System Calibration

badbob

When I calibrate my HT system using Video Essentials all 'suggested' measurements/readings with the SPL meter are at 75db. What is so magical about 75db? Does 75db's equal 'reference level'?

At 75db's my sytem (KLF-20's/C7/RCR-5's/SVS 25-31PCi) is too damn loud! I don't even listen to music at that volume.

Thanks in advance

ROCK ON!

BB - Actually, reference level permits DD to run to 105db. However, since that is too loud for anyone to calibrate their systems to, the makers of the VE disk record their test tones at 30db down from reference, which equals 75db. (Avia runs theirs at -20db, or 85db.)

If you calibrate your system to 75db, make a note of where your main volume setting is on your preamp/receiver. Then, when watching a DD DVD, you can set the volume to that level and know that you are hearing it at "reference level (up to 105db)," if you can stand it.

Re your comment that you can't listen at 75db...if you mean you are playing a DVD with the volume knob turned to where it was when you calibrated to 75db using the VE disk, you are actually hearing up to 105db peaks. Yes, that's incredibly loud. However, if the actual volume of what you are listening to is 75db on the meter, that doesn't seem terribly loud to these old ears of mine.

You can actually calibrate your speakers using ANY volume level you want. The point of calibration is really to make sure they are all playing at the same volume at your listening position given the same input signal level. By calibrating it to 75db (with VE), though, you also have the benefit of knowing how to set your volume for reference levels, when you want to show off your system to your relatives at the holidaze.

Doug

Re your comment that you can't listen at 75db...if you mean you are playing a DVD with the volume knob turned to where it was when you calibrated to 75db using the VE disk, you are actually hearing up to 105db peaks. Yes, that's incredibly loud. However, if the actual volume of what you are listening to is 75db on the meter, that doesn't seem terribly loud to these old ears of mine."

DOH!! 6.gif You know, sometimes things make a lot more sense when you read it for yourself! THANKS DD!

ROCK ON!