Does Size Really Matter?

consistent

Hi Guys

It appears that the Cornwall's internal box size sits at around 6.6 cu ft. I think the original was around 7.25 cu ft. My numbers assume that the panels used are 0.75" thick. So does size matter when deciding on bottom end response?  I have seen a number of different sizes being used in developing the Cornscala. Bob Crites gets the 6.6 with his 22.5 x 22.5 x 22.5 internal measurement with nothing being added to the box, including the drivers. What size works best? Does using the 'golden ratio' work out better than a cube? You thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Depends on the woofer and port geometry.  Things to consider are damping for removing internal reflections and box rigidity.  

The box needs to be sized and damped to avoid noise at the port and to avoid reflections that are a conflicting wavelength as to which the woofer operates.  Hard to generalize unless you know what you want to get out of the box in your room though the best solution for bass is building the box for your room. 

I certainly agree with 'room' interplay unless of course you have some cool electronics that pacifies room anomalies. I am still using old school techniques of room treatments and ears!

But if you had a K-33 or Crites woofer can you do any better than current accepted box geometry/porting?