 hours ago, Deang said:

Films sound smoother and a bit more subdued, not having that characteristic exaggerated sizzle and low level grain that many metalized capacitors have.

I am beginner in this field, but it took only one recap job to confirm that.

My ribbon tweeters on Infinities with enry-level Mundorf M-cap capacitors certainly show exactly what Dean is saying. Ordinary midrange drivers have responded acceptably. Ribbons seems too picky and I will try to use better caps on them.

I’m totally missing my Dean networks. Never realized how rough the stock caps sounded until I went back to the 76 AAs. An in my face noisy and fatiguing sound. Crackling K77s too now, though it could be the amp. The blacker background is exactly what I got with the ppt theta build. Can’t imagine how lovely the Jupiter’s sound as well as those others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, bchristmas said:

I would image the crossover with the Werner Autotransformers and Foil Inductors sound better than your crossover with the Jupiters, can you discern a difference?  I have been curious about spending money on the Werner Autotransformers and wondering if they are worth the additional monies?

For the low pass, the only nice thing about the CFAC is that you get lower DCR compared to the same gauge in a standard wire air core. Personally, I'm fine with steel laminates in the low pass. The DCR is lower and they cost less. It's a win-win.  

The Werner C-core is an impressive unit. However, I'm convinced that any difference I heard (slight) was related more to the differences in marked attenuation (compared to the units we normally use around here) than any other supposed advantage of the C-core. However, I can't be 100% certain of this.

Please review the following thread if you haven't seen it already.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/c-core-auto-transformers.516061/#post-6714319 

The Werner C-core is an impressive unit. However, I'm convinced that any difference I heard (slight) was related more to the differences in marked attenuation (compared to the units we normally use around here) than any other supposed advantage of the C-core. However, I can't be 100% certain of this.

Please review the following thread if you haven't seen it already.

Yes, I have reviewed that thread by SET12, and he speaks very highly of the Werner C-core's, and because of his mods to the Forte crossovers he has peeked by curiosity.  So, when you installed the C-cores in @Badman crossover's I saw that there is the possibility of obtaining another opinion.