How to Re-Veneer curved surfaces

OK, I bought a pair of B&W 805s in black ash.  They are in great condition, not scratches or dents, but I hate black ash. 

I can sand them down and stain them or re-veneer them. 

Here is the issue with r-veneering them.  The sides are one big curve, but continuous and only curved in one direction.  This may be tricky, but not impossible.

The top is curved, but curved in two directions.  Here is a picture from the internets to give you an idea (not my speakers).  Curved side to side and front to back on the tops. 

Can this be done without driving myself crazy?  I'd like to use an exotic veneer like burl. 

image.thumb.png.acdf54a92e349f36cad7eaf74694d72b.png

The wrap around sides probably be reasonably easy. The top... wow... to do at home I don't know. They may have had a press with a male/female section and steamed the veneer in the press. Then did the same to glue to the top of the cabinet. I'm just imagining how they did it...

Bruce

• Moderators

I think you can do it, it is usually very thin and not too hard to bend. Have patience and maby do the sides first to have an idea they look like just a curve, the top is more of a compound curve bending 2 directions. I have bent the little 1" edge banding around some pretty sharp curves with just a little heat. I know that's different but a little similar.

IPad pic but just for an idea, I would try it.  

image.jpeg

It may be that the black is lacquer.  If it is typical stuff it might very well soften and dissolve with nail polish remover (acetone type).  Try an inconspicuous spot with with a wad of paper towel or a cotton ball wet with the nail polish remover (or acetone from HD).  If that works you can remove all the drivers, anything plastic, etc. and scrub it with a buff puff wet with the nail polish remover / acetone.

Acetone and any chemical stripper might attack the glue but I'm not certain.

WMcD

• Like 1