Backs on Klipschorns?

scott0527

Was it really that easy? the new Khorns have backs which allows non-tight corner placement. And I currently see 2 pair of Khorns on eBay with backs added to them.  I've been absent for about 8-9 years but I never recalled people saying you could put backs on the Khorns for more flexible placement. There was always a lot of talk of "false wall" building  but I don't recall anybody EVER mentioning you could close in the backs to give you more flexibility in corner placement. Is this a new phenomenon? I'm in the market for a pair and was considering ordering a new pair from Klipsch. But I also see a couple of nice used pairs on eBay with modified backs on them.  I don't recall ever seeing that back in the 90's and 2000's. 

• Like 2

Maybe Roy can comment on the new Klipschorns and how they handle loading when not flush in a corner. 

Even with a back the new ones shoukd load the bass best when flush in the corner. How much will depend on the placement. 

Adding back panels to older models may not be the same as the new models. I suspect there is more to it than screwing some plywood to the back. 

• Like 1

It's a compromise you won't get full extension of the horn without them being snug into corners it effects the bass in the 250Hz region or so.  I would not use them hovering in the middle of a room.  One of the main reason's I went back to La Scala's.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, garyrc said:

My question is, when they are away from the corner, do they measure just as good as the backless ones fully pushed into a corner, or almost as good, or just different, with different strong and weak points?

Exactly. I guess that's what I'm interested in. I have pretty decent corners but in one of them, I will not be able to get the flush tight seal I used to have my house when I had Klipschorns about 10 years ago. It's going to have to be about an inch away due to some stone work.  So now that I see people screwing wood on the backs of some older Klipschorns, I'm scratching my head and saying who-what-huh? Thanks for the comments, all. I would like to see what Roy might say about the new ones and if they measure any differently if they're tight sealed vs. a few inches away from a corner

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 6:27 PM, scott0527 said:

Was it really that easy? the new Khorns have backs which allows non-tight corner placement. And I currently see 2 pair of Khorns on eBay with backs added to them.  I've been absent for about 8-9 years but I never recalled people saying you could put backs on the Khorns for more flexible placement. There was always a lot of talk of "false wall" building  but I don't recall anybody EVER mentioning you could close in the backs to give you more flexibility in corner placement. Is this a new phenomenon? I'm in the market for a pair and was considering ordering a new pair from Klipsch. But I also see a couple of nice used pairs on eBay with modified backs on them.  I don't recall ever seeing that back in the 90's and 2000's. 

I got an owner information packet with my schorns an in there qoute "if the corner is irregular use flaps of rubber floor runner on tail board" then they show a picture attaching 5" flaps top to bottom on the tail board. Maybe this would help with irregular stonework.

On 3/18/2019 at 5:40 AM, Frzninvt said:

It's a compromise you won't get full extension of the horn without them being snug into corners it effects the bass in the 250Hz region or so.  I would not use them hovering in the middle of a room.  One of the main reason's I went back to La Scala's.

1 hour ago, Yuper said:

I got an owner information packet with my schorns an in there qoute "if the corner is irregular use flaps of rubber floor runner on tail board" then they show a picture attaching 5" flaps top to bottom on the tail board. Maybe this would help with irregular stonework.

46 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I use pipe insulation. The foam type - it is already split lengthwise. Just put it on the edges and push the khorn into the corner.

I use pipe insulation also, but in my old home I used the flaps of rubber floor runner.  With the foam, I pushed the Khorns into the corner as hard as I could, but my OCD has me wondering if the foam -- because of its porous nature -- fails to make an air tight seal.

Both sets of corners are regular & true 90 degrees in each direction, with very smooth plaster.  In the newer room, the one using foam pipe insulation, there is a 5 dB dip from about 210 Hz to 400 Hz.  I had no way to take meaningful measurements in the old room.  For me, it's really not an issue, because Audyssey fully corrects that portion of the spectrum, making it +/- 1 dB for that octave, according to REW/calibrated mic  tests.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

I use pipe insulation. The foam type - it is already split lengthwise. Just put it on the edges and push the khorn into the corner.

You should've used some of those colorful swimming "noodles".  ;)

On 3/17/2019 at 6:27 PM, scott0527 said:

GOOGLE:  Klipsch TSCM

1606721243_KlipschTSCM.jpg.0b4af1a48262efa5a61fb3325d3fc631.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Yuper said:

Kinda funny i like the sound of my belles better than my schorns but the room is only 12 × 17. The sound just "flows" better? However getting new schorns w/backs so we'll see but im thinking room is still too small.

Maybe it has to do with different Mid-Horn lens on the Belles or that the horizontal center-line of both the tweeter and the mid horn lens are lower to the floor, than on the K-horns???  Or a combination of the two?  These speakers have many other differences, also...bass horn designs, crossover networks, bottom-end extension, and a few more!

On 4/8/2019 at 9:18 AM, avguytx said:

You should've used some of those colorful swimming "noodles".  ;)

I did the split pipe insulation on my buddy's SKs.  I put rectangular insulation on the edges and then the split pipe insulation over that.  I also used a few triangular nips out of the split pipe to get it to go around corners.  It worked well.

WMcD

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Yuper said:

Kinda funny i like the sound of my belles better than my schorns but the room is only 12 × 17. The sound just "flows" better? However getting new schorns w/backs so we'll see but im thinking room is still too small.

schorns - what da hell

I have the 70th KHorns and they are in my rooms corners pretty tight and tucked in but not as tight as I could get them since I have my heating baseboards running along the bottom of the wall.

Thanks to the closed backs this was not an issue and the bass extension is simply awesome. It goes all the down to 35hz, It's articulate, tight, detailed and fast. Everything you want and nothing is missing or feels compromised.

A big reason why I went with the 70s since they only need to be in the vicinity of a corner and not perfectly wedged in like the original open back design KHorn.

I have seen the same type of modded older KHorns with the backs added on eBay like the OP said and have always wondered myself how they sound compared to a 70 or AK6.