Receiver running hot, how do you keep it cooler?

spencersmb

Just hooked up my new Denon 4500H and stuck it in my center console cabinet. 

This is what it looks like for context: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/trent-austin-design-adalberto-tv-stand-for-tvs-up-to-65-trnt4127.html?piid=36799512

After watching a movie for an hour or TV - I went over and touched the top and it was pretty dang hot. Wondering what others do for keep a receiver running cooler and hopefully increasing the life of it as well. Is there a giant heat sink to put on it or what lol.

Thanks,

Spencer

I have a Marantz SR5012 that I felt was operating at elevated temperatures, even with my equipment cabinet door open and the back area opened also. If I remember correctly, it was operating around 110 degrees at max heat, but in my opinion, it still needed some cooling.

Thanks to a forum member’s posting about the AC INFINITY in the “What I Got Today” forum, I purchased one and I’ve been completely satisfied with its performance! I went with the AC INFINITY AIRCOM T8 because it has rear exhaust and my equipment cabinet is open in the back. Now I can operate my 5.1.2 system with the equipment cabinet door closed and the AC INFINITY keeps the SR5012’s temperature between my 83-85 degrees setting; well worth the $109 that I paid. Here is a picture of the AC INFINITY AIRCOM T8 in my system.

406432736_HT-IMG_1463a.thumb.jpg.06dc49e4ae38c576e85ba907d4c75457.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Buck115 said:

I have a Marantz SR5012 that I felt was operating at elevated temperatures, even with my equipment cabinet door open and the back area opened also. If I remember correctly, it was operating around 110 degrees at max heat, but in my opinion, it still needed some cooling.

Thanks to a forum member’s posting about the AC INFINITY in the “What I Got Today” forum, I purchased one and I’ve been completely satisfied with its performance! I went with the AC INFINITY AIRCOM T8 because it has rear exhaust and my equipment cabinet is open in the back. Now I can operate my 5.1.2 system with the equipment cabinet door closed and the AC INFINITY keeps the SR5012’s temperature between my 83-85 degrees setting; well worth the $109 that I paid. Here is a picture of the AC INFINITY AIRCOM T8 in my system.

I looks like it was meant for just Marantz gear.

Very nice.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spencersmb said:

It gets pretty hot to touch being in the center. Yea thanks for that link @TasDom
Have you used one of those before?

No, I have not used the Infinity fans but have seen them mentioned many, many times. I have a pair or Sherbourn C-12 units that I have on my amps. No longer produced but can be found on Ebay from time to time.

image.jpeg

On 2/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, wvu80 said:

Those are lovely.  I personally like the black and I like the grills.  Not everyone does.  B)

Not my place to be critical but I continue to be surprised that someone wanting more than a thousand bucks for an item doesn't think to list the S/N or even a pic of the crossovers.

15 minutes ago, TasDom said:

No, I have not used the Infinity fans but have seen them mentioned many, many times. I have a pair or Sherbourn C-12 units that I have on my amps. No longer produced but can be found on Ebay from time to time.

image.jpeg

+1.

Hello Spencer,

I have a Denon AVR 4300H (same model but 2 years older than the 4500) and the amplifier has the same issue. It gets very hot, up to the point that the video circuit starts to fail. (I mentioned this in another thread a few weeks ago).

I have changed the (standard) impedance setting of the amplifier from 8 Ohms to 4 Ohms after which the amplifier runs much cooler and without video hick-ups.

1 hour ago, Buck115 said:

I have a Marantz SR5012 that I felt was operating at elevated temperatures,  (snip)

You have plenty of room at the top above the amp and the cooler.  I use four half-inch rubber pads to raise my AVR for increased cooling from the intake on the bottom.

With your cooler (super nice looking!) it might not be necessary, but it wouldn't hurt either.

@wvu80 @JefDC @TasDom @weziewoo @Buck115

Thanks for the reply. I just did a test and had the receiver running watching a movie and then also just on cable for about 3 hours running. It has 7 speakers hooked up to it and video running through it. I stuck a thermometer that I use to take my temp if I'm sick LOL, and stuck it to the rear end of the receiver and it recorded 110 degrees and then just showed the word Hi, so I'm thinking it could have slowly ticked up a few more degrees. I think eco mode is not on as well. I did read that Denon tends to run hot but damn! I guess I'll look at investing into the A/C affinity unit and really put it to the test. I also am thinking about changing unit locations.

