Opinions, decisions or DIY? Setting up and completing the new place.

rlmerrell69

14 minutes ago, JohnA said:

The sloped ceiling will be an advantage for bass smoothness.  Use at least 2 subs that are capable of -3 dB at 20 Hz, in room.  Place them near mid-wall front and rear.  Don't overlook the Parts Express sub kits.

Modern HT receivers are rated at x watts, 2 channels driven.  The power supplies are so weak that the all channels driven output is FAR less, commonly half.  So, if you are cranking it with all channels on, you might be pushing the amp section too hard.  Sounds like it. 

The best my system ever sounded was with 4 La Scalas and a Heresy center. Use the largest rears you can and make sure at least the squawkers and tweeters are above the height of your furniture.  Choose from the same line so they sound as alike as possible. 

Have you tested the parts express kits? How well do they run compared to a Tuba HT? Originally I liked the 18inch subwoofer flatpack parts express has. Then I saw the Full Marty-Sub and liked what I saw on 'paper' and youtube reviews. Now I ran into the Tuba HT and really curious if it's really that good. I don't mind doing a Tuba as I have plenty of height space at the front wall and back wall. If you don't mind me picking at your brain a little, why near-mid? If I can't place my towers and Tuba where I would want them, I don't mind laying it down acting as a 'table' in the front mid and rear mid. 

Moder receiver specs sometimes overwhelm me. At the time of cranking, I only have the L and R channels connected. So the Onkyo TX-RZ810 should have had plenty of power to drive the RP-8000Fs I have.

As for the matching speakers, you're suggesting I get towers or at least RP-600Ms for my rears?

14 hours ago, rlmerrell69 said:

I went with the Tuba HT and Tuba HT Low Profile(even though it's 6ft tall).

I'm thinking of making 2 of the LP ones and make them look like pillars. I'm wondering why point the port towards the wall and not towards the viewer? Maybe it doesn't matter?

Anyhow, many questions for these subs. That will be for their form and for me to read through all the threads to try answering the questions on my own.

Excellent choices. I’ve got those plans as well. I like the option of placing the THTLP on its end, that’s a big space saver. I think the horn mouth is pointed towards the wall to basically lengthen the horn?  At least that’s my understanding of the theory. With your angled ceiling, I’d think that the horn mouth firing up would be the way to go. Honestly, after hearing the little T18 and what it’s capable of, I cant imagine two of the THTs in the same room. That should be spectacular. I’d also think capable of causing minor structural damage. I do like the idea of the “pillars” I think that would look great. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

18 hours ago, rlmerrell69 said:

Have you tested the parts express kits? How well do they run compared to a Tuba HT? Originally I liked the 18inch subwoofer flatpack parts express has. Then I saw the Full Marty-Sub and liked what I saw on 'paper' and youtube reviews. Now I ran into the Tuba HT and really curious if it's really that good. I don't mind doing a Tuba as I have plenty of height space at the front wall and back wall. If you don't mind me picking at your brain a little, why near-mid? If I can't place my towers and Tuba where I would want them, I don't mind laying it down acting as a 'table' in the front mid and rear mid. 

Moder receiver specs sometimes overwhelm me. At the time of cranking, I only have the L and R channels connected. So the Onkyo TX-RZ810 should have had plenty of power to drive the RP-8000Fs I have.

As for the matching speakers, you're suggesting I get towers or at least RP-600Ms for my rears?

Like you, I find the Reference hierarchy confusing, so I don't know which ones to recommend other than to try for rears with the same tweeter and as similar a bass system as possible including the same speaker in all 5 major positions. 

My brother built a 15" PE sub from one of their kits.  He built his own cabinet from 3/4" birch to match my former rear channel La Scalas.  His in-room measurements were quite good.  I think it pretty well matched their in-room f3 of 19 Hz. Set properly, you don't notice he has a subwoofer.

There is a research paper floating around the forum discussing placement of multiple subs.  The optimum, practical setup is 4 mid-wall, then 4 in corners, then 2 mid-wall.  This results in the smoothest bass response throughout the room.  Multiple sources excite different room modes (resonant frequencies) that don't reinforce each other.  Then, no seat is more bassy than another or only hears one bass note.  Multiple subwoofers need less excursion that one and thus produce less distortion. 

I have never been able to hear any of the tuba subs.  They are at least partially horn loaded, but with small mouths (and some look short), causing response ripples.