Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
rlmerrell69

Opinions, decisions or DIY? Setting up and completing the new place.

Recommended Posts

Good day everyone!

 

I just moved to a home and trying to figure out how to setup and complete the Klipsch system.

The living room is open to the dining and kitchen, and at the end. So it's got 3 walls where the 4th is what's open to the dining and kitchen. There is a sliding door to the patio and 1 large window.

The ceiling is slanted, back side being about 8ft and the front site is 12ft much higher. I still do have my Quintet 5.0 system with a 12 inch sub. I was planning on putting all matching speakers with my RP-8000F towers but not sure if it's reasonable to use towers for the rear as well considering they're up there in price. I could get away with the RP-600M. But I stumbled on the RB-81 ii, 8 inch woofer bookshelf speaker. I thought this would be a great match to the towers I have. On to the questions!

 

Should I go for the RB81ii or the RP600M for my rear speakers? Or should I get the RP-8000F towers?

I have a SW-112 sub-woofer, what would be an upgrade to that? Or should I build my own sub-woofer? I'm considering the Full Marty sub-woofer build.

Finally, what do y'all use for acoustic dampening? My walls are bare and one side is tall. Not sure how to tackle making sure acoustic panels are in the proper place.

 

ADDED:

On another topic but related, not sure if I should create a new thread for it but we'll see. The time I did raise the volume on my pair of RP-8000F to reference levels... They didn't sound that great as I assumed they would. Maybe they haven't been broken in? I've had them for a couple months but never played them past 65(on the 0 to 98 scale?). OR could it be the receiver I got, I have regrets on it. I got the Onkyo TX-RZ810 and it says 200 W/Ch (6 Ohms), 130 W/Ch (8 Ohms) but only gives the option for 4ohms or 6ohms. The manual says to leave it at 6ohms as it serves both 6 and 8 ohms... But being a first timer using this brand, i'm skeptical because on the site it literally lists 8ohms. And this ARC feature breaks after a couple days. My Yamaha RX-V377 is 8ohms and really goes well with my Quintet system. I can almost admit it sounds better than this Denon trying to power these RP-8000F towers. I'll also add these are the only speakers connected to the Denon at this time. Maybe i'm over-driving it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a picture or two that might help.  I don't visualize well.  B)

+++

 

In general I would say that bigger is better.  Because I don't visualize well I'm not sure what the rear soundstage is.  Is it open or does close-in to a back wall?  If you have a back wall then a bookshelf would be best because you can set them on different things, bookshelf, wall-mount, speaker stands.  Floor standing speakers take more floor space.

 

And even though I just suggested bigger was better, I have the RP-600M's.  They are incredibly versatile and sound great as mains or surrounds at a much less cost than the floorstanders.  My observation is they don't sound great at ultra high levels or very low SPL.  They need a little juice and you don't want to overdrive them but the middle has a very full sweet spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If you have a picture or two that might help.  I don't visualize well.  B)

+++

 

In general I would say that bigger is better.  Because I don't visualize well I'm not sure what the rear soundstage is.  Is it open or does close-in to a back wall?  If you have a back wall then a bookshelf would be best because you can set them on different things, bookshelf, wall-mount, speaker stands.  Floor standing speakers take more floor space.

 

And even though I just suggested bigger was better, I have the RP-600M's.  They are incredibly versatile and sound great as mains or surrounds at a much less cost than the floorstanders.  My observation is they don't sound great at ultra high levels or very low SPL.  They need a little juice and you don't want to overdrive them but the middle has a very full sweet spot.

 

Hey Wvu80!

 

Appreciate the reply! the front wall is closed, the back wall is closed. I imagine the seating arrangement won't be against the wall. So there would be some space between the back wall and the back of the couch/sofa but not a whole lot.

 

I'm a little 'confused' as far as the Klipsch line-up goes. I see the R-28F and the R-820F then we have the RP-280F and RP-8000F. It makes sense that Reference Premier is a more premium line-up. But then there's the other Reference line-up with RC-62 ii and RC64 iii, RS-62 ii and RF-61 ii. Is this other Reference Line-up a higher quality than the RP line-up? On paper it looks to be more premium. But i'm not sure when it comes to hearing them in person? I see you have the RC-64 iii and that thing must really blow things away according to it's specs. This is why i'm considering the RF-61 ii for my rears, then I come to think they're almost 10 years old and Klipsch, i'm sure, will be updating those soon. I'm even considering the RC-62 ii for my center as well. Then there's also the price, they're cheaper than the RP speakers in the open-box, used market.

