Type A Rebuild Input Needed

Drugolf

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, first one done.....I think.  Still need to tie down the tweeter inductor when I find the thingy for it.  Used Deang's AA roadmap thread in general.  Didn't want to spend teh crazt money though on the 13uF cap, at least for now.  If anything looks odd, let me know.

1213190833.jpg

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Looking good.

Just use some silicone adhesive to hold the coil down. 

That's going to sound very good (you'll hear what I tell you to hear :)

Shall do on the silicone.  Now to find one more of those.

I'm looking forward to it for sure.  Unfortunately I didn't have a before listen.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Drugolf said:

Hey!  Just a dumb question.  My woofers are are 4 ohm. tweeters 8 ohm and mids 16ohm.  Any adjustments needed to the AA to account for this? Or is this the standard configuration for the AA?

Loks correct.  Woofers are 4 ohms per this post.

On 3/17/2019 at 6:25 AM, JohnA said:

K-33s are also 4 ohms, so no difference there. 

Your SKs will sound better is you use a quasi Type AA.  The AA has eq for the tweeter and I dont know it your tweeter needs any, so I'd recommend crossing the tweeter at 4500 with a 3rd order Butterworth and putting at least a 1st order band pass on the PD-5 (400 to 4500 Hz) to reduce its 9 kHz response "bounce".  The Type A woofer inductor is fine, but a larger gauge inductor could be better.  Also try it with no woofer inductor. 

The higher order tweeter high-pass will make a minor improvement in time/phase alignment. 

@Drugolf I've watched the rebuild thread on these over at AK.  Your cabinet guy has done some really fine work with those.  It might not be too late to make those a "collared top" like the Klipschorn "B" version if you like the "neck" between them.

Not my pic but what it looks like.

image.png.2a8e826513db1a3bd12080da921a4a07.png

• Like 1

You know, I believe that's the first I've seen the tweeter initial cap shown wired ahead of the mid cap.  I've wondered about that since when it immediately follows the mid cap it would be an effective 1.7 uF instead of 2 and wondered whether that was on purpose or not...

On 1/18/2020 at 3:16 PM, Deang said:

If someone would ask a straightforward question, I would be happy to deliver a straightforward answer. 

Right?

As I did above all I want to know is since the tweeters are 8 ohm, mids 16 and the woofer 4 ohm, is there any issue with the crossover as I've built it?

And maybe some idea on why these all are different if this is by design on various KHorn models.