Sub Connection Options

dwillie

Thinking of adding a sub to a system I use on my desk in my office.  The sub needs to be on the small side so I can hide it out of the way.  I am a little confused on what would be the best way to make the connection from my receiver to the sub.  I'm attaching a photo of the receiver I'm using.  There is no "sub out" and I'm already using the "pre outs" for another use.  I would probably use one of the nice Klipsch subs.  Any suggestions on how best to make the connection?  Thanks,  d.

rotel-rx1052-receiver.jpg

You may not be able to use the pre-out connections, with or without a splitter.

If the pre-out connection provides only a constant level output and not one that is volume-slaved, then it won't work as the input level to the sub will not follow increases in the receiver's volume control. I found this out the hard way.

Your solution, like mine, was to use the "B" speaker level outputs to connect to my subwoofer. Therefore, you'll need to choose a subwoofer with speaker level inputs.

One drawback to this approach is, your main speakers will still be fed a full-range signal. If you were hoping to send a high-pass signal to your speakers, you'll have to buy outboard high-pass filters and put them in line with your main speakers. That's what I did with my Heresy's.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I know my pre-outs are controlled by the main volume control because I'm using the pre-outs to send a signal to another amp, which powers another set of speakers in another room (works pretty good).  The volume control works for both speaker sets.  So the Y-cord idea would work too I suppose.  Although (I'm new at this), I would be sending a full range signal to the sub.  Does the sub's crossover handle this full range signal?

I hadn't thought of using the zone-out jacks.  As I understand it, the receiver can send different independent signals to each zone simultaneously.  FM to one, CD to another, phono to another and so on.  Or it can send the same signal to all the zones.  I can see where I could send a common signal to the sub via the zone out.  Any reason one would sound better than the other? Zone V.S. Pre- Out? 

By the way, this receiver surprised me.  Rotel RX-1052.  100 watts.  It has a very warm and sweet sound.  Kind of a lazy mellowness with a nice crisp top end.  Reminds me of my old HK730.

Thanks all for your comments.  d.

the pre-outs with splitters is probably the most intuitive way to do this.  But if you don't have splitters handy, you can try a zone output.  I'm not sure if your Rotel has a setting to tell zone-2 to follow/sync-with both the main zone's input and volume control - that's the wrinkle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dwillie said:

I would be sending a full range signal to the sub.  Does the sub's crossover handle this full range signal?

Yes the low pass filter setting on an active (amp and controls all contained in the sub) will handle a full freq range signal and reject the higher freqs that the sub can't handle. If you're talking about a passive sub with a separate amp you will need a separate filter also. I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1