 

It's difficult for me to choose as the dealers around here absolutely SUCK. I've gone to 3 of them and their setup is complete crap. The sound matrix is not correct, the settings are totally out of this world and well they are, in the fullest sense of the word, clueless about HT products and setup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rlmerrell69 said:

I'm a little 'confused' as far as the Klipsch line-up goes.

You are not the only one, my friend!  It is confusing.  Let me try to clarify briefly.  All of these are two-way speakers.

 

R - Entry level.

 

RP - Reference Premier  Mid level, considered to have very good sound but the cabs will not be the premium veneer.

 

RF- Reference, this is the flagship speaker in this series.  It has better sound and furniture quality finish than the RP series.

 

4 hours ago, rlmerrell69 said:

I see the R-28F and the R-820F then we have the RP-280F and RP-8000F.

 

R-28F is the older model being phased out.  It has two 8" woofers and is floorstanding.

RP-280F - Older Reference Premier model being phased out. Two 8" woofers floorstanding.

The RP-800F is the latest and greatest of the mid-level speakers.  Two 8" woofers, floorstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You are not the only one, my friend!  It is confusing.  Let me try to clarify briefly.  All of these are two-way speakers.

 

R - Entry level.

 

RP - Reference Premier  Mid level, considered to have very good sound but the cabs will not be the premium veneer.

 

RF- Reference, this is the flagship speaker in this series.  It has better sound and furniture quality finish than the RP series.

 

 

R-28F is the older model being phased out.  It has two 8" woofers and is floorstanding.

RP-280F - Older Reference Premier model being phased out. Two 8" woofers floorstanding.

The RP-800F is the latest and greatest of the mid-level speakers.  Two 8" woofers, floorstanding.

 

So, I should go with the RC-62 ii and RB-81 ii?

Here is a picture of the living room. It's still under renovations.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fwiw. I’m using an RC-62ii with RP-280Fs which are the previous model to your

RP-8000Fs, so I’m going to say that will work well. I’d prefer the RC-64 but it’s really big, in size and $, plus my wife is still adjusting to the RP-280Fs, so that’s not going to happen anytime soon.  I have used RB-61iis in that set up and thought they sounded good, but I had placement issues with those and switched to RP502S, still some placement issues (WAF). I’ll bet the RB-81ii would sound great with your RP8000.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, rlmerrell69 said:

I'll get on my computer. The picture isn't posting, unless I'm blind. 

Pictures are limited to 2 MB per post.

 

Here is a good quick n' dirty photo resizer.  Set the image for about 600 pixels.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

Fwiw. I’m using an RC-62ii with RP-280Fs which are the previous model to your

RP-8000Fs, so I’m going to say that will work well. I’d prefer the RC-64 but it’s really big, in size and $, plus my wife is still adjusting to the RP-280Fs, so that’s not going to happen anytime soon.  I have used RB-61iis in that set up and thought they sounded good, but I had placement issues with those and switched to RP502S, still some placement issues (WAF). I’ll bet the RB-81ii would sound great with your RP8000.

 

Nice! I thought they would be a good fit considering the woofer size. I just bought a RC-62 ii for a decent price. I hope it's in the great condition they claimed it to be.

There was a pair of RB-81 ii for $200 fantastic condition. Unfortunately it the guy didn't want to ship them and I couldn't drive fast enough(about 350 to 400 miles away) to ****** them before someone else could. The only concern I had about the RB/RC/R? series is the tweeter.

 

Me and a group of friends enjoy reference sound levels so I feel confident with the advice from y'all and Klipsch this will sound awesome and hold up with reference levels. And if it doesn't, well I can always sell them and get matching RP speakers.

2019-03-21 18.12.37.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

Forgot the Subwoofer question. I just built a T18 tuba sub it was fun and sounds great. Bill Fitzmaurice has some great designs, I’m definitely going to build another one of his subs. If you are moderately handy, it’s worth a look.

https://billfitzmaurice.info/index.html

 

 

I'm pretty handy, the difficulties are trying to cut a straight line and within measurements. I saw some flat packs for the Full Marty Sub. I think the cost for the amp, sub and box would be about $800 range. For 2 sets and 1 amp it's about 1500.

 

I see the THT Box (Tuba HT) looks like it tops the Marty Sub and cheaper? Doesn't really recommend a amp to go with it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rlmerrell69 said:

 

I see the THT Box (Tuba HT) looks like it tops the Marty Sub and cheaper? Doesn't really recommend a amp to go with it though.

 

The Tubas don’t seem to need too much amp. I’m using a Yung 300w plate amp. I doubt you’d need much more than that for any of them, even the big ones. As far as cost they are really reasonable. I’ve got less than $300 in mine. However, it is still unfinished so a little more to spend. You will need to measure and make fairly straight cuts though 😀

Oh and you’ll need to follow directions. The designer is big on following directions, and sticking with the plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 11:14 PM, M_Klipsch said:

 

The Tubas don’t seem to need too much amp. I’m using a Yung 300w plate amp. I doubt you’d need much more than that for any of them, even the big ones. As far as cost they are really reasonable. I’ve got less than $300 in mine. However, it is still unfinished so a little more to spend. You will need to measure and make fairly straight cuts though 😀

Oh and you’ll need to follow directions. The designer is big on following directions, and sticking with the plan.

 

I love it!

 

Sounds like efficient quality bass for a great price. Maybe, if anyone hasn't done it, i'll build a Full Marty Sub and a Tuba HT and compare. It will be quite some time before I get to that point though. As you can see the home is still being renovated.

 

On another topic but related, not sure if I should create a new thread for it but we'll see. The time I did raise the volume on my pair of RP-8000F to reference levels... They didn't sound that great as I assumed they would. Maybe they haven't been broken in? I've had them for a couple months but never played them past 65(on the 0 to 98 scale?). OR could it be the receiver I got, I have regrets on it. I got the Onkyo TX-RZ810 and it says 200 W/Ch (6 Ohms), 130 W/Ch (8 Ohms) but only gives the option for 4ohms or 6ohms. The manual says to leave it at 6ohms as it serves both 6 and 8 ohms... But being a first timer using this brand, i'm skeptical because on the site it literally lists 8ohms. And this ARC feature breaks after a couple days. My Yamaha RX-V377 is 8ohms and really goes well with my Quintet system. I can almost admit it sounds better than this Denon trying to power these RP-8000F towers. I'll also add these are the only speakers connected to the Denon at this time. Maybe i'm over-driving it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 9:25 PM, M_Klipsch said:

Forgot the Subwoofer question. I just built a T18 tuba sub it was fun and sounds great. Bill Fitzmaurice has some great designs, I’m definitely going to build another one of his subs. If you are moderately handy, it’s worth a look.

https://billfitzmaurice.info/index.html

 

 

i just bought 2 plans from bill. It will be a journey!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 10:57 AM, rlmerrell69 said:

I got the Denon TX-RZ810 

I think you meant Onkyo.:P

 

Nice room by the way.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 10:40 PM, M_Klipsch said:

Nice! Which ones did you decide to go with?  

I went with the Tuba HT and Tuba HT Low Profile(even though it's 6ft tall).

I'm thinking of making 2 of the LP ones and make them look like pillars. I'm wondering why point the port towards the wall and not towards the viewer? Maybe it doesn't matter?

Anyhow, many questions for these subs. That will be for their form and for me to read through all the threads to try answering the questions on my own.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, willland said:

I think you meant Onkyo.:P

 

Nice room by the way.

 

Bill

 

Haha! Yes! Thanks for catching that. Maybe I really should have bought a Denon?

Thanks for the compliment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sloped ceiling will be an advantage for bass smoothness.  Use at least 2 subs that are capable of -3 dB at 20 Hz, in room.  Place them near mid-wall front and rear.  Don't overlook the Parts Express sub kits.

 

Modern HT receivers are rated at x watts, 2 channels driven.  The power supplies are so weak that the all channels driven output is FAR less, commonly half.  So, if you are cranking it with all channels on, you might be pushing the amp section too hard.  Sounds like it. 

 

The best my system ever sounded was with 4 La Scalas and a Heresy center. Use the largest rears you can and make sure at least the squawkers and tweeters are above the height of your furniture.  Choose from the same line so they sound as alike as possible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...