Dayton Audio DSP-408 ... digital signal processor

Emile

Has anyone bought/used this Dayton Audio DSP-408? See https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwJu3pN2E4QIVkoRpCh04Rg2CEAAYASAAEgJwqPD_BwE . Looks interesting :) 

Main reason for asking ... currently have a miniDSP 2x4 (NOT the HD version). But my preamp puts out max 20V and this miniDSP is only good for a 2V input (i.e. clipping when I turn my preamp past 10 o"clock ... yes; know I could use an attenuator). The Dayton DSP has "high voltage" inputs, but not sure what that means :(  But, output is only 0.9V (edited ... 0.9V is the output of the miniDSP) ... like to have more for my pro amps. Also not sure if it integrates as easily with REW as the miniDSP.

Thanks a lot, Emile

Stock photo

Picture 2 of 7

I guess I didn't make proper sense of you post.  The construction of your words implies the Dayton put out only 0.9 volts.

So I followed the link now, fetched the user manual, searched for "high" and surmise that the high-level inputs are for amplifier outputs as opposed to "low-level" (pre-amp) outputs.  It might work for you, but it might not.

JBL 18" drivers ought to be sufficiently efficient.  If you're not getting adequate volume out of them then I think it would be prudent to look into what's between the drivers and the amplifier to see what might be amiss.

[edit: add that the manual states the 'high-level' inputs have an impedance of 180 ohms.  This likely isn't enough for the output of your pre-amp ]

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, glens said:

I guess I didn't make proper sense of you post.  The construction of your words implies the Dayton only put out 0.9 volts.

Yes; sorry ... edited the post :) 

Was trying to drive the JBL's (SR4718A; 4 ohms, 98dB; 30-3300Hz) with a Marantz 1060 (30Wpc; not sure if more watts at 4 ohms) and just did not get much volume out of them :(  OK ... haha; ordered a Crown XLS 2502 (775wpc at 4 ohms) :) That should do it :D  And I can set the crossovers with it. But still would like to control the HF side (K-510/K-691's). Maybe I can use the miniDSP, maybe not :( 

Cheers, Emile

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Start a bidding war!

YEAH! Do I hear $26? :D 

Actually, if I do sell them they will come with K-691 drivers :)  Tried them with Forte's, but the Forte's just were outmatched by these horns. So; trying them with 18" JBL bass-bins ... but don't have enough power ... new amp coming next week :D