Black LaScalas considering.

Mh3pworth

Hi all, 

I'm chasing after a pair of lascalas I found online. :)   I am going to check them out later this week.

I was wondering if anyone can conclude any useful information about the speakers from the limited photos.

Also wondering what a fair price would be for the pair assuming they are 100% functional. 

Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.png.848077da9ce5b91e5f0c9d6ab4ff49ac.pngimage.png.694db0eb458cdde1d6f8565ff74d35f4.pngimage.thumb.png.35cb2aad4726b05e796ea1fea8bf4541.png

16 minutes ago, Mh3pworth said:

Hi all, 

I'm chasing after a pair of lascalas I found online. :)   I am going to check them out later this week.

I was wondering if anyone can conclude any useful information about the speakers from the limited photos.

Also wondering what a fair price would be for the pair assuming they are 100% functional. 

Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.png.848077da9ce5b91e5f0c9d6ab4ff49ac.pngimage.png.694db0eb458cdde1d6f8565ff74d35f4.pngimage.thumb.png.35cb2aad4726b05e796ea1fea8bf4541.png

I messaged this guy weeks ago before he ever posted pictures. In fact I made him take the crossover picture there. The guy was a little out there, and very uninformative. I’m not sure how he aquired them. He had no idea about the framing in the one picture. They’re going to need a fair amount of work.

His asking price isn’t too bad considering some I’ve seen. I decided to pass because I’ve got enough projects at the moment. Personally I think my max would be $700. They’ve been painted (poorly) How are your wood working skills?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, W27 said:

In fact I made him take the crossover picture there.

I question the XO as well on those LSI.  Those are the fuzziest pics a person could possibly take.

Those are really rough IMO and I would not trust all the drivers work.

You might go for $700 but I see a very extensive and time intensive rehab here.  I wouldn't offer more than $500 MAX and $300 sounds better.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I'll let you know if I end up picking them up but sounding more and more like they probably aren't worth the effort.

Or a serious price cut for the seller.

Out of curiosity which XOs are to be avoided? Which are the most sought after?

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I question the XO as well on those LSI.  Those are the fuzziest pics a person could possibly take.

Those are really rough IMO and I would not trust all the drivers work.

You might go for $700 but I see a very extensive and time intensive rehab here.  I wouldn't offer more than $500 MAX and $300 sounds better.

These are in a big city where Lascalas are rare and usually get top dollar. When they do come up asking prices are usually a bit ridiculous 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mh3pworth said:

Thanks for the responses guys!

I'll let you know if I end up picking them up but sounding more and more like they probably aren't worth the effort.

Or a serious price cut for the seller.

Out of curiosity which XOs are to be avoided? Which are the most sought after?

Those have been posted. In the alerts before..

if I remember correctly... They are in Vermont or conn... Area

One bass bin is vertically.. The other is horizontal

Or maybe I'm wrong.. It's strong island... Screw the throgs neck bridge

https://longisland.craigslist.org/ele/d/woodmere-klipsch-la-scala/6827214574.html

AFAIK, La Scalas only come in one style, vertical, other than one or two horizontal prototypes that never went into production.  The Craigslist ad shows more photos, so the speakers seem to be about the same style and vintage, late 1970s.  It's odd that only one of the two speakers has the added bracing, and it's not the most logical design, like some ill-considered way to attach a grille, rather than any attempted sonic improvement.

Maybe I'm overly suspicious, but why are they shown in a van, and not in the seller's home?  Did he obtain them just to flip them, without ever bringing them into his home?  The fact that he seems to know very little about these speakers that he's selling is a red flag for me.  As well, his Craigslist ad mentions a large number of high-quality pieces of audio gear for sale, so he may be a small-scale buyer and seller of expensive gear.  Or maybe just a seller...