Subwoofers up off the floor (in-wall) Superdave youtube

dtximages

I was linked to a YouTube video last night of Superdave's (active Klipsch forum member I believe) home theater and he has like 4 or 6 18inch subs behind the walls mounted somehow.  Perhaps this has been discussed already on this forum but I couldn't find direct reference to this.  

Anyway, I'm kinda getting back into audio again after a brief break and the standard back then was that subs need to be on the floor and using spiked feet preferably.

Now I'm seeing high end systems where the sub is decoupled from the floor (like SVS soundpath feet) or Superdaves "flown" subs behind walls.

This cannot be simply cosmetic as I know Superdave wouldn't sacrifice quality for looks.  Thoughts?

That's pretty sick..  I do believe that Superdave's woofers are in enclosures, just mounted behind the wall.  

So is this a new thing?  I was under the impression that the tuning/engineering of the enclosure is unavoidable for anything new audiophile sound or quality.

Was your room specially designed?  How does that not rattle off drywall panels ha?

40 minutes ago, clspruiell said:

Was your room specially designed?  How does that not rattle off drywall panels ha?

Not specially designed no.  There's a ton of bracing that you can't see behind it.  The arrays are bolted to the ceiling joists on the bottom and the top has braces bolted from the rafters to the wall studs.  I haven't even cracked the paint on that wall but the windows in the house fear for their life when I crank it up.  It's even turned ceiling fan blades in the kitchen which is the room right behind it where a lot of the braces attach.

44 minutes ago, clspruiell said:

I was under the impression that the tuning/engineering of the enclosure is unavoidable for anything new audiophile sound or quality.

The IB response curve looks very similar to a sealed box.  It has a very smooth gradual roll off the lower you go.  It's also extremely clean as the drivers don't have to move very far for good output.  Ib's have been around a while.  I think I built mine 12 or 13 years ago.

51 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The IB response curve looks very similar to a sealed box.  It has a very smooth gradual roll off the lower you go.  It's also extremely clean as the drivers don't have to move very far for good output.  Ib's have been around a while.  I think I built mine 12 or 13 years ago.

got to hear an IB set-up one day. Yeah, lets use the house as an enclosure. Very cool idea.

3 minutes ago, Shiva said:

got to hear an IB set-up one day. Yeah, lets use the house as an enclosure. Very cool idea.

@Mallette has been by and heard mine along with many other forum members over the years.   If you didn't know it was there you'd swear that the mains had a limitless bottom end.  If you're ever in the area. ........

• Like 1