Backs on Klipschorns?

scott0527

1 hour ago, Yuper said:

Yea there's a big difference from the hieght and placement. Belles sure are forgiving to placement for sure

PWK's intent was to have the entire cabinet less deep than that of the LaScala so that it could be closer to the wall when used as a center channel in a three-speaker stereo array...so that its mouth would be further back  with K-horns to either side in corners...it was DESIGNED to be a "golden mean" dimensional cabinet which would be less "in your face" as a center channel when listening to the three-speaker stereo array while sitting in the "sweet spot"...but its performance was to mimic the La Scala which he HAD BEEN USING as the center channel at his home....IOW a MUCH MORE HIGH WAF factor LaScala!  I really don't believe he anticipated them being popular as PAIRS...but he never saw that coming for the Heresy and Cornwall, either...and he eventually had to make them work better as primary speakers and pairs...which he did!  I'm quite sure his wife, Belle,was happy as Hello to see the LaScala leave the living room...when the first Belle was brought into the house to replace it!

The Belle is unique...even its PROPER nomenclature is UNIQUE...it is the ONLY Klipsch speaker that has "KLIPSCH" following it instead of leading it in the name!  The Belle Klipsch!

• Like 3

Yeah well i love em. For a small(er) room i think they're hard to beat. I thought about getting some 70th la scalas to match  my Khorns but im thinking i might do better with the belles. Eventually they will be in a Minimum 24 × 40 room with a12/12 roof but that is 2 years from now running a mac 6900 now but Will have tubes by then

6 minutes ago, Yuper said:

Yeah well i love em. For a small(er) room i think they're hard to beat. I thought about getting some 70th la scalas to match  my Khorns but im thinking i might do better with the belles. Eventually they will be in a Minimum 24 × 40 room with a12/12 roof but that is 2 years from now running a mac 6900 now but Will have tubes by then

DID you know that we installed a pair of Belles in the very first "Rolling Stone Mobile recording studio"?...as studio monitors...mounted upside down angling downwards from the ceiling??  They pulled up with two semi rigs beside the plant...joined the trailers together...and we mounted them inside of it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

DID you know that we installed a pair of Belles in the very first "Rolling Stone Mobile recording studio"?...as studio monitors...mounted upside down angling downwards at the ceiling?

5 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

DID you know that we installed a pair of Belles in the very first "Rolling Stone Mobile recording studio"?...as studio monitors...mounted upside down angling downwards at the ceiling??  THey pulled up with two semi rigs beside the plant...joined the trailers together...and we mounted them inside of it?

?  THey pulled up with two semi rigs beside the plant...joined the trailers together...and we mounted them inside 

So whats your background? Sounds like you might have been around the block

4 minutes ago, Yuper said:

So whats your background? Sounds like you might have been around the block

I worked at Klipsch from 1976-1983...building speakers...almost 7 and a half years....until I showed up on the forum in late 1990's, no other actual builder was ever here...engineers, and such were...but no former builders.  So I got asked lots of questions...still happens, too!  Since then a few other builders have been showing up on occasion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I worked at Klipsch from 1976-1983...building speakers...almost 7 and a half years....

Kinda funny bought my 70 khorns from a guy that worked at klipsch for a couple of years small world

1 minute ago, Yuper said:

So whats your opinion on crites vs. ? Not for my new speakers but older stuff

I have a good opinion of him and what he is trying to supply for those who cannot any longer get original replacement parts from the company...some people think he is getting rich...but that is not really the case...he sees a need and does his best to supply that need...he had a good DIFFERENT business going long before he started out doing the network board thing...and slowly added to what he saw as a need....I have nothing of his in my speakers...YET...but we are old friends now...known him for years!  He will NOT sell any garbage...you can rest easy on that account!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

PWK's intent was to have the entire cabinet less deep than that of the LaScala so that it could be closer to the wall when used as a center channel in a three-speaker stereo array...so that its mouth would be further back  with K-horns to either side in corners...it was DESIGNED to be a "golden mean" dimensional cabinet which would be less "in your face" as a center channel when listening to the three-speaker stereo array while sitting in the "sweet spot"...but its performance was to mimic the La Scala which he HAD BEEN USING as the center channel at his home....IOW a MUCH MORE HIGH WAF factor LaScala!  I really don't believe he anticipated them being popular as PAIRS...but he never saw that coming for the Heresy and Cornwall, either...and he eventually had to make them work better as primary speakers and pairs...which he did!  I'm quite sure his wife, Belle,was happy as Hello to see the LaScala leave the living room...when the first Belle was brought into the house to replace it!

The Belle is unique...even its PROPER nomenclature is UNIQUE...it is the ONLY Klipsch speaker that has "KLIPSCH" following it instead of leading it in the name!  The Belle Klipsch!

You are so awesome dude.  Sorry I missed you last weekend, was.looking forward to catching up.

Travis 

1 minute ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I have a good opinion of him and what he is trying to supply for those who cannot any longer get original replacement parts from the company...some people think he is getting rich...but that is not really the case...he sees a need and does his best to supply that need...he had a good DIFFERENT business going long before he started out doing the network board thing...and slowly added to what he saw as a need....I have nothing of his in my speakers...YET...but we are old friends now...known him for years!  He will NOT sell any garbage...you can rest easy on that account!

No i have some of his upgrades in my older khorns no complaints! And if he makes some money doing it america at its best! Also "Electric Mud" to you

18 minutes ago, Yuper said:

So whats your opinion on crites vs. ? Not for my new speakers but older stuff

Let me ask you, what are the alternatives that you see? Just interested…  Bob Crites is very focused on Klipsch. I don’t really know of any other vendor that is as closely focused as he is or, has the depth of knowledge that he has about parts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

You are so awesome dude.  Sorry I missed you last weekend, was.looking forward to catching up.

