Heresy II lack of highs?

Elisei.s

Hello, 

I am new on a Klipsch forum and never heard any klipsch speakers before. But as a try I purchased pair of old Heresy II. 
Cosmetically not perfect, but drivers sims to me are working. Cabinets have round cup terminal on a back. Crossover looks very simple. My first impression with a sound - WOW! Very dynamically! I would definitely like to restore them to original specs or do minor improvements where it is possible. I`ve read that there are some mods possible - Ti diaphragms on Mids and Hights, crossover mods... 

Currently I am using simple yamaha receiver. Waiting for Yaqin MS-13s tube amplifier from Hong Kong. Hopefully will have it before summer. Lol. 

What I would like to improve - lack of high frequencies. H2 sounds very dynamic in a middle, but there is no highs. Custom build speakers (Scan-Speak D6600 tweeter + Focal 165W mid) with the same receiver sounds much higher. I am not sure if tweeters are working properly, I mean there is some sort of sound came from tweets, but very week level. If someone in Chicago area (north suburbs) can help me evaluate my speakers and tell if they are OK? it will be awesome.  I am afraid of doing any modification before find out what is wrong. 

Could you also recommend me "must to do" list if it exist:

Just for example:

- replace capacitors in crossover, 

- move crossover to separate board, 

- Ti tweeters diaphragm 

Thanks,

Elisei

Edited by Elisei.s
  • Like 1

Something is wrong there. Heresy IIs aren't normally referred to as having weak treble response.

To the contrary I've had to convince people that saw mine and belittled me on my decision to buy them because they were harsh and did not sound real. After I'd heard their JBL bookshelf muffled mess for sound with a high dollar receiver in the proper zip code part of town.

Had a big 125/wpc Yamaha with the treble knocked back a bit and the variable loudness dialed back too. I heard realistic sound reproduction, they did too, and reluctantly agreed with me after half a record at different volume levels.

Knee-jerk thought from me is the tweeters have a loose connection or are shot.

The age probably necessitate crossover refreshing irregardless of the above.

Thinking if you do the xover first maybe the tweeters could end up being fine after all.

• Like 1

Use a tube like from a paper towel holder to check the tweeters.  Put one end in the mouth of the tweeter horn and the other up to your ear.  Put a towel or sock in the mid range horn.  If there's no sound coming from the tweeters it's possible that they're blown.  It's not uncommon.

Tube from a paper towel holder did the job! Tweeters are not dead. Thank you for your advises. My setup is probably too weak to reproduce all frequencies diapason.  I am going to work in this direction also will move crossovers on a separate board and recap capacitors. 

The more I listen Heresy, the more I like it. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Elisei.s said:

Tube from a paper towel holder did the job! Tweeters are not dead. Thank you for your advises. My setup is probably too weak to reproduce all frequencies diapason.  I am going to work in this direction also will move crossovers on a separate board and recap capacitors. 

The more I listen Heresy, the more I like it. 

Good deal.  A recap may bring the sparkle back.  A seperate cap board is a good idea as well as there's not much room on the back of the terminal cup.  That's what I did as well with a pair of H2s.

20180203_140613.jpg

• Like 1

Curious what you might have for speaker wire. Back in the day I tried a large heavy gauge wire (Monster Cable) on my new at the time Quartets and it made them sound as if the tweeters were disconnected. I went back to my previous standard ofc 14awg wire (10ft runs) and it made the speakers come back to life. 

Re cap the xovers would be the first step as mentioned above

On 3/14/2019 at 12:04 PM, Alexander said:

Curious what you might have for speaker wire. Back in the day I tried a large heavy gauge wire (Monster Cable) on my new at the time Quartets and it made them sound as if the tweeters were disconnected. I went back to my previous standard ofc 14awg wire (10ft runs) and it made the speakers come back to life. 

I would not call that a strike against all large gauge speaker wire.  For that matter, it can be hard to find out the actual wire size of Monster Cable, since it's not marked anywhere on the cable, and doesn't (or didn't) appear anywhere in the description of it.  I had a bad experience with some Monster Cable supposedly premium speaker wire.  It looked good and had pin terminals already installed on both ends, but it made the system sound so bad that I didn't even want to listen to it.  After a couple of days, I'd had enough and returned it.  I went back to the Prolink Home Theatre Speaker Cable (12 AWG) that I'd been using, and enjoyed fine sound again.

Some time later, I switched to Knukonceptz Karma Kable in 8 AWG, and found that sounded even better than the Prolink cable, and I've been using it ever since.  That makes 14 years now.  Later still, when I bi-amped the speakers, I went with 10 AWG Karma Kable for the tweeters, and was equally pleased with it.

• Like 1

After the original 18 gauge wire I had, upped it to 14 gauge ofc Monster that I used for decades until I went with the AudioQuest cabling.

@Alexander I envisioned that the lower resistivity of the larger gauge wire could equal better sound - it did, on my Heresy IIs anyway. Did not take away from any of the drivers, ofc might be the key here!

Almost 100% found an issue. I did replace two blue capacitors 1.5uF on a one speaker in a tweeter path. Yes! Huge diffenent if comparing to another side. I had only pair of Mkp Audiophiler 2.2 uF ordered from China. Bells came back! 

Just in case ESR meter reads 0.5 Om for old stock capacitor and 0.1 Om for new one. Now I know where to move - rebuild crossovers. 

BA6A1BBD-DECA-4D73-9766-41E040F891A1.jpeg

D8E4AA82-4636-4D98-968B-6A4175E9620E.jpeg

27A736DD-6985-4010-95F7-A0EEFB304312.jpeg

• Like 1

New crossover has been built with the same nominal of all parts as original one. Already installed into one speaker. The most significant changes in sound in mid range, especially vocal. When two speakers play together old one takes all attention, like it sounds louder. But new one plays definitely cleaner, the best word is - less colorization. My first impression - new parts in crossover make sound more balanced. I was looking for more highs in a beginning, but now I have a feeling that mid was playing to bright and took all attention. I will finish second crossover soon and will see how stereo going to play.

655414113_HeresyII_elisei.s_1.jpg.c9cf059358afde8d29bd9266408f2994.jpg

1586700890_HeresyII_elisei.s_2.jpg.e92cd538d2c794af803702c271409d80.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2019 at 9:05 AM, Elisei.s said:

New crossover has been built with the same nominal of all parts as original one. Already installed into one speaker. The most significant changes in sound in mid range, especially vocal. When two speakers play together old one takes all attention, like it sounds louder. But new one plays definitely cleaner, the best word is - less colorization. My first impression - new parts in crossover make sound more balanced. I was looking for more highs in a beginning, but now I have a feeling that mid was playing to bright and took all attention. I will finish second crossover soon and will see how stereo going to play.

655414113_HeresyII_elisei.s_1.jpg.c9cf059358afde8d29bd9266408f2994.jpg

1586700890_HeresyII_elisei.s_2.jpg.e92cd538d2c794af803702c271409d80.jpg

Did you build these yourself?