The MicroZOTL MZ3 is a one-watt Speaker Amp!

MeloManiac

On 3/21/2019 at 1:36 PM, erik2A3 said:

There was one point in my life, maybe fifteen years or so ago, where I had the idea to start just such a small business.  The idea I had, which I got from taking my college students to scrap metal yards to find materials for sculpture, was to find old, even somewhat rusty and or dented enclosures and containers of different kinds in order to turn them into tube amplifiers.  Once cleaned and machines for hardware, tube sockets, input and output jacks, etc., etc., I was going to finish them with clear automotive lacquer in order to preserve their rustic looks under a glossy protective top coat.  I think my idea was more to prove the point that what the component looks has essentially zero to do with how it sounds.  Cosmetics are important to me in the sense that I am obsessive about good workmanship and quality soldering and wire dressing etc., but have never been impressed with the inclusion of things like soft blue LEDs built into components strictly for visual effect.  The glow of tube filaments is quite satisfactory in that respect.

This reminds me of Taylor Guitars... while the stories behind the building a specific guitar have been told (and told again in the link), Bob Taylor made a good point about building guitars, and it could apply to almost any craft. Even when a lot of power tools and machines are involved. He had his crew make a guitar out of wood from a pallet and some 2x4s.. scrap wood. The guitar sounded good, which was his point. It is the builder, the craftsman who makes it good/great, not necessarily the parts or components.

Bruce

http://www.guitaradventures.com/taylor-pallet-guitar-story

Taylor-Shop-Pallet-Guitar-Top.jpg

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

This reminds me of Taylor Guitars... while the stories behind the building a specific guitar have been told (and told again in the link), Bob Taylor made a good point about building guitars, and it could apply to almost any craft. Even when a lot of power tools and machines are involved. He had his crew make a guitar out of wood from a pallet and some 2x4s.. scrap wood. The guitar sounded good, which was his point. It is the builder, the craftsman who makes it good/great, not necessarily the parts or components.

What a great piece of writing.  Absolutely, and thank you for the link - I've got to check it out!  I remember when we were all (on this forum) talking about this bunches of years ago, and I was trying very hard to make the point that an expensive part or brand of part is NOT going to make an already compromised design better.  In fact, it (the part or parts) might even make it worse.  Thanks for the picture of the beautiful guitar.

• 1 month later...

10 years in the hobby and $150,000 poorer.  My "dealers" have dazzled me with their $300K systems and one or two were shockingly good.  I picked up the MicroZotl M2S, hooked it up to my 102 db Lamhorn with REPS-1 drivers and a TBI sub using the pre-out and at normal volumes it pushes out the most realistic and alive music I've heard yet.  I've had 'em all, it's better. 

It's funner to listen than to music than wonder how things sound or if they're "worth it", otherwise you're just eating the menu.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I’ve demoed the MZ2 amp at Tektonics Design in Richmond Va.  It’s less costlier than the MZ3 (retails for 1235.00).  The primary function(s) of the LTA MZ2 & MZ3 are HP amp & preamp.  These amps have the option/capacity to drive highly efficient speakers for near field listening (Klispch, Omega’s, Zu Audio).  It’s not designed to pair with inefficient speakers.  It states so in the equipment literature.  

These amps encompass David Berning’s patented ZOTL design & the chassis for the MZ3 is built by Fern & Roby (Tektonics Design Group).  The materials that are utilized to build/design furniture & stereo equipment are of heirloom quality...& harken back to the days of the old. They use solid wood & heavy gauged metals (brass) in their shop.  I saw it with my own eyes during my aforementioned visit to the Tektonics Design shop location.  The owner was nice enough to give me & my family a tour (on Saturday when they were closed).  I decided to purchase the MZ3 after hearing the less costlier MZ2.  The sound quality is impeccable & the unit is astonishingly dead quiet; adding a inkiness to the overall sound signature.  

I have a solid state amp (Krell), a desktop amp (Naim), a transportable tube amp (Woo Audio).  I understand the expense of this hobby.  And if you’re in the hobby I’m certain you can attest to the varied scale of costs as well.

