Weight of the soul

Bosco-d-gama

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Hallucinations are common.  If you can dream while asleep, what prevents you from doing so while awake?

Daydreams are common, your brain just wanders probably more when bored? Hallucinations are a different thing to me, I have never had one.

But to be stopped as your walking alone because of something unexpectedly you see right in front of you that you have never seen before and in 5 seconds it's gone. Was it my brain playing tricks on me, who knows, if so why something which I knew nothing about or thought of before. 

There was a hall about 12' long, 3 doors 2 were closed the kid's bedrooms, one open with the light on, which was the bathroom. It was at night and the bathroom light was shining into the hall through the doorway and lit up most of the hall. As I turned toward the hall is when I saw it,  whatever it was took about 3 steps turned to the bathroom and walked in. When it went into the bathroom the light in the hall was somewhat blocked just as it was a real person, after it went in the bathroom the light was back to normal and not blocked. At first, I kind of thought it was one of the kids so I just stood there, after about 2 minutes of thinking about what I saw and hearing no noise from the bathroom I went to look in. It was empty, I turned and opened both of the kid's bedrooms and all three were all asleep. I never took my eyes off the hall and no one came out, it was not one of the kids. 

I can't explain what it was, but after asking around I have an idea which still makes it no easier to understand. We talked to the owner of the house, we were renting it because we really wanted to live there and the lady would not sell it. It was well over 100 years old and built by her mother and sat on 18 acres surrounded by swamp on three sides with amazing giant trees all around. We liked it because it looked great and very private and about 3 miles from town which was very busy. 

As we started asking questions we found out many others had had different types of experiences in that house either as a guest or a resident,  some refuse to go around that house again, I guess they had a bad experience? We were told to talk to someone at the church that was a couple of miles away, a previous resident had church members over and the head of the church did something to the house, bless it or whatever. We were brought into the kitchen which had a cathedral ceiling and was shown a cross hanging on a door to the attic, were told to not remove it which we had no reason to anyway. A few days later I did get up there to open the door to just look in and it was just empty space, I don't know why, maby it wasn't the smart thing to do but I was curious. 

The whole thing was just strange but not scary in any way and we loved living there, we only left because the owner would not give us a long term lease or sell and we did not like the insecurity. No one lived there after us and the house was left to go back to nature as the owner described it, she didn't want to tie the house up for her kids if they wanted to sell the property as she was getting old. 

That's the story, I have no better explanation. No, I was not drinking, smoking or anything else, when this happened, and I do not do pills or anything else........just for the record. :lol:

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:
2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Pre-programmed hard wiring that prioritizes the avoidance of being eaten by a lion, tiger, or bear.

Sleep reverses the polarity?

Also, a little shock therapy might tend to reboot the brain?

I have had a little shock therapy, not by a doctor but more of just by accident, it does tend to quickly get your attention. :huh2:

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That's the story, I have no better explanation.

I had a hallucination as a young kid once.  After I woke up from sleeping on the floor in my parents' room, I started to walk toward the kitchen.  I was definitely awake.  I don't know what possessed me to open their bedroom closet, which was on the way, but I did.  When I opened it, I saw goblins (whatever a goblin is supposed to look like).  It scared the heck out of me, and I ran right back to where I was sleeping and tried to go back to sleep.  I couldn't go back to sleep, so I went into the kitchen and told my folks what I saw.  They said I was probably still dreaming.

• Moderators

Or in a state between sleep and being awake, the brain goes through different things between falling asleep and waking. When I was younger I would remember my dreams more often, for a long time it was the same dream over and over every night.

I tend to get up at night to go to the bathroom, for about 3 years I would wake up at the same time once every night. There is no clock in the bedroom but I would sometimes walk into the kitchen to get a drink and either when walking in or out I would look at the clock to see what time it was and it was always the same time, 3:33. It took me a while to realize it was happening,  after a few years it just stopped. Maby my kidneys had a schedule?

• Like 1

Humanity has yet to understand so much and even at this stage we know and have theories for some fairly peculiar things. Perhaps biology offers just a vessel for transient spirit occupation? Think of the things we accept as ‘given’ today that decades ago would’ve been immediately discounted as fantasy. Insofar as apparitions are concerned we also have out of body experiences and near death accounts in need of reconciliation. We are reaching for the stars and into the depths of atoms. Do not limit curiosity, encourage it.

Its funny.  Every other single living organism on this planet just goes through the process of being born, procreating, and dying.  Humans are the only one that needs creative complex ideas to kill the time while we wait to die.  Its bleak, but the reality is far more simple, everything we do is for procreating and keeping the species alive.  Ghosts, aliens, spirits, visions, are just all figments of our overly evolved brains. If we cant see, touch, hear, feel it does it exist?? Maybe, but something you cant prove or disprove just seems like another meaningless task to pass the time. And I guess if it brings you enjoyment then who are we to discourage you. We are all just trying to enjoy the time we have.....

• Like 1

Ok, my 2 cents just because I like deep thoughts.  Basically if the Christian idea of a soul is true then you have to consider that heaven isn't here on earth, so basically you gotta float off to outer space, and if that is true, if a soul has weight, you'd never leave the atmosphere.  So both can't be true.  If you want to go down this path there are a few possibilities:  

1. A soul has weight but there is another invisible force that we can't describe that sucks your soul out to outer space.  

2. A soul has no weight and is free to basically go where ever.  

3. A soul has weight, can never leave the atmosphere, and heaven is actually here on earth.  

4. Everybody's just making up a bunch of stuff.  

5. The "soul sleep" people are onto something.  

What can't be true is that heaven is in outer space, a soul has weight, and there is no invisible force that somehow sucks the souls up to heaven, although, this is basically what the people who believe in "soul sleep" believes, at least that force is dormant for the time being.  If you study the Bible, you could deduct that we actually all go to heaven at the same time, and if so, you would have to deduct that your soul is basically stuck here on earth after you die.  They believe that when you die you go into "soul sleep" where the soul still exists in the grave but you aren't conscious.  When the rapture comes, all the believers float off to heaven.  If they are right then it could be deducted that the soul has weight.  

But if you are into string theory and possibilities of alternate realities/dimensions then the "weight of the soul" may actually drag you into another alternate dimension when you die.  What we describe as gravity would have no bearing on the souls weight as its weight is in some other dimension bot this one... 

The notion of ‘weight’ should be considered more historical than literal. Mc Dougall decided the ‘soul’ should have weight so that’s what he looked for. Now we know of other types of energies, fields, dimensions, etcetera........ Who knows what may constitute the physical characteristics of a soul. Quantum sensors can offer a variety of measures. Don’t limit the problem solution set to that of mass/weight. Also leave out religions as they are faith based, not science based. If in the end (no pun intended) the science should validate religion then they can say ‘I told you so’.

4 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Also leave out religions as they are faith based, not science based. If in the end (no pun intended) the science should validate religion then they can say ‘I told you so’. 

Most Protestant and Catholic theologians understand is as faith AND reason, there being a dynamic tension between the two. It takes both, the problem or tension being that one seems to invalidate the other, but they both exist. Like, for example, total free will against the total sovereignty of God. I don't have to know how it works, but I believe it does. 😉