Looking for nice separates...thoughts please

zedturbo

Hello all, 
New to higher-end home theater and it's time for me to move into the world of 4k and higher quality audio (within a reasonable budget),that is. My current setup is a Yamaha Rx-v1800 a/v receiver and Klipsch RF-82 front towers, RC-62 center, RS52 rear, and RSW-10. Just bought a Sony 75" 900F as well. The bottom line is I'm tossing around the idea of using separates instead of all-in-one receiver. Looking at either Marantz MM8077 7-ch 150 watts or ATI AT525NC 5-channel Amplifier (200W RMS per channel). I seem to like the Marantz AV7705 as a processor from the research I've already done. Any thoughts on these amps combined with the processor? I'm reading that audio quality is better with separates for many reasons but wasn't opposed to a really good A/V receiver either like a buddy of mine recommends. Thanks everyone!!!

I know the ATI is quite a bit more money but I realize that you def get what you pay for these days. I just keep reading about people saying that the ATI is a "bright" amp and apparently people also think that Klipsch is a "bright" speaker so the two together might not be a good match but I like the thought of having the class D so the amp doesn't have to be nearly as heavy or put out as much heat and also the 200w/ch. compared to 150w/ch. is also a nice benefit even though the speakers are rated at 98db so we don't need too much power but I'm sure the Klipsch won't mind it lol

3 hours ago, zedturbo said:

I just keep reading about people saying that the ATI is a "bright" amp

Not bright but neutral, no coloration.  Similar to Acurus and Anthem from my experience.

3 hours ago, zedturbo said:

also the 200w/ch. compared to 150w/ch.

The ATI is a true 200w/ch all channels driven while the Marantz is 150w/ch with 2 channels driven.  Just wanted to point that out.

Bill

1 hour ago, zedturbo said:

This one isn't a full 150w into all channels driven simultaneously?

Marantz MM8077 Amplifier

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 128.4 watts
1% distortion at 150.3 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 113.9 watts
1% distortion at 125.4 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 108.9 watts
1% distortion at 116.8 watts

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8801-surround-processor-amp-mm8077-amplifier-ht-labs-measures

Bill

Wow! I def didn't do enough research then. Thank you for that link. I would like to find a bench test on that ATi 200x5 amp as well but clearly, I won't be choosing the Marantz amp. I believe the Ati is rated at true stated power...hopefully. Your opinion on the Marantz AV7705 then in conjunction with the ATi AT525NC? Thank you

7 minutes ago, zedturbo said:

clearly, I won't be choosing the Marantz amp

Just for the record, I am by no means able to tell you much about the MM8077 other than what I have read.  It does look like a well made piece with high quality parts.  Under most conditions provided driving efficient Klipsch speakers, I bet the Marantz will be a fine addition to a multichannel rig.

Bill

I'm getting some negative feed back from another thread I'm on by saying that I'm wasting money on high end electronics by using inadequate speakers. Being that you guys are hardcore Klipsch users (so am I) would you guys say that by me stilling using the 1st series Reference line, I'm too out dated and just throwing unnecessary money out the window by overloading on new electronics instead of starting from scratch on speakers as well? I know the sub has to go to a larger unit but the rest?? I don't have the funds for a complete HT make over nor was that the goal. 😪    

40 minutes ago, zedturbo said:

Being that you guys are hardcore Klipsch users (so am I) would you guys say that by me stilling using the 1st series Reference line, I'm too out dated and just throwing unnecessary money out the window by overloading on new electronics instead of starting from scratch on speakers as well?

Yours are actually Reference IV like my RF-63s/RC-64 combo.  My RS-35s are Reference III.  I have been using quality separates for more than 10 years and have been very pleased with the sound quality.

42 minutes ago, zedturbo said:

I'm getting some negative feed back from another thread I'm on by saying that I'm wasting money on high end electronics by using inadequate speakers.

Don't listen to that nonsense.  As revealing as Klipsch speakers are, a quality front end is a really good thing.

Bill

Parasound and Acurus make nice bottom of high-end gear.  I loved my ACT-3 with Klipsch upgrade and would still be running it but for lack of parts after a lightning strike.  The ACT-4 looks killer.  I am enjoying my current Integra 80.1 and would look hard at Integra if I upgrade.