RP-600 Review in Stereophile

fmalloy

Yes, it is indeed positive but it raises some questions about Klipsch's efficiency ratings.  ..I don't have the review in front of me but Atkinson measured it to be something like 4 or 5 db lower than Klipch's stated rating.  So who is right?  ..I looked in the back of the issue for a response from Klipsch in the Manufactures' Comments section but... nothing.  I would have expected Klipsch to reply if they wished to defend the accuracy of their efficient ratings.   

17 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

This is typical of the Klipsch's efficiency ratings when tested by Stereophile. I always give it 6 to 7db which appears to be right on.  Nothing new.

I don't follow.  ..So who is misrepresenting the truth??  ..I wouldn't like a Klipsch speaker less to learn that it is less efficient than it's rated.  But it would reflect poorly on Klipsch and make me less likely to believe other specs.

So what is the right number??

1 minute ago, glens said:

They're not the only "rag" to measure less than "Klipsch rated."

Perhaps... and it is also true that Atkinson seems to always measure speakers to be less efficient than specified by the manufacturer.  ...But NEVER to the degree that this particular speaker came up short on its efficiency rating.

22 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Perhaps... and it is also true that Atkinson seems to always measure speakers to be less efficient than specified by the manufacturer.  ...But NEVER to the degree that this particular speaker came up short on its efficiency rating.

Just like if you read the difference of chamber vs in-room.  Typically with Paradigm it is in the neighborhood of 4db.  Klipsch probably does 1/8 space room gain.  Gets you within a db or 2.  Nothing new none the less.

29 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Yes, I see it all over the map with Klipsch.  Look at the two measurements of the Palladium speakers on their site.

38 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Klipsch probably does 1/8 space room gain.  Gets you within a db or 2.  Nothing new none the less.

I may be way off hear, but doesn't Klipsch measure efficiency/sensitivity with speakers corner loaded?

Bill