Heresy troubleshooting

donmark

@M_Klipsch the first thing my wife said we I got home was Wow they are ugly. The second thing: they are big!

I am sure the black matt paint wasn’t helping either. 

Well the sanding is going fine, and the walnut veneer is in pretty good shape. 

Just a bit of patina. it gives the speakers a bit of personality.

am working in the garage/paint studio so the house is safe. And am wearing a dust mask.

The veneer is pretty dull now, but am planning on using some oil and lacquer as a finishing touch.

Haven't made up my mind on what oil to use though.

I want the texture of the walnut to really pop, and don't mind it the veneer gets darkened a bit.

Did also the leak test and sealed the inside while at it.. fixed a couple of gaps here and there.

The caps were not the only thing in the shopping cart. There is some Damping egg crate foam to, Super Heresy style.

when the caps get here I’ll get to work on the crossovers.

@MC39693 thanks, I like it here!

have been browsing the Crites site, and am well aware of Claude's work on the Heresy. Amazing effort.

I really wan to focus on getting the speakers up and running with minimal changes, and then venture down the upgrade path.

I will make a new back panel and install better terminal cups. this way I am "port ready" as I don't want to cut in the original back piece.

speaker03.jpg

speaker04.jpg

Edited by donmark
add details
  • Like 3

Dr. Bill's (not me) recipe': 

*remember fire hazard* BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) heats up as it dries so any rags and whatnot should be thoroughly washed with water and soap and disposed of safely...preferrably outside...

the Drs. recipe' IIRC: 3 parts Gum Turpentine to 1 part BLO...I found mine at Home Depot but should be able to find anywhere...good luck but wanted to share...Do only in a well ventilated area...

Bill

1 minute ago, silversport said:

*remember fire hazard* BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) heats up as it dries so any rags and whatnot should be thoroughly washed with water and soap and disposed of safely...preferrably outside...

the Drs. recipe' IIRC: 3 parts Gum Turpentine to 1 part BLO...I found mine at Home Depot but should be able to find anywhere...good luck but wanted to share...Do only in a well ventilated area...

Bill

Thanks for the advice.

but 3 to 1 in favour of Turpentine...isn't that a lot? I was thinking more 1 to 1 and apply many thin layers.

The garage is my painting studio as well, so I have a lot of materials that need special attention.

and to every one else, thanks for sharing the crossover schematics. Did a print out of all and am comparing notes on them.

I kind of like the patina you are starting with!  I had some old Adirondack chairs with green stain that had weathered quite a bit and the finish was completely gone in places.  I simply sanded them lightly and gave them a bunch of coats of spar varnish or maybe it was poly... don't recall now.  The look was great!  They had that weathered patina but were now protected from the elements.  (not suggesting varnish or poly for your speakers)

“ the first thing my wife said we I got home was Wow they are ugly. The second thing: they are big!”

Almost word for word what my wife said about my LaScalas, after she helped me move them in and saw them unpacked. 

Those look really good, I do like the “patina”. I’ve always regretted what I did do my first H1s after I got the paint off. I stained & polyeurethaned them. Which has held up well, and should last forever. However, I wish I’d just done a tung oil varnish on them. It really brought out the beauty of my La Scalas which are LS-BR. Even she doesn’t hate them, quite as much as she did that first day. 

But.... Heresy speakers aren't really big. That's what happened after Bose and other companies started rewriting the laws of physics.

Those look great and some BLO or Tung oil will look great on those.

Bruce

• Like 1

The work week got in the way. Very little progress. Just a bit of sanding. 

a before and after shot

01B97C6A-EDCA-4C88-BA8A-B4771935EB88.thumb.jpeg.5b73ada2d7cde81d704d703c6bf5fe6b.jpeg

443E0FF1-EFB9-4009-9E37-6B338C25A764.jpeg

I wonder if this thread should be moved in the tech and mods forum.  

and yeah the speakers are not THAT big,

I agree. It’s just as you guys say, nowdays a speaker the size of a soda can do it all.....right?

Edited by donmark

I think those will look just fine with some of the black in the grain. I have some H IIs that my older son gave me  and they are black. With black grills they tend to disappear in the room, but I've really thought about stripping off the paint or picking a veneer for them. I'm just too busy. Can't wait to see yours once they are finished.

Bruce

• Moderators
On 3/17/2019 at 11:17 AM, silversport said:

Bill

Great advice, it is very true that it can combust just from drying and heating, no spark needed. I tend to just set them outside and light them when I know it's burning rather than be surprised.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:35 PM, Marvel said:

The more turp., the deeper penetration and more protection with the first couple of applications.

Bruce

Exactly, with Marine spar varnish the first few coats should be 3 to 1 also, building up to straight Varnish or BLO in your case  for exactly the reason stated, it brings the first few coats deep into the wood and protects much more as the Terpitine evaporates. I used mineral spirits with the Varnish but it does the same thing.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, donmark said:

The work week got in the way. Very little progress. Just a bit of sanding. 

a before and after shot

Looking good. :emotion-21:

• Thanks 1