The LTA line of amps appear to be priced according to the patented design of the ZOTL tech, the high quality grade chassis build by Tektonics, & there’s likely an undisclosed profit margin built in for labor & the return investment expected on goods sold.  This is not uncommon in any free enterprise system where goods are sold based on supply/demand.  You cannot assume foul play around cost without evidence to support that position.

My intent here isn’t to scold or scoff at those who think these amps are overpriced.  To each his own & caveat emptor applies on any purchase.  I’ve found there isn’t much ad or marketing fan fare or hype around the LTA amps.  I imagine they sell word of mouth stemming from audio trade shows to a select group of folks who have interest in what they offer to your particular set up.

I wanted to ensure that there’s balanced opinion here for those who may view this location while seeking information on the LTA amps.  It’s also important to understand how the MZ2 & MZ3 are designed & what purpose each model serves.  It may not be ideal for your set up if you don’t have highly efficient speakers & intend to max out that single feature. I intend to use it as a preamp/HP amp in a desktop set up.  So I have less concern over speaker pairing.  For example...I can purchase Omega’s Super 3 High Output speakers at a later date (if proven to be a good match).

I can say first hand it’s worth a serious pause if you’re seeking the subjectively ‘best’ in audio HP equipment that offers a high level of sound quality through which to enjoy your love of music on.

Edited by TWINSKI
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

For the most part I am not  concerned with the technology that reproduces the music that I listen to as long as it is well made, reliable and sounds good to me. I own a Linear Tube Audio MZ2S and use it as a preamp and as preamp it is the best sounding piece of gear I have ever owned. I use it with a Bryston 2.5BSST2 amplifier to drive a pair of Chorus II. I also own and use a Quicksilver Audio tube integrated amplifier and that is driving a pair of Bryston Mini T speakers in another system in a small room. So there you have it, I own ZOTL, solid state, tube, horns and dynamic speakers. As an integrated amplifier the MZ2S .75wpc into 8 ohms isn't enough for the Chorus II and at anything but low to moderate levels the Chorus II sound a bit constrained. However, driving a pair of Heresy II to moderate and slightly loud levels, MZ2S sounds very, very good. It comes down to system matching,  the room, and personal taste. Before dissing a design topology  I suggest you listen to it first.

It's good that you are happy with your system. That does not however negate Jeffery's comments.

3 hours ago, veloceleste said:

Perhaps Jeffery hasn't researched ZOTL design. While OTL, it is a different implementation. 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/551c5a82e4b0c1e6d1556b74/t/554d0ae7e4b09cd39ca4ac18/1431112423789/Berning+Patent.pdf

Jeffery is telling you a fact and you can dislike it all you want but that changes nothing. Do some research and find out for yourself. This all takes nothing away from what you like only that someone is telling you that things could be better so why do you seem to be taking it personally as a dis on you or your amp?

I own an ultra low distortion amplifier with the worlds lowest noise level at a calculate level minus 139db nothing even comes close. You would think everyone would want one of those but no. Their loss not mine. I don't need to ever buy another amp I will die happy with this one thanks.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I have a question for you .  Why all this discussion on OTL amps??

In audio, it is generally agreed upon, that of the three ways of coupling a signal, they range, from worst-sounding to best-sounding, as follows :

Capacitor coupling

Transformer coupling 

Direct coupling.

"OTL" stands for " Output Transformer Less  ". 

In the case of every OTL amp schematic I seen, the amp couples to the speaker through NOT an Output Transformer, and NOT directly from the Finals tubes, but through a big capacitor, in place of the Output Transformer. 

Given the goodness-pecking-order, at the top of this post,  why would anyone pursue "OTL" topology, and couple to the speaker through a capacitor, .....which is the worst-sounding coupling choice of all  three ????

We maybe should more accurately be calling these amps, not OTLs, nor " DCLs ", but rather,  " CC " amps,  as in " Capacitor Coupled  ".

