Inspire Mono Blocks - Sale Pending thanks Paul

Cornman

Received this pair of custom made Amps from Dennis Had today . Waited for 12 weeks for them to be built & paid $2,900.00 for them . But unfortunately there just not my cup of tea- possibly incompatible with my other gear . Either way it makes for a Bargain for someone else . Ouput tubes are 6550,, with two types of drivers come with set of 6sn7 and 6sl7  - your choice for different sound and one pair of 5ar4 rectifier's .

Yours for $2,600.00 with free shipping .

Any questions,  please ask .

IMG_2434.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joessportster said:

The Inspire amps are pushing his Oris horns with Tang Band drivers...............

So what was not right ?

I am asking b/c I recently acquired an inspire tube amp from Dennis, and it works beautifully with any set of speakers I tried it with. Klipschorns, la scalla II's, cornwalls III's and H-3's. 

With my amp, I rolled tubes and on all sounded good.

41 minutes ago, pallpoul said:

So what was not right ?

I am asking b/c I recently acquired an inspire tube amp from Dennis, and it works beautifully with any set of speakers I tried it with. Klipschorns, la scalla II's, cornwalls III's and H-3's. 

There are many different aspects when it comes to SYNERGY while Dennis amps may sound wonderful on X, Y, or Z. it is a cinch you can BET they will not sound Good on something else and or when paired with various Pre-amps, as Well as some source units will not gel with his amps.  After you get the thousands of possible gear combinations out of the way then you have to take in account individual preference's, tastes, Bias, & hearing.  In short it may have absolutely NOTHING to do with the amps, Simply a matter that they do not play well with existing gear, expectations, or desired sound.....  

55 minutes ago, pallpoul said:

So what was not right ?

None of which sound like Oris horns with tang bands.. Totally different experience.

• Like 1

Understandable Pallpoul , several other members here use The Inspire amp & highly recommended it , that was part of my decision to go with Dennis . There are a couple of things in play here - First & probably most relevant is the fact that my taste in sound does not always coincide with other people . For example I just sold the Cary SLP98 F! pre amp to Joesporster & my friend Kevinmen love this pre as do thousands of others but for me it was just too  dry so I went with a differnt brand . Thats just me and also one of the great things about this hobby - we build systems to suite us ! Over the past hour I have changed the driver tube & that helped but the biggest improvement came from changing the crossover point on the Crown DSP for the bass cut off point - that has made it much better. But for  now I am so upset (angry)  with Dennis's response to my query - Could I give you $300.00 to except a return . He replied he was in disbelief & that ever one loves his amps & there would be no refund even at a profit . He is certainly entitled to set his business policies as he wishes but he is not entitled to tell me what I am hearing and what I like . So even if I adjust them enough to like the sound  I dont know if I can live with them - he has left me a really bad taste .

• Sad 1

=== I too have a Dennis Inspire and have always found him to be extremely nice and most pleasant to speak with. I can’t comment on his business practice on returns, but I digress. Since you have had the amps for just one day would it not be prudent to give them a week or three and see how you feel then? Or try them for a week and roll in different tubes. His sound can be described as “soft” maybe “mellow” which is how many of Cary amps have been described. You might give the Russian military 6n3c-e a try. Probably the best tube I’ve tried with mine with a more “direct” sound. 

And - were you familiar with SEP sound prior to the purchase? Possibly that genres is just not your cup of tea — good luck.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cornman said:

Understandable Pallpoul , several other members here use The Inspire amp & highly recommended it , that was part of my decision to go with Dennis . There are a couple of things in play here - First & probably most relevant is the fact that my taste in sound does not always coincide with other people . For example I just sold the Cary SLP98 F! pre amp to Joesporster & my friend Kevinmen love this pre as do thousands of others but for me it was just too  dry so I went with a differnt brand . Thats just me and also one of the great things about this hobby - we build systems to suite us ! Over the past hour I have changed the driver tube & that helped but the biggest improvement came from changing the crossover point on the Crown DSP for the bass cut off point - that has made it much better. But for  now I am so upset (angry)  with Dennis's response to my query - Could I give you $300.00 to except a return . He replied he was in disbelief & that ever one loves his amps & there would be no refund even at a profit . He is certainly entitled to set his business policies as he wishes but he is not entitled to tell me what I am hearing and what I like . So even if I adjust them enough to like the sound  I dont know if I can live with them - he has left me a really bad taste .

I am right there in your corner Joe, I bought coincident TOTL amps years ago 4k. from the builder (they were used). When they hit my door I was charged a 75.00 fee by FedEx, then once hooked up a Bias pot was bad and could not bias them.  The seller after MUCH back and forth sent me a USED pot 3.00 part from China he removed from a different amp. I was so Pissed with the builder seller after repair I posted them for sell immediately.

I find Once I get a BAD TASTE in my mouth I will never be satisfied, Those amps could have excreted Gold bars every 8 hours and I would never have liked them

I am also not a big believer of burn in, while things will change with time I think mostly it is just ones ears / brain getting used to the new sound.  Everytime I follow the wait and see idea I just end up selling a few weeks later as I can not get past the initial dislike and I find myself CONSTANTLY listening for the initial issues I had.  

All that said I would bet the main issue is Synergy and FYI Joe I never heard a Pentode I liked with ORIS.....................I have used and LOVED 45 SET amps (Favorite),  2a3 (decent)

a custom 1 off 10Y at a whopping 3/4 watt (very nice).  OTL was nice but I always found them kind of sterile.  I would bet if you are loving the ORIS  a 45 SET amp would be right in your wheel house...........................If I can be of any assist let me know Joe 

Ok guy's ,, late last night I found the source of my sound problem . My system is bi amped with crown amp pushing bass. I found the input sensitivity of the Crown & the Inspire's to be way different . The Crown has a high & low choice of input resistance , I reduced to the low setting & also lowered the cutoff point 80 hz . Eureka - there it was all the ugly - reverb,, 'tin can" , sound was gone .

So now I need to start over & reevaluate the sound & my choice to sell or not . As RichyBb said below - good advise . Thanks to all the members for there support & suggestions .

13 hours ago, richieb said:

=== I too have a Dennis Inspire and have always found him to be extremely nice and most pleasant to speak with. I can’t comment on his business practice on returns, but I digress. Since you have had the amps for just one day would it not be prudent to give them a week or three and see how you feel then? Or try them for a week and roll in different tubes. His sound can be described as “soft” maybe “mellow” which is how many of Cary amps have been described. You might give the Russian military 6n3c-e a try. Probably the best tube I’ve tried with mine with a more “direct” sound. 

And - were you familiar with SEP sound prior to the purchase? Possibly that genres is just not your cup of tea — good luck.

• Like 1

For sure Richie, I did that first thing this morning . My displeasure was never intended as an insult, for I had always found Dennis a most friendly & agreeable artist . I am particular about my sound an its my routine to buy 3 or 4 different brands to try,  keeping one & returning  or reselling the others .

The Inspire amps have such a good rep I already have an offer but will need more listening time now that I have got it better dialed in .

As for mothering ,no worries there at 75 I am still childish enough to use some good mothering !  LOL  😀

On 3/12/2019 at 5:09 PM, Cornman said:

Received this pair of custom made Amps from Dennis Had today . Waited for 12 weeks for them to be built & paid $2,900.00 for them . But unfortunately there just not my cup of tea- possibly incompatible with my other gear . Either way it makes for a Bargain for someone else . Ouput tubes are 6550,, with two types of drivers come with set of 6sn7 and 6sl7  - your choice for different sound and one pair of 5ar4 rectifier's .

Yours for $2,600.00 with free shipping .

Any questions,  please ask .

IMG_2434.jpg

What's that lurking under the table ?