K-77-F tweeter on the way

Dave A

Working on this and since I don't think there are many out there with people wanting to replace them it will probably be special order. I don't have a precise hole size these fit into which is of interest by the way. Now since these are somewhat bigger than the K-77-M style the cavity is also bigger and these should be slightly better sounding than the K-77-M's. If there is additional clearance inside the cabinets it may be possible to use the DE10 also and not just the DE120. You can PM me regarding these.

K-77-F aluminum.JPG

K-77-F walnut.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Does anyone know if the K-77-D uses the same lens as the K-77-F

OK that question is answered. Thanks Panelhead.  So both of these use the same basic lens and have phenolic diaphragms as far as I can tell. What is the difference?

OK now I see this and it looks like the newest La Scalas have a version of a K-792 horn lens. So what is the progression here. K-77-M then K-77-F which is marked on the box of the tweeter I measured from. Then there is this as noted in the picture which is a what?  Panelhead measured a K-77-D and it measures the same as the K-77-F I have. Looking for a chronology of these with specs from K-77-M on

463870536_LSIIandTonyMartin.thumb.jpg.8781d894e4c78a5d1bbb693c437846c4.jpg

I believe that the only difference between the K77D and the K77F, is the D is front-mountable  with a big enough hole to get the magnet through from the front, and the K77F requires an adapter (which they gave me as part of the AK4 update).  I believe they have identical horn/lenses and identical performance. 

They sound great, IMO.

Here is a graph of K77s from somewhere, but I think it's a little worse than my F's (see below).  These are probably M's.  The red one is from a Khorn.  After 2002, they crossed over at 4.5K Hz, rather the old 6K Hz.  The 4.5K crossover had a 36 dB/octave slope to protect it.  I imagine the crossover was lowered to keep the glitch from sounding in the K55(?).  The same design was used by EV, then by University, crossing over at an even lower 3.5K, with only a 12 dB/octave slope.

image.png.db5338fdead2bfd4487bc80e3c90f55b.png

Here is one of my K77Fs, slightly off axis.  The divisions are 5 dB and the top data point on the graph is at 17K Hz.  It is flattish to 12.44 K Hz, and down about 4 dB at 17K.

image.png.7b93f1482aef645ad021e384e524ac67.png

3 hours ago, garyrc said:

I believe that the only difference between the K77D and the K77F, is the D is front-mountable  with a big enough hole to get the magnet through from the front, and the K77F requires an adapter (which they gave me as part of the AK4 update).  I believe they have identical horn/lenses and identical performance. 

They sound great, IMO.

Here is a graph of K77s from somewhere, but I think it's a little worse than my F's (see below).  These are probably M's.  The red one is from a Khorn.  After 2002, they crossed over at 4.5K Hz, rather the old 6K Hz.  The 4.5K crossover had a 36 dB/octave slope to protect it.  I imagine the crossover was lowered to keep the glitch from sounding in the K55(?).  The same design was used by EV, then by University, crossing over at an even lower 3.5K, with only a 12 dB/octave slope.

image.png.db5338fdead2bfd4487bc80e3c90f55b.png

Here is one of my K77Fs, slightly off axis.  The divisions are 5 dB and the top data point on the graph is at 17K Hz.  It is flattish to 12.44 K Hz, and down about 4 dB at 17K.

image.png.7b93f1482aef645ad021e384e524ac67.png

Gary if you zoom in on the La Scala above the horn lens is entirely different from the pair of K-77-F's I bought. It really reminds me of the K-792 tweeter with the Ti diaphragm. " K-77-D 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver" is a direct quote from the Klipsch brochure and this is the same description given to the horn lenses like K-79, K-76. Does not mean they have not changed the drivers and horns during production though and this is the problem I am having. To much incomplete info.

16 hours ago, brians7 said:

This is what I want and I can send you a K77-M to use and you can ship it back when I buy the first pair. Thanks Bian

Brian, if you want to see what the other tweeter lenses look like I have a pair at the house.

17 hours ago, brians7 said:

This is what I want and I can send you a K77-M to use and you can ship it back when I buy the first pair. Thanks Bian

Brian these K-77-M's are the very first ones I made and have been out there for months so not sure what you are asking now.

16 hours ago, Dave A said:

Gary if you zoom in on the La Scala above the horn lens is entirely different from the pair of K-77-F's I bought. It really reminds me of the K-792 tweeter with the Ti diaphragm. " K-77-D 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver" is a direct quote from the Klipsch brochure and this is the same description given to the horn lenses like K-79, K-76. Does not mean they have not changed the drivers and horns during production though and this is the problem I am having. To much incomplete info.

I assume that the one in the new La Scala is the one in the new Klipschorn.  Don't know the model or who makes it.  The new Klipschorn has been out -- what? -- a few months? 

10 hours ago, garyrc said:

I assume that the one in the new La Scala is the one in the new Klipschorn.  Don't know the model or who makes it.  The new Klipschorn has been out -- what? -- a few months? 

Not sure but it looks to be yet another variation on the tweeter.

Dave do you have any drivers that you would sell that work on your lens? I just want something to play with and maybe install in my H1’s Let me know. Thanks
PS your wood lens look great, I’m sure they sound even better, hopefully I’ll be able to buy a set sometime soon

44 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Dave do you have any drivers that you would sell that work on your lens? I just want something to play with and maybe install in my H1’s Let me know. Thanks
PS your wood lens look great, I’m sure they sound even better, hopefully I’ll be able to buy a set sometime soon

I have an agreement with B&C that I can only sell these with horn lens sales. I am not allowed to sell individual drivers unless it is provably from a past customer for the horn lenses. Sorry.

On 3/21/2019 at 4:42 AM, Dave A said:

Dave, here is the new Klipschorn  tweeter:

image.thumb.png.7a2ab43b0866d2c5ca301e064048a760.png

NEODYMIUM TWEETER

The Klipschorn features a neodymium tweeter with a 1” polyimide diaphragm and copper clad aluminum voice coil. This lightweight diaphragm assembly and high strength magnet structure creates the tweeter’s extremely high 109dB sensitivity and makes it the most efficient consumer tweeter in the market. When coupled to a 90° x 40° Tractrix® horn, the tweeter sets new levels of performance for dynamic range and output. The phase plug design extends high frequency performance to 20kHz, meaning you hear the most subtle high frequency details better than ever.

SEE:

• Like 1