Travis 

My Awesomeness last week was actually being awesomely inebriated, awesomely full of great food, and awesomely making an awesome nuisance of myself in spreading the wealth of my awesome uselessness among the participants...LOL!  Spent the entire time being useless in various different locations...because that is what geriatric retirees DO BEST! 😉 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Let me ask you, what are the alternatives that you see? Just interested…  Bob Crites is very focused on Klipsch. I don’t really know of any other vendor that is as closely focused as he is or, has the depth of knowledge that he has about parts. 

Well there's volti but that seems double crites(or more). From what i was told crites wanted to supply parts to klipsch but? I can say in my 78 kcbb's the boards and tweets plus the M squawks made a clear difference

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

The Belle is IMO the most beautiful of all the Heritage speakers, rivalled only by the modern Palladium series which were magnificent looking. The return of the Forte seems to be successful and was a very good idea. Bringing back a modern Belle would be icing on the cake. They have a look that works with the decor of many homes, nailing down the all important WAF that helps drive sales.

7 minutes ago, Yuper said:

From what i was told crites wanted to supply parts to klipsch but?

That's really not an issue.  Bob Crites is what he is.  From every deal I have had with him, nothing but a nice guy and great service.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, YK Thom said:

The Belle is IMO the most beautiful of all the Heritage speakers, rivalled only by the modern Palladium series which were magnificent looking. The return of the Forte seems to be successful and was a very good idea. Bringing back a modern Belle would be icing on the cake. They have a look that works with the decor of many homes, nailing down the all important WAF that helps drive sales.

Personally , I think Klipsch has made a very good decision to hold off on the reintroduction of the Belle (if it ever really does happen...)  I can't imagine anything but minor cosmetic change, but perhaps a tweaking of the drivers and crossover would be in order.  I have a feeling that @Chief boneheadhas already given this at least some passing thought......

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Personally , I think Klipsch has made a very good decision to hold off on the reintroduction of the Belle (if it ever really does happen...)  I can't imagine anything but minor cosmetic change, but perhaps a tweaking of the drivers and crossover would be in order.  I have a feeling that @Chief boneheadhas already given this at least some passing thought......

Well...after all the work that went into the NEW LaScala, maybe bringing back the Belle as for "Center channel use ONLY" might be a good plan, but ONLY as a special-order item...here is WHY!... keep THIS IN MIND...the Belle was the least profitable speaker Klipsch ever designed...it actually required the total assembly labor time for building SIX K-horns (to include the labor time of the sub-assemblies!!) minimum, but had to be marketed UNDER the price of ONE K-horn...at times the company actually LOST money on each one sold!  There is a REASON that the current LaScala looks the way it does!  PWK never envisioned the possibility of the Belles being desired as PAIRS!!...when it went into production!  He knew all along that it would be for a center channel between two beautiful K-horns, but he figured...what the hell?  If they want them, we will build them, anyway!  The Belles were HANDS-DOWN the least profitable speaker the company EVER OFFERED!  Want to know something else??  They were LESS profitable than LB-76 would have been, too!...and the LB-76 never went into REGULAR production for the very same reason!  It would have had to command a LOWER PRICE than a LaScala, while costing as much or more than a LaScala to actually build!  Think about that for a few minutes!!

1 hour ago, YK Thom said:

Who knew? I guess that says it all.

I'm not saying it WON'T happen...just explaining WHY it probably will not happen...especially in the current "profit-margin-per-unit-sold" corporate world we live in today!  People who bought Belles generally didn't understand how good of a deal they were getting!!...at the price they paid!  As far as the PAIRS situation goes...the Current LaScala is the best bet...as for singles for center-channel use, the LaScala would also be the best bet...but the Belle would be more AESTHETICALLY pleasing to the eye...and its SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT attribute as a center channel between a pair of K-horns is actually its cabinet depth...it takes the center channel out of the "in your face" mode when listening in the "sweet spot".

It could actually be redesigned to make the cabinet assembly MUCH less labor-intensive...by just incorporating most of what has been done to the new LaScala into the design...and I am quite sure that Chief Bonehead saw that application possibility, and has some thoughts about the Belle.....BUT.....the one problem the Belle has is that it CANNOT be EXACTLY voiced to the K-horn due to a shorter mid-horn lens being required to achieve the same depth dimensions of the cabinet....so....

I FIRMLY BELIEVE that Chief Bonehead knew all of this when he re-designed the New LaScala...and in the back of his mind....a very large part of the of the decision matrix on what is NOW the K-horn AK6...was to solve the center-channel use of the LaScala previously being "more in your face" as a center-channel unit....by fully enclosing the bass horn of the K-horn...which allows the flanking K-horns to be further out of corners, thereby making the identically-voiced LaScala ACHIEVE the "less in your face" mode as a center channel unit between K-horns....which the Belle previously ACHIEVED!  Think about that for a few minutes!  ROY is a very smart guy!!!!  There are ALWAYS wheels turning in his skull, that many others would NOT even consider!

Now the door is wide-open....to MARKET a complete three-speaker stereo array...with two K-horns and one LaScala...ALL WITH MATCHING fine veneers!  BAM!!!

Y'all didn't SEE THAT COMING, didya???  I GUARANTEE YOU THAT ROY DID!!!😉  The PWK living room special!!!😂

15 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

...the Belle was the least profitable speaker Klipsch ever designed...it actually required the total assembly labor time for building SIX K-horns (to include the labor time of the sub-assemblies!!)

No offence intended, but I'm having a little trouble understanding that.  How much different is it than the LaScala behind the doghouse?