Jeffrey Medwin

Let me get this straight. It's not OK to have a Capacitor in series with the final output connector in an amplifier assembly, because it sounds terrible,  but if it's series with a loudspeaker, in a crossover assembly, which is the same signal path (with wire gauge big enough to jump start a locomotive), it now has totally "superlative" sound according to your prior posts about your Altecs? What a load of Bovine Sediment! It's a total contradiction and a waste of time.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 4:03 PM, veloceleste said:

LTA is located  close to Baltimore and Washington DC. They have a showroom. My friend and I made an appointment. He wanted to listen to one of their amps and I wanted to hear Spatial Audio speakers they had on display. The LTA guys were very accommodating, knowledgable, and  friendly. LTA  offers a trial/return period if you are interested in their equipment. I think it is a little pricey too and other than saying I was listening in an unfamiliar place, it sounded good. Pure speculation on my part, but maybe they have to pay a licensing fee to Berning which accounts for some of the higher cost. Also hand built in the U.S. does cost more....

I think Spatial Audio loudspeakers are an absolute STEAL  at around $2,000 and were in the top 3 best sounding loudspeakers at Axpona. Their Open Baffle design is very good, but like all OB speakers, you gotta keep them out of corners, which is the antithesis to Klipsch. But the 3D imaging, like most OB speakers, it nothing short of wonderful in the right room and listerning position.

9 hours ago, veloceleste said:

I don't care if if people like or don't like what I own. Only I have to like it. It seems though that his statement is a blanket condemnation of a design. 

his statement is one of fact. you can like what ever you want to but facts should not be allowed to belittle what you own? being happy with what you have is a wonderful thing, learning that there is a better way is wonderful too. you don't have to leave what you have, no one can diminish the satisfaction you have with your gear so why when someone says there is a better way do you find it necessary to turn that into a condemnation?

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/12/2019 at 4:58 AM, veloceleste said:

I don't care if if people like or don't like what I own. Only I have to like it. It seems though that his statement is a blanket condemnation of a design. 

Jeffery can be over blown and undiplomatic at times. He is the first one to admits he tunes and selects components by ear, to his taste.

I notice he is the same way with vacuum cleaners, but a supper heavy one filled with water isn't for everyone.

Obviously what works for him may not work for anyone else (ymmv).

Travis

42 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Unfortunately, you don't have it straight and so, your written critique is unfair to  me, as it is not fully correct.  

I only run a two way system, and my woofer now plays full range, ( NO crossover parts on it at all - response out to 1.5 to 2 K ). The 15 inch woofer ( 515B ) is front-radiating and partially front-horn loaded.   

There is however, a uniquely implemented cap used on my 802D compression tweeter, to roll off low-frequency energy, so as not to blow it.

BTW, I am intrigued by the Synergy design of Danley that you use.  Very good choice I bet !! 

I built a very good loudspeaker our of Altec Components when I was a teenager in the 70's. $1,000 in raw components was a fortune back then, especially to a youngster like I was. I'm no stranger to VOT cabinets and the horn portion of those boxes is excellent, as well as the A4/210 cab. I had 4 of the 500 Hz. Altec horns with 802 and 808 drivers. I also wound my own coils and used very good capacitors (low ESR) for them as well. Even into the 1970's, these were available new and now taken over by Great Plains Audio. So I'm no stranger to Altec sound with modifications. I also had big JBL stuff and spent time with Don Keele when I lived in Indiana, so I'm no stranger to all this stuff, it's history, and modern application thereof for home.

I just fail to see where, in the low source impedance signal path, the having a capacitor in series in an amplifier box is any different than having one in series in a crossover box, both being in the same signal path, ahead of the loudspeaker. I was speaking of PRINCIPLES and using your particular quote as a springboard for my comment. Which one "sounds better" without corroborating measurments, or going through a NULL TEST, with a signal, is just another OPINION. Nothing more.

Yes the Danley stuff blows away all other past horn designs on all levels AND they do so at about 1/3 the total cubic feet of space. When that is not a consideration, then I would say the Jubilees in a 2 or 3 way configuration are approximately their equal in cost and performance in the right room.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Marvel said:

Bruce

http://www.guitaradventures.com/taylor-pallet-guitar-story

A friend of mine works for that company and does all the photography for their brochures, which are also first class. They are a true competitor to Martin guitars, who have been an industry benchmark for decades. Much like Paul Reed Smith is a competitor to Gibson and Fender.