Out with the old, and in with the new.

Turbox

What are your room dimension, out of curiosity? I'm trying to visualize whether or not I could migrate to this type of setup in my studio, which is just under 16' wide. How hard was it to source the horns/drivers in Canada? I'm in Québec and imagine it's a little more complicated than our neighbours to the south. Maybe not. 

1 hour ago, dtel said:

How can you miss a 402?

No kidding. But I do remember in my first Digital Santa Picture Operation in a local mall 22 years ago, we made a 4 ft tall sign that read "EXIT." People would literally be standing next to that sign and ask the camera person "Is this the Entrance?" This would happen rarely, when there was no line other the other side to clue them in, but still!

• Haha 1

No not wild at all. I actually don't listen to loud music, very rarely. The older I get the more i enjoy a nice listening level. Movies are a different story. I dig a good movie, and my wife often says that's a little loud, we do have a 7 month old in the house so she might be right. lol.

I need to buy a couple more amps on for my centre channel and one for the 1802.  the 1802 isn't going anywhere, trust me. it took for strong guys to get that into the house. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Turbox said:

No not wild at all. I actually don't listen to loud music, very rarely. The older I get the more i enjoy a nice listening level.

Were exactly the same way, it's not about loud, it's about sounding big and clean.

But it is nice to know it's no problem for the occasional rattle the house times. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

Were exactly the same way, it's not about loud, it's about sounding big and clean.

But it is nice to know it's no problem for the occasional rattle the house times. 

Been enjoying "big and clean" in one form or another since I was 19 and built my "Super Altecs" and "CornScala" center in the mid 70's. Soon replaced by Khorns and a LaScala (Birch sanded & tung oiled by me) as soon as I got married and my wife co-signed for the bank loan to buy them and establish my own credit (Khorns were a lot of money to a youngster, believe me).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtel said:

And that is what many don't understand about the big pro gear. Outstanding at any level and like many I find myself listening to these at lower levels than I used to with La Scalas for instance. The definition is so amazing you want to hear all these things that tend to get drowned out with the volume knob or smaller boxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Turbox said:

The problem for most is space and WAF for the pro gear. But it is certainly next level. I've had them all, from Heresy's to Belles and everything in between. The MWM's are something amazing. 

What's better is when the wife picks out the pro gear because she likes the way it sounds and looks, and the room just happens to be big enough. :emotion-19:

We were actually looking for our last pair of speakers after adding on a living room 24' wide and 18' deep and open 16' more behind the depth. We even put the rear wall windows away from the corners thinking it was going to be khorns. We went to Indy and Hope listening to Khorns and every single room sounded completely different and we went home confused.

We didn't know what we were going to do and a few months later we got to hear MWM's and a 402 horn, within 2 minutes my wife and daughter said: " That's what we want! ". 

I can't lie about this, Claude was standing next to my wife, he heard it all.

:emotion-21: I didn't put up too much of a fight, have to keep the wife happy and all.  I looked like this....:o:D:emotion-19:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dtel said:

within 2 minutes my wife and daughter said: " That's what we want! ". 

God bless the great women in our lives!  Mine ain't so much into audio, but she makes sure I don't miss a hot chick changing tops at a biker rally!

• Haha 2

• Moderators
On 3/19/2019 at 6:34 AM, glens said:

God bless the great women in our lives!  Mine ain't so much into audio, but she makes sure I don't miss a hot chick changing tops at a biker rally!

Well that's nice of her, can't have everything. 

Mine is not really into audio parts as a hobby, but she does love music and knows when it sounds like crap. 

I need to hear more thoughts and impressions on fidelity with music since making the switch. I have the exact same speakers and I've been contemplating the switch from the 535  3 way Jubilee to the mwms for  a while now. The only thing holding me back was my loft which is not a large room, however I am in the process of selling my home and I definitely want a larger loft in the next home so the switch from jubes to mwm's might be finally possible for me this year.