Cheers,

Spencer

Edited by spencersmb

2 hours ago, spencersmb said:

It has 7 speakers hooked up to it and video running through it. I stuck a thermometer that I use to take my temp if I'm sick LOL, and stuck it to the rear end of the receiver and it recorded 110 degrees

My stand alone AVR is a Marantz 6011.  It runs much hotter at 5.1 bi-amped (7 internal amps active) than it does at 3.1 (3 amps).

I put extra distance from the surface on both my AVR's.  I don't pay as much attention to hot air OUT as I do cool air IN. 

4 hours ago, spencersmb said:

I think eco mode is not on as well

From Audiohaulics.com

Eco Mode - Avoid like the Plague!

As much as I am in favor of conserving resources and reducing my carbon footprint on this planet, running Eco mode on your AV receiver isn't going to slow the rising ocean levels or lower the acidity of our oceans. Instead, it's going to starve your speakers of power.  With Eco mode engaged, it limited power on the bench to 20 watts/ch no matter how many channels were driven.  This is worse than the dreaded 4-ohm impedance switch many receiver companies are using today.  Make triple sure you NEVER set this receiver to Eco if you plan on using the internal amplifiers.  I'd go so far as to omit the button from the remote control in case someone accidentally hits it and engages that mode.

Caution:  No matter how tempted you may be to do so, DO NOT change the default "8 ohm min" impedance setting of ANY AV receiver.  All this does is starve your speakers of power, simply so Denon could get 4-ohm certification (at a reduced power level) without making the receiver get too hot during their power tests.

7 hours ago, JefDC said:

I have changed the (standard) impedance setting of the amplifier from 8 Ohms to 4 Ohms after which the amplifier runs much cooler and without video hick-ups.

I hope this helps. Here is the link to the authors page.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1/menu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Carpenter,

the article says that changing to 4 Ohms will bring the temperature down but at the cost of less maximum power. 

See the text in red in your response: '... Denon could get 4-ohm certification (at a reduced power level) without making the receiver get too hot ...'

It actually means that the Denon's are not the best amplifiers for speakers which dip below 4 Ohm (as mine do) and the article even recommends using external amplifiers in that case.

If ones amplifier IS allready running too hot I still recommend to change to 4 Ohms and have a cool and trouble free amplifier but with reduced power versus a situation that the amplifier runs so hot that the video section starts to fail (as mine does).

Edited by JefDC
Grammar

@JefDC

If you have a problem with your equipment, please do not recommend to others to go against the advice of other professionals because you had some isolated faulty equipment problems.

All common speakers designs dip below 8ohm (even dip below 4ohm) at various frequencies, typically lower ones. 8 ohm is an average, not lowest. If you are using Klipsch speakers, with their higher sensitivity ratings, lower power usage, and your gear is dying, I would recommend repairs, or new gear. I own the Denon x4400h and x6200w. I have powered 9 full range floor speakers with each Denon I own running both Klipsch and JBL. I never changed either setting eco or ohm.  Never died. The owner of the website I linked to above is the author and trusted advisor. I trust his advice. OK I am out of this thread. Let the flames begin. I appologize for sounding blunt. Just trying to help the larger group here get the best possible outcome from their perfectly fine working equipment that just need a little help cooling inside of cabinets.

For those using a cooling fan product e.g. AC Finity, do you find the fan noise bothersome or is all your gear in closed cabs?  My Denon doesn't run hot now, but ... will be connecting a lot more speakers in the future so am thinking of buying a AC Finity, but the gear will be "out in the open" where I don't want too much distraction / noise.

@314carpenter

Thanks for that info - and that link. I made sure to disable Eco mode. I turned it on and it did make a difference of 5 degrees for me but not at the loss of speaker power - ouch! I looked over that link for the AV x3300w, do you think those settings still apply for the 4500H? I should have noted that I have klipsch rp-502s as rears and rear surrounds, Ref-III 7 Fronts and Ref III center channel. No atmos speakers yet, in the middle of wondering how much BS the up-firing speaker is vs ceiling speakers....

Cheers,

Spencer

I have A Cambridge Audio CXR200 that I feel gets too hot.  I have been thinking about ways to keep it cooler and these AC Infinity fans seem like a great solution.  My very first receiver, a Techniques unit from the mid 80s had a built in cooling fan in the back of the unit that would come on at a certain volume level.  I've often wandered why modern, more powerful units don't come with built in cooling fans.