La Scala prices?

Jeff-Kuczora

There are several improvements incorporated into the AL5. I doubt the 2,000.00 price increase per speaker is build cost related. Maybe a quarter of that at most. 

Building a 200 lb speaker in the US is expensive. Lot of labor intensive steps involved. In the crazy world that is audio today this is still a bargain. Many 15 pound stand mount two ways are in this price range. I cannot go to salons anymore. So disappointing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fmalloy said:

a TWO-THOUSAND DOLLAR price increase?!

Klipsch - SERIOUSLY?

You can get a pair of brand-new Heresy IIIs for the price increase alone.

And you guys here don't blink an eye?

Not many here are potential buyers. With the numbers being produced and amount of hand labor this price is not out of line. 

If there was a demand for a thousand a year the price might have stayed where it was for the AL-4.

33 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

Not many here are potential buyers. With the numbers being produced and amount of hand labor this price is not out of line. 

If there was a demand for a thousand a year the price might have stayed where it was for the AL-4.

Ok...I think I was not understanding this...so there is the La Scala II and the AL5. Somehow I thought there was only one modern La Scala, and they just took that model and raised the price by 2 grand...

Is the La Scala II remaining the same price? This is what I am considering, but I need to get the wife on board...there may need to be a diamond bracelet parallel purchase and a few glasses of wine...

• Like 1

There are options for lower prices on the AL-4. Contact Cory and he may be able to get you a pair of 2nd’s at a better price. With the AL-5 in production the remaining AL-4 should get priced to move. 

I think they are now building AL-5 only. They are still a La Scala ii. Tweeter, hi freq horn, crossover,  Audioquest Star Quad internal wiring, and 1” MDF used on the top hat are main changes from a AL-4. Weigh about 20 lbs more per speaker. 

There maybe other changes incorporated into the build.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:19 PM, fmalloy said:

Ok...I think I was not understanding this...so there is the La Scala II and the AL5. Somehow I thought there was only one modern La Scala, and they just took that model and raised the price by 2 grand...

Is the La Scala II remaining the same price? This is what I am considering, but I need to get the wife on board...there may need to be a diamond bracelet parallel purchase and a few glasses of wine...

well the tweeter is better w new x-over and internal wiring.....as to WAF-mine was totally cool...and make no mistake these things are BIG.....but the veneer is beautiful which helps with WAF....

20190326_185318.jpg

5 hours ago, Docreid said:

well the tweeter is better w new x-over and internal wiring.....as to WAF-mine was totally cool...and make no mistake these things are BIG.....but the veneer is beautiful which helps with WAF....

20190326_185318.jpg

Yours look amazing, you should post a bigger photo, this one is tiny...

As far as WAF, I have Heresy IIIs in Cherry, and she says they're "huge and ugly", so La Scalas are def out :( She says "Why can't you have those little white cube speakers on the wall like everyone else?"

It's sad when you have the cash but the wife is standing in the way...

• Sad 1

I was amazed that I received no pushback on these-I actually ordered them without telling her first. She's used to me changing components ("you said the last speakers were awesome though"). Its an expensive hobby to be sure, but its fun to hear different components. That said these are keepers- the La Scalas do everything I want in a speaker in a lively, "present" revealing way even at modest volume. The only thing I might change later is the receiver, but its working well, and updates itself by Ethernet so no issue at present. The last speakers were Focal Aria 948s- nothing intrinsically wrong with them, but the La Scalas just sound better to my ears- love dem horns. Besides the La Scalas have that cool retro feel to them....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 3/29/2019 at 3:19 PM, fmalloy said:

The AL-5 is newest model of LS.  Completely new tweeter driver and horn (modified Tractrix), obviously new network, reworked 

The price increase was to.$10,000.

There was one pair of Museum Editions made that Klipsch donated to the Museum that are currently for sale for $12,000.

There are a couple of Youtube videos Klipsch did about the new features.  I will post a link to all of that

On 4/5/2019 at 12:50 PM, fmalloy said:

... like everyone else?"

Tell here not everyone else has those 'little white cube speakers.'

I never have. While I do now have a pair of older LaScalas, I do have some smaller JBL Monitor 25s, that will trounce the little white ones, as well as Hetesy IIs, and Jbl 4311s, basically the pro version of the historic JBL L100 Century speakers.

Bruce