The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
bkwa1959

KT-88 vs 6550

I have a Dennis Had SEP amp that has Russian winged C 6550 tubes and I am looking for a little deeper bass ,has anyone used Gold lion KT-88's and if so could you give me your thoughts on the sound 

I had a similar issue with my DH/LSii... I solved it with 350b's and a cbs/hytron 5692. Mainly the 5692 did the trick for me, but I went thru three of them after finding the first one to my liking... I bought two more, a red base and another black base and neither could quite equal the first one I bought even though all three were way better than anything else I tried.

35114395511_8959a2e6a6_k.jpg

This was the last iteration which sounded the absolute best... psvane kt-88 with a shuguang cv-181. 

I've tried Gold Lion KT-88's in my Inspire amp, and wasn't impressed with them. I have the best sound with either vintage Tung-Sol 6550's or RCA black plate 6L6GB's. I'm not done tube rolling, so I may find something I like better down the road.

I did swap out the rectifier tube for a vintage tube, which I think made it sound better. I also swapped out the 6SL7 tube with a few different vintage tubes.

17 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

I have a Dennis Had SEP amp that has Russian winged C 6550 tubes and I am looking for a little deeper bass ,has anyone used Gold lion KT-88's and if so could you give me your thoughts on the sound 

I have an Inspire amp driving Heresy III's. What speakers are you driving?? There is only so much you can do for better bass rolling tubes. You may want to consider a subwoofer. I did not think I needed one until I bought one.

10 minutes ago, Les Lammers said:

I have an Inspire amp driving Heresy III's. What speakers are you driving?? There is only so much you can do for better bass rolling tubes. You may want to consider a subwoofer. I did not think I needed one until I bought one.

I agree. I use 2 subwoofers with my K-Horns, even though I get adequate bass from just the Horns themselves.

• Like 1

I have Klipschorns with Volti horns,bms-4592nd mids ,Volti vtk-400 crossovers and Beyma  cp25 tweeters ,I installed a RCA NOS 6sn7 gtb red letter base tube and it really helped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

See what Jac Music in Germany says about all of these tubes, very experienced audio parts dealer is Jac !!   Enjoy .

http://www.jacmusic.com/KT88/kt88.htm

Jeffrey Medwin

lots of good info on this site!

2 hours ago, kevinmi said:

lots of good info on this site!

Glad some folks like that.  Jac is one of THE best.   

After building Direct Coupled two stage tube SE amps the last dozen years, ( JJ 2A3-40s, Type 45 ( NG ) and 6005s ) I have recently gotten interested in doing an all-out SE DC KT88 amp design. 

Attached is Master Schematic for you to see.  VERY simple, elegant, all-tube design.  KISS rules.

I start the build this weekend.

Ordered some great 9 Pin Noval tube sockets for the Input stage tube - just this afternoon from  " Jakeband ", the Italian tube socket maker who supposedly beats what Jac offers, in Yammomoto sockets, at a few Euro's less in price.  LOOK at his all-out product designs, ...see :

http://www.jakeband.it/index.html

If 'ya want to use the best tube socket, these from Italy may be "it" today! 

My design's Input / Driver tube has a mu of 100, so its going to have the best possible parts implementation I can do, to retain full-fidelity, with minimal loss per stage.

Jeffrey Medwin                                                     KT88 MASTER SCHEMATIC.pdf

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 12:04 PM, Les Lammers said:

That is what I was thinking. If the amp is properly designed rolling tubes shouldn't have big changes on bandwidth.

13 hours ago, seti said:

That is what I was thinking. If the amp is properly designed rolling tubes shouldn't have big changes on bandwidth.

With Inspire amps it's possible to go from a few watts/channel (6V6) to around 10 watts (KT-150), so I think it's more about presentation. I've noticed some tubes will be more bass heavy with highs rolled off more, some have better midrange clarity, etc. All is subtle changes though, nothing drastic.

2 hours ago, kevinmi said:

With Inspire amps it's possible to go from a few watts/channel (6V6) to around 10 watts (KT-150), so I think it's more about presentation. I've noticed some tubes will be more bass heavy with highs rolled off more, some have better midrange clarity, etc. All is subtle changes though, nothing drastic.

Oh yeah you are correct that makes a difference and I hadn't thought of that........ Clarity is one thing but rolled off bass or highs is another. Hmm is it properly designed if it can't present a width bandwidth with tube rolling? Just speculating I mean no offense. I know nothing of this design. Is there a swt spot for certain tubes. Do you roll driver tubes as well

1 hour ago, seti said:

Oh yeah you are correct that makes a difference and I hadn't thought of that........ Clarity is one thing but rolled off bass or highs is another. Hmm is it properly designed if it can't present a width bandwidth with tube rolling? Just speculating I mean no offense. I know nothing of this design. Is there a swt spot for certain tubes. Do you roll driver tubes as well

My Inspire came with a 6SL7, and I've tried a few different vintage variants. I have read that you can replace it with a 6SN7 that will yield a different presentation altogether, with more pronounced bass. I've never tried it, being satisfied with the bass response with the 6SL7.

In dennis' own hand..

47396070261_26e63e7e52_h.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 6:20 PM, bkwa1959 said:

Deeper bass ??   

The design of the amplifier has about 10 to 15 times more profound effect on the quality of the bass, than switching output tube brands will produce.   

Additionally, well thought-out wiring of an audio system -  amp to driver voice coils, can also have a larger effect on a high efficiency speaker's bass presentation,......   moreso than swapping tubes.

Jeff Medwin

Yet you digress...

I guess I need to have my ears checked,I installed a quad set of gold lion kt-66 tubes in my Inspire SEP  amp and not only was the bass better,but they smoothed out the top end too.I think it the end each person has to make the changes and decide for himself though I had a friend over yesterday and he could not believe the difference in the sound.

From my experience, the JJ KT88 is king of the hill for bass. Its likely my fav KT88/6500 variant.

If wanting a good all around... the Tungsol 6550. 

In general Ive been less than impressed with the GL... price vs performance isn't there for me.