The Joy of physical media ( CD’s and such )

felipe

Early this afternoon I hooked up an older BD player to my AVR via optical to be used to play my CD collection ( which I haven't opened up in years ). As far as music, I’ve been either streaming or iTunes listening. I almost forgot how it is to pop in a CD, sit in that “sweet spot”, and just enjoy the tunes ( with a drink in hand of course lol ). Very relaxing...and the SQ is obviously better lol. I’m almost looking into vinyl....😉

• Like 2

Get/build a music server and rip those CDs to FLAC.  I have serious attention deficit, at least I think ... oh wait a squirrel!  All humour aside, wow it is so nice to jump around quickly, move within a track, across artists etc. all from that "sweet spot" avec the scotch (on ice, sorry to the purists).

• Thanks 1

I got myself a Bluesound Vault for Christmas and just got done ripping my CD collection. Amazingly easy and great indexing with the phone remote app. Also streaming Tidal MQA with the Vault. Playback from the Vault library or streaming Tidal way outshines my old but decent CD player sound-wise and access-wise. I still like my trusty turntable too but in a different sort of way. 

Added: There is still a certain elegance to actually handling and loading the media. I always wanted a B&O multiple CD changer just for the cool factor and the fun of operation. 

• Moderators

Let me ask a question here, which streaming service has the best quality?

Even knowing it's not as good or it seems so anyway I still use streaming much more than physical media. It's for convenience, and variety, It's like having a warehouse full of physical media in your hand, that's hard to beat.

Right now I do not subscribe/pay to any service but if I do it would have to be better than the free services, I would hate to pay just to not get commercials, it would have to be better quality.

10 hours ago, felipe said:

Early this afternoon I hooked up an older BD player to my AVR via optical to be used to play my CD collection ( which I haven't opened up in years ). As far as music, I’ve been either streaming or iTunes listening. I almost forgot how it is to pop in a CD, sit in that “sweet spot”, and just enjoy the tunes ( with a drink in hand of course lol ). Very relaxing...and the SQ is obviously better lol. I’m almost looking into vinyl....😉

9 hours ago, y2keglide said:

I still love spinning vinyl more than any other media, there's just something about it.

https://coed.com/2014/08/12/top-10-albums-to-use-for-rolling-joints-to-celebrate-vinyl-record-day/

• Haha 2

I don't find having to drop a cd into my player to be a terrible inconvenience. If I plan an extended listening session, as when guests are over, I drop 5 into my changer. I also have the capability of streaming from my Icloud library through my Ipad mini into a USB port on one of my amps. (using the DAC within said amp.) I think it sounds fine.  To my ear, cds sound best to me. Down the road, it is inevitable to integrate a computer into my rig, but for now I am fine with the way things are.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:02 PM, MC39693 said:

Get/build a music server and rip those CDs to FLAC.  I have serious attention deficit, at least I think ... oh wait a squirrel!  All humour aside, wow it is so nice to jump around quickly, move within a track, across artists etc. all from that "sweet spot" avec the scotch (on ice, sorry to the purists).

I was kinda thinking of doing something along those lines, but instead of a music a server rip my CD’s to my PC, then transfer to a portable storage media ( such as a USB drive) or something similar. 

If you get it right, streaming sounds far better than the physical media. I have compared a Cal Audio Labs transport spinning a disc into my MHDT DAC vs streaming via my Allo Digi one Pi player (either from my Synology NAS or from Tidal) into the DAC and the difference is not subtle. I'll never go back to playing seedees. Hell, I'm a died on the wool vinyl fanatic and I don't even spin rekkids like I used to.

Shakey

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

99% CD listening. 1% is when I'm at the gym. 

Sound quality is what it's about, otherwise we would enjoy Bose. 

Unless you have tinnitus and then you just take the good days and bad days